Water under the rear seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wait, so they're saying from the looks of the headrest, there was damage to the window seals? I'm missing the connection or something. I'm assuming you have a piece of wood through the back window? How would a bad seal require a whole new back window anyways? I'm confused now.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regardless of the cause, is it possible that the rear window seal is the source of the leak? Should be easy enough to remove the rear window and reseal it. Does it have some kind of frame that is damaged?

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
The rear windows are not serviceable. I just had mine replaced under warranty. According to the dealer, who sent my truck to a glass shop, there are drains in the channel where the middle section slides to allow water to drain out. In my case the drains were clogged, and the whole window assembly had to be replaced.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea one would think it could be removed and a new seal installed, but "the expert" said he has never been able to get one out without destroying it. The only thing he could salvage was the window motor. I will research this leak, and also if in fact it does have to be replaced, a reputable glass business to get another quote.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait, so they're saying from the looks of the headrest, there was damage to the window seals? I'm missing the connection or something. I'm assuming you have a piece of wood through the back window? How would a bad seal require a whole new back window anyways? I'm confused now.

They said there was evidence of something resting on top of the rear headrest, which They believe to be a board of some type. that Board damaged the seal (I swear I cannot see any damage) Long story short, They cant fix it under warranty.

And apparently they cannot replace the seal with destroying the back window.

Trust me I know how the whole thing sounds. Im still investigating.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to upload a picture of the seal they sy is damaged, But Im technologically challenged, It wants the URL of the image, The image is on my desktop.

OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You know what grinds my gears? I didn't even think about this yesterday when I was listening to the Service advisor try to explain / show me the supposed damage on the seal. But if something was sitting on the center rear headrest, it wouldn't even touch the window seal, because the headrest is 2-3" higher than the window seal. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Im going back down there Monday and see if they can explain that factoid.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
photo1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
photo2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, so after the pics, I went and bought some silicone sealant and sealed the floor pans. I checked after a week, all good. its been 3 weeks, I went out and checked, theres a puddle in the drivers side rear storage comp. AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:banghead::banghead:

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm still saying third brake light seal.

try the silicone there in case the dealer damaged the gasket. then if that fixes your issue take it back for a proper repair.

one of my third brake light issues was a small crack in the housing.

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Been a couple weeks and a good bit of rain since my rear window assembly was replaced. So far still dry!

RamVillian14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
I put in an after market third brake light, and I was having issues with water inside the cab. I also had a puddle of water on the driver's side rear storage compartment, this was solely from condensation. Just thought I would point out my water was not from rain or anything down low leaking but from moisture in the air, which was coming from the faulty seal on the third brake light. Anyway, sealed up the third brake light and problem solved!

Morbid611

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a brand new 2014 ram Hemi express. Didn't even have the truck 2 weeks yet. We just had a big rain storm and I had a puddle of water under the back seat (quad cab ) in the driver side tool compartment. I don't have a slider window. Just a solid piece of glass. I have not yet called my dealer. Just was wondering what the final outcome was. So far from reading all the posts it sounds like the third brake light. If that is at least 99% what it is I'd like to fix it myself. I have a full warranty but I don't wanna have the dealer send my truck through car washes just to see whats going on.

Thanks for any information. I appreciate it.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
It's the 3rd brake light. Take it off and put some silicon around. Problem solved. Had this happen on my 2009

Last edited:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is crazy with the leaky 3rd brake light seals! When I had my 2013 F150, there was threads all over the place about those 3rd brake lights leaking too!

moparrtguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Why don't the engineers just put them on the inside of the back glass like most new cars come now? That would solve the leak problem and I would even give up my cargo light for peace of mind.