Water under the rear seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, first I went to the do it yourself car wash, with the power washer, then I went through the Touch less drive through carwash Its still dry, So I would say its fixed, but I will keep an eye on it for a few days just to be sure. I will post again if it gets wet.
:yawn:

Asur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
cool, good to hear, nothing worse than a humid interior

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Glad to hear it stayed dry. Amazing this is such a big issue with these trucks and they don't fix them before they pull off the lot.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well Guess What Ladies and Gentlemen, Its wet again. I Am convinced that the floor Pan Plugs need sealed. Now Most of you would do it yourself, and I am if the dealer fails to figure it out this time.

One would think that being as it was undercoated,that would keep water out and act as a sealent, btu I noticed the only thing they actually undercoated was the frame rails. (Another issue I am going to take up with them)

Ive concluded that the reason this is now an issue is that during the warmer weather I washed the truck by hand, now that its cold I have been using the carwash, and the undercarriage spray. thats when it seems to get wet. I have expressed this to the service Mgr Yet they wanted me to believe it was the third brakelight, (since that has been the problem with every other truck that has had water in the seat wells. OK we did it thier way. Ist Trip they resealed it, no Joy, 2nd Trip they replaced it. a few weeks have gone by (and a few carwashes, now its wet again.

I have an appt. this Friday. I told the Service Mgr, "Im not telling you your job, but maybe the problem is Underneath" He said he has a "guy" that he has to send it to for water leaks, apparently he is a water leak expert.

Anway, I said I would update this if the leak came back.. So Here I am,

Wonder what I could get on a trade........Low Mis.....:pp:

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well Guess What Ladies and Gentlemen, Its wet again. I Am convinced that the floor Pan Plugs need sealed. Now Most of you would do it yourself, and I am if the dealer fails to figure it out this time.

One would think that being as it was undercoated,that would keep water out and act as a sealent, but I noticed the only thing they actually undercoated was the frame rails. (Another issue I am going to take up with them)

Ive concluded that the reason this is now an issue is that during the warmer weather I washed the truck by hand, now that its cold I have been using the carwash, and the undercarriage spray. thats when it seems to get wet. I have expressed this to the service Mgr Yet they wanted me to believe it was the third brakelight, (since that has been the problem with every other truck that has had water in the seat wells). OK we did it thier way. 1st Trip they resealed it, no Joy, 2nd Trip they replaced it. a few weeks have gone by (and a few carwashes, now its wet again.

I have an appt. this Friday. I told the Service Mgr, "Im not telling you your job, but maybe the problem is Underneath" He said he has a "guy" that he has to send it to for water leaks, apparently he is a water leak expert.

Anway, I said I would update this if the leak came back.. So Here I am,

Wonder what I could get on a trade........Low Mis.....:pp:

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hope this guy can get it figured out. Keep us updated. Curious if its underneath or something else no one has seen yet.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will definatley post whatever the outcome.

:pp:

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
I have mine in for the same issue as we speak. They tried the third brake light and it still leaked water. The dealer sent my truck to a glass shop. They removed the rear glass and found that a drain in the window channel was clogged and allowed water to overflow into the cab. Long story short a new rear glass assembly is on its way. I should add that I have the power rear slider.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im standing firm on the floor pan plugs, There is no dampness (if that's a word) anywhere but the fwd lower part of the storage compartment under the rear seat. My fear is that by the time its fixed, Im going to have that musty, mildew smell in my new truck.
:emotions122:

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Tell them you want the floors properly cleaned and dried.

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Im standing firm on the floor pan plugs, There is no dampness (if that's a word) anywhere but the fwd lower part of the storage compartment under the rear seat. My fear is that by the time its fixed, Im going to have that musty, mildew smell in my new truck.
:emotions122:

Its your truck. Think what you want. I had 4 inches of water in the passenger side under seat compartment. I am only giving you more options to have checked out.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the 3rd brake light seal leak in my 96 crew cab didn't get anything wet except the passenger floor pan.

my 2010 leak got the headliner however...dealer replaced the entire light assembly.

One would sure think they could have cured this issue by now! How many trucks are rolling around doing this, over how many generations?

My '07 did this the first time it rained. But only when faced "up" the driveway.

The new '13 popped it's rear "third" brake light while I was sitting in the automated spray car wash. Though it was super-aggressive, and I thought it was strong enough to take the paint off. No water got in beyond the plastic light housing as far as I can tell, but it apparently hit the hot bulb while I sat there in the bay with my foot on the brake.

Replaced the bulb, now I guess I should go check the underseat storage after the next rain or wash I run it through.

To the O/P, I know you are pissed, but it's GOTTA be running down the interior wall of the cab and pooling under there. Its not coming up from outside the undercarriage. Gravity works. And, like field mice, it just takes the smallest little hole and away it goes.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 3rd brake leak is far from being a Ram only problem. I had it on my Chevy and my ford. So did numerous people on both of those related forums. So far so good on my Ram though.

You would think that with such an industry wide problem, they would come up with a different design.

Ray

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One would sure think they could have cured this issue by now! How many trucks are rolling around doing this, over how many generations?

My '07 did this the first time it rained. But only when faced "up" the driveway.

The new '13 popped it's rear "third" brake light while I was sitting in the automated spray car wash. Though it was super-aggressive, and I thought it was strong enough to take the paint off. No water got in beyond the plastic light housing as far as I can tell, but it apparently hit the hot bulb while I sat there in the bay with my foot on the brake.

Replaced the bulb, now I guess I should go check the underseat storage after the next rain or wash I run it through.

To the O/P, I know you are pissed, but it's GOTTA be running down the interior wall of the cab and pooling under there. Its not coming up from outside the undercarriage. Gravity works. And, like field mice, it just takes the smallest little hole and away it goes.

I understand the theory, but its not pooling, its just wet, like the water leaks through and drain back out, The have already replaced the third brake light, it seemed fine for a couple weeks, then I noticed it was wet again. the only thing different now than when I bought the truck in March, is I have been using automated touchless carwashes since it got to cold to wash by hand. One would think that all those warm summer day washes when I washed by hand and sprayed the top of the truck with the hose that the third brake light leak would have manifested itself before now. and the fact that there is a plug under each side directly below where the wet spots are would be a clue.

I dropped it off at the dealer tonight the service mgr says " I told the technician that you said the only time you noticed the leak was right after a carwash, he said Hmm, I love a challenge" I think when I get it back I'll just seal the floor pan plugs myself, Its one thing to hold the dealer accountable, but now I'm taking time off work to get this taken care of because their "policy" is they don't offer loaners. (Another issue that I'm going to take up with mgmt. this is a warranty issue) Anyway I'm done ramblin' Ill post THIER findings tomorrow after I pick it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, here is what the dealer says. There is evidence of something being transported through the sliding glass window. (they obviously seen an indentation of a 1 x 4 on the headrest of the center rear seat of something that was resting there, yes, I did have a 1x6 that was transported that way it was 8' long, my bed is 5 '6". they are saying that damaged (and are saying its obvious) the rear window seal and that's where the water is getting in. Well I inspected the rear window seal with the service advisor, I did not see the damage he claims is there. He said its obvious when its dry. I call BS.. I brought it home, dryed it off and cannot see any damage to the window seal ( By the way they wanted to charge me 850.00 to replace the rear window. will post a picture of what they say the damage is. its dark now, but I will post a photo within a day or 2.
:banghead:

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, here is what the dealer says. There is evidence of something being transported through the sliding glass window. (they obviously seen an indentation of a 1 x 4 on the headrest of the center rear seat of something that was resting there, yes, I did have a 1x6 that was transported that way it was 8' long, my bed is 5 '6". they are saying that damaged (and are saying its obvious) the rear window seal and that's where the water is getting in. Well I inspected the rear window seal with the service advisor, I did not see the damage he claims is there. He said its obvious when its dry. I call BS.. I brought it home, dryed it off and cannot see any damage to the window seal ( By the way they wanted to charge me 850.00 to replace the rear window. will post a picture of what they say the damage is. its dark now, but I will post a photo within a day or 2.
:banghead:

Its the third brake light thats leaking. Common issue. They are trying to rip u off. Go to another dealership.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They already replaced the third brake light. The first trip they said they "re-sealed" it, the second trip in they replaced it. Now they are saying its not covered because the seal was damaged If the damage was so obvious, why did they not see it the first time? Im going to figure this out,