water on door sills after rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a brand new 2014 Ram 1500 Sport. We got a pretty good rain storm last night. When I opened the door this morning, my feet got water dump on them. It’s kind of hard to explain, but it’s like the rain got past both sets of door seals and the water was sitting on the inside door sill…almost like the door seals had it damned up waiting for me to open the door. When I looked closer, it appears to have some water right on my interior door plastic panel on the bottom were the 2nd interior door seal rests. Could the water be getting in from the door handle or window or is this ok (i.e. normal) for the 4th generation Rams? This is my 1st Ram. All of the doors seem to have this water, but the driver’s side front and back were the worst. I don’t see how this is happening. The seals look good to me. I need to point out that I do not have any water getting inside as far as I can tell…seats, carpet, etc are all dry. I can duplicate this by spraying a garden hose on the doors.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
i had a toyota tacoma that had the driver side floor flooded after a rain.....bring it to the dealer..they can test it and see.... my tacoma had a defect under the wiper cowl that caused it to leak....it was bad enough that they bought the truck back and gave me a different one.

NWRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've noticed this, too. Open the doors, and water drops from the top of the door all over the seat and door controls. Kind of annoying. Same for the back doors. It's been dry lately, so I kind of forgot about it.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've noticed this, too. Open the doors, and water drops from the top of the door all over the seat and door controls. Kind of annoying. Same for the back doors. It's been dry lately, so I kind of forgot about it.

It's not dripping from the top when I open the door...it just collected on the bottom of the door on top of the door sill. When I open the door the rain water dumps on my feet...about a quarter cup worth.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Mine does the same thing when it rains or if you wash it.. I thing it comes in from the top, runs down the side and stays in middle bottom part until you open the doors.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same thing when it rains or if you wash it.. I thing it comes in from the top, runs down the side and stays in middle bottom part until you open the doors.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking too.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my dealership basically did nothing when I asked them about the water build up on the door sill. My OCD was never gonna let that slide, so I took the door panels off today to look for myself. It makes sense when I looked at it. All autos will have some water get by the seal where the window slides down. I can see where Ram designs the inside of the door to handle this. You can see in the pic below the big weep holes on the bottom where this water is supposed to get out from the inside of the door. When working like that, all is good. What I discovered when pouring water on the outside of the door is that some of the water that gets past the window seal drips on the window track. That water follows the window track down where it finally leaks where your inside plastic door panels meets the door. I would have to believe that this is not by design on purpose, but more of a consequence of a poor design. Short of throwing silicone sealant there, there's not too much you can do about it. Living in the rust belt, my only concern is/was corrosion, but I’m sure I would have traded this Ram in long before there’s a major rust issue. I just thought I would sure my findings, since all of our trucks are the same design in this regard. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20140613_095036.jpg
    20140613_095036.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 98
  • door.jpg
    door.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 113

HRPdesigns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this exact same issue when opeing the rear left door after a good rain. Big drops of water fall from the top of the window sill straight onto the seat bolster. Its as if the weather stripping holds water between the sill and the edge of the truck sill until the door opens and then gravity takes over. It is quite annoying.