Upgrading EVIC's & Mileage Correction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
All of you guys who are buying the 13+ Premium EVIC Clusters, what are you doing about your mileage situation?

If your truck has 35k miles and the new EVIC you bought has 22k, which mileage shows up on the EVIC once you install it into your truck?

I'm asking because if the mileage is stored internally in the EVIC then that means there are a ton of Rams out there with way more milage then they are showing.

Also, what happens when you go in for service or warrenty work and the dealer writes down your mileage and it was 35k last service appointment and now they log it as 22k. Your truck would then have Mileage Problems on the VIN.

I'm just curious what all you 13+ Ram owners are doing in this situation.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What most are doing (and everybody should be doing) is buying ones with the right mileage or sending them out to be adjusted. In my case, I didn't want to spend $175 getting it corrected so I bought one with a few more miles than my truck and popped it in when I caught up to it.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What most are doing (and everybody should be doing) is buying ones with the right mileage or sending them out to be adjusted. In my case, I didn't want to spend $175 getting it corrected so I bought one with a few more miles than my truck and popped it in when I caught up to it.
Ok yea I wasn't sure what people were doing. I have a 2012 so I can't upgrade to the 13+ Premium EVIC or else i would. I already have the "upgraded" EVIC for my 2012 so I don't have to worry about this.... I was just curious though what others were doing in this situation.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

neloms

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
3.6L V6
So mileage is stored in the computer and not the EVIC? Thus a flash is required if mileage doesn't match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
So mileage is stored in the computer and not the EVIC? Thus a flash is required if mileage doesn't match?

Mileage is stored in both but do not reference or correct each other. In theory the PCM will always store the true master mileage and can be accessed by the dealer scan software.

With the cluster and any replacement, it has to be sent to a third party shop that will "correct" or adjust the mileage and engine hours to a requested value.

This is why if you ever have a cluster changed at the dealership, they either give you a zero'd out cluster and affix a door label per Federal Law, or they hold your vehicle while they get a replacement cluster re-flashed to the known PCM mileage.

Doing the junk yard route of sourcing and installing a cluster can have it's pitfalls if you are not careful of buying and installing a cluster at the nat's ass exact mileage of the replace cluster matching actual mileage. If you should ever have warranty work that requires them to access your PCM and it is flagged a discrepancy with mileage between it and the cluster, it can create problems if it ever hits a Carfax report or even your local DMV. Once you get a "mileage discrepant" report against your vehicle, it basically will be treated at salvage vehicle value once that scarlet letter is applied.

neloms

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
3.6L V6
Mileage is stored in both but do not reference or correct each other. In theory the PCM will always store the true master mileage and can be accessed by the dealer scan software.

With the cluster and any replacement, it has to be sent to a third party shop that will "correct" or adjust the mileage and engine hours to a requested value.

This is why if you ever have a cluster changed at the dealership, they either give you a zero'd out cluster and affix a door label per Federal Law, or they hold your vehicle while they get a replacement cluster re-flashed to the known PCM mileage.

Doing the junk yard route of sourcing and installing a cluster can have it's pitfalls if you are not careful of buying and installing a cluster at the nat's ass exact mileage of the replace cluster matching actual mileage. If you should ever have warranty work that requires them to access your PCM and it is flagged a discrepancy with mileage between it and the cluster, it can create problems if it ever hits a Carfax report or even your local DMV. Once you get a "mileage discrepant" report against your vehicle, it basically will be treated at salvage vehicle value once that scarlet letter is applied.

Awesome summary, thanks!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

My factory cluster was a mile or two lower than what was in the PCM. I'd venture to guess that less than 5 or 10 miles difference either way wouldn't raise too many eyebrows.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
My factory cluster was a mile or two lower than what was in the PCM. I'd venture to guess that less than 5 or 10 miles difference either way wouldn't raise too many eyebrows.

I agree but the potential is always there.

I installed my cluster with mileage on the high side of what the PCM would have. In theory it really does not affect anything when it comes to warranty claim unless I should have a problem that involves them deep diving into my cluster and then it could raise problems.

mdxers11

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Flame Red
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had tvandnav2go.com do the correction for $175 shipped. It is exactly 2/10ths higher than my oem bezel as they rounded it up. Just going to drive around the block before I put it in.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is there a battery back up in the evic cluster? There has to be otherwise it wouldn't hold info... How about pulling that battery and starting at zero? Which brings up a new point... For those guys getting tunes with a new pcm, how does that affect their true mileage?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
is there a battery back up in the evic cluster? There has to be otherwise it wouldn't hold info... ................

Most modern clusters write and store mileage in a EEPROM chip and that memory retention is not predicated on having a battery backup.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered mine and it should come this week. It’s going to be about a hundred miles off because USPS dropped the ball and didn’t deliver my cluster Friday like they said they would. Irritating.

wtbman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just got my cluster back from Dominic at http://tvandnav2go.com. I shipped it Saturday morning and he called me the moment he opened the package on Monday morning. He had it updated and in the mail within 30 minutes and would have been back by Wednesday if USPS hadn't taken an extra day (this is like Christmas as a child so it was very disappointing).

Dominic charges $175 (at the time of posting) and can update miles and drive/idle hours. Price includes return postage. Payment is by PayPal. I trusted him based on postings like this in ram forums so here's my recommendation.

I bought my cluster off of Ebay for $290 (I made an offer, he accepted). Sold by a junkyard in Kansas. It was also listed on http://car-part.com. I inquired by email on about 5 of them and never got a response. I believe this is mostly a telephone industry but I didn't try to call because plan A worked out. My cluster had 244,000 miles and was a 2013 going into a 2014. It was listed as a grade "C" probably because of the mileage and that may play into the sale price.

All of the features work and line up with my truck. I can see the cool sonar images with the reverse park sensors. I can see the TPMS readings. I can see information from the radio. Oddly the fuel filter and oil life values were carried over so they must be stored in the ECU. My truck is a 2014 Big Horn 2500 cummins and the donor was a 2013 Laramie 3500.

I would suggest rolling your odometer to an even 0/10ths of a mile. After the update the odometer rolls over at 4/10ths of a mile which is about where I parked it. I didn't think to ask Dominic about that but if you land at .0 it should line up.

Hope that helps!

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my cluster back from Dominic at http://tvandnav2go.com. I shipped it Saturday morning and he called me the moment he opened the package on Monday morning. He had it updated and in the mail within 30 minutes and would have been back by Wednesday if USPS hadn't taken an extra day (this is like Christmas as a child so it was very disappointing).

Dominic charges $175 (at the time of posting) and can update miles and drive/idle hours. Price includes return postage. Payment is by PayPal. I trusted him based on postings like this in ram forums so here's my recommendation.

I bought my cluster off of Ebay for $290 (I made an offer, he accepted). Sold by a junkyard in Kansas. It was also listed on http://car-part.com. I inquired by email on about 5 of them and never got a response. I believe this is mostly a telephone industry but I didn't try to call because plan A worked out. My cluster had 244,000 miles and was a 2013 going into a 2014. It was listed as a grade "C" probably because of the mileage and that may play into the sale price.

All of the features work and line up with my truck. I can see the cool sonar images with the reverse park sensors. I can see the TPMS readings. I can see information from the radio. Oddly the fuel filter and oil life values were carried over so they must be stored in the ECU. My truck is a 2014 Big Horn 2500 cummins and the donor was a 2013 Laramie 3500.

I would suggest rolling your odometer to an even 0/10ths of a mile. After the update the odometer rolls over at 4/10ths of a mile which is about where I parked it. I didn't think to ask Dominic about that but if you land at .0 it should line up.

Hope that helps!

Hey what was the sellers name on eBay

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye