USB port problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinnacleplumbing1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys ... I have a 2016 ram 1500 cc Laramie... I'm having an issue with the USB port in top part of the center console... so if I have the cable plugged into it and then plug my phone in it doesn't work... but if I unplug from the console and re-plug it in , it will work... then when it is working, if I shut the truck off or disconnect the phone, when I get back in it won't work until I disconnect it from the USB port and re-plug it in.... anyone else have this issue?....any thoughts?... thanks in advance!

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Yep I have that issue! Unplug-replug a few times until it works...
What I have found is if you start the truck with the cable UNPLUGGED, then plug it in, then plug phone in, it should connect right away.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
i have the same issue with my 17.. what idiot in quality control let this go by unnoticed.. it is super annoying

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
IIRC, RamCares chimed in that it's a known problem with Apple phones/charge cables.

ericwudi0830

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Yep I have that issue! Unplug-replug a few times until it works...
What I have found is if you start the truck with the cable UNPLUGGED, then plug it in, then plug phone in, it should connect right away.

wow so it can only handle one connection in sequential order

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I noticed this anomaly with my truck. I thought that I found documentation that there is a sequence of plugging cable to phone - cable to port. It is nowhere to be found now but I doubt it has anything to do with "quality control".

Last edited:

st8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Laramie Crew Cab
Try buying a higher quality / better charging cable. This fixed my issue.

Mud80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Same issue here in my 2014, with an Apple brand charging cable. Frustrating

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have the same problem but I have 2 usb sticks in there that I have for my music and from time to time the left side usb will spit out that there is no media found and I have to disconnect it and plug it back in to get it to read ... but I have noticed that this happens when I don't agree with the uconnect safety reminder and click ok before it goes away ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye