This is why I hate letting anyone touch my truck!! (Pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, here are some pics I just took 5 minutes ago. As you can see, the cuts have settled down a lot. I'm REALLY REALLY struggling with rather I want to risk this dealership damaging more when replacing the whole dash skin. I'm going to my local upholstery shop tomorrow to show them and get their 100% opinion on the success of a repair by them. The only downside is if I have them repair it, then I can no longer get the dash skin replaced under warranty for this claim. I cannot go into details right now why, but I'll explain later.

On the upside, when sitting in the seat, the steering wheel blocks the cuts from my view.

Attachments

• 20170112_163729.jpg
    20170112_163729.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20170112_163807.jpg
    20170112_163807.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20170112_163827.jpg
    20170112_163827.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 95

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, here are some pics I just took 5 minutes ago. As you can see, the cuts have settled down a lot. I'm REALLY REALLY struggling with rather I want to risk this dealership damaging more when replacing the whole dash skin. I'm going to my local upholstery shop tomorrow to show them and get their 100% opinion on the success of a repair by them. The only downside is if I have them repair it, then I can no longer get the dash skin replaced under warranty for this claim. I cannot go into details right now why, but I'll explain later.

On the upside, when sitting in the seat, the steering wheel blocks the cuts from my view.

They have to be held accountable for what they mess up. There's no "well we tried so you have to live with it"

Speaking for myself - I'm not okay with someone damaging my property and I certainly wouldn't try and convince myself I'm okay with it.

Last edited:

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have it fixed it's a new truck. They screwed it up they should fix it. Once you have somebody else mess with it it's on you then. Just have them fix it if they screw something else up why they're fixing it they will have to fix that too.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think we all feel where you stand right and just want to put this behind you and move on with life. Me, personally, pure principle at this point. Id get everything I possibly could just for the hassle but respectfully. Id also set grounds on fix, FCA tech only does the repair and is closely monitored the whole time. Set grounds you're ok with.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm probably one of the most OCD people you will ever meet when it comes to this kind of thing. However, based on the last set of photos you posted, I would not pursue a dash replacement. While I still think they can do it successfully, I don't think it's worth the risk any longer.

However, I am not saying to let them off the hook. Unless this screw up costs someone money, nobody is going to learn a thing. I would push for alternate compensation. A MaxCare warranty, maybe?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know man that would bother me to no end. It's perfectly in your direct line of site when you drive it. It will be there staring you in the face every time you look down at the guages...

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^this. Lol. OCD sucks sometimes [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I think we all feel where you stand right and just want to put this behind you and move on with life. Me, personally, pure principle at this point. Id get everything I possibly could just for the hassle but respectfully. Id also set grounds on fix, FCA tech only does the repair and is closely monitored the whole time. Set grounds you're ok with.

Monitored by whom? Sure is not going to be the customer. I get the OP has a trust issue but any tech that is assigned to fix this is not going to be watched the whole time like a zoo animal.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Monitored by whom? Sure is not going to be the customer. I get the OP has a trust issue but any tech that is assigned to fix this is not going to be watched the whole time like a zoo animal.

Actually, Ram said that the service manager, at a minimum, would be required to supervise the whole replacement. There are alot of eyes watching this right now.

There's no way the tech would want me anywhere near him when doing the replacement. I would be the Army aircraft TI all over again.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know man that would bother me to no end. It's perfectly in your direct line of site when you drive it. It will be there staring you in the face every time you look down at the guages...

That's the only "good" thing about this....the steering wheel blocks my view of the damage. I cannot see it.

hemipower95 2.0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, but I personally wouldn't give info to a person asking for a vin# and so on; but it seems she is at least legit

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

He mentioned this previously in the thread that the repair would be supervised by FCA tech and or service manager. And if they are going to put out work that looks like a zoo animal performed it they should be treated as such.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You had a rookie tech mess up the dash. I have seen guys on the forum successfully remove the dash and re-install it. A seasoned guy that is being supervised... it will be like brand new. IMO it is foolish NOT to have it replaced.

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got off from the phone with Andrea (Ramcares) and the part has been invoiced and it is being expedited to the dealership. I'm not so worried about possible future damage being corrected, but more so of the aggravation of needing to deal with it. Like most of you, I need to work full time to pay for the Rebel and getting the time to take care of this is troublesome. Luckily, Ram is providing me a rental car, which helps with that greatly. So, I'm going to take the risk and let them try to right the wrong by replacing the top part of the dash. Please think good thoughts for me as (at this point in my life) I'm no longer a risk taker....this is very hard for me to let them touch my truck again! Hopefully, this doesn't turn into a VERY long thread....hopefully, it just ends soon and we all forget about it. lol

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hmmm, I wonder what they're going to do with the old dash. I might have to go dumpster diving.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm, I wonder what they're going to do with the old dash. I might have to go dumpster diving.

Damn you beat me to it. To the OP if they let you keep it I'll take it off your hands if 00R/T doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk