Wierd scratchy noise from drivers side vent on cold startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue70SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem I have started the moment I pulled out of Boulder’s dealership after a transmission leak fix and is a scratchy noise that changes with RPM the is best heard from the drivers side echoing out of the side heater/ac vent. The transmission oil pan had just been replaced for a leaky seal & grommet that leaked trans fluid all over the bottom side of the truck/gas tank clear back to the rear bumper. Unknown volume of fluid has leaked out. Passenger rear axle was also replaced under warranty at the same time I found out.

The noise only occurs on startup after the truck has been cold and last for about 7 minutes (which concurs with the repair, since it didn't have any miles past the "check in" mileage at the dealership). The noise 1st started happening at about 2000 RPM and only under load driving it (won't occur just revving the engine in park or neutral). Since then, 2 months later and coming up on a month the Longmont dealership has had it, the noise happens all the way up to redline RPM now, including a little on the RPM delceleration after a shift or redine.

A few facts about the scratching/metallic noise (hopefully someone might recognize the problem):
1) 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, 5.7 liter, 8 speed 8HP70 transmission
2) Began immediately after having the plastic transmission oil pan replaced under warranty at ~4000 miles
3) Only happens on a cold overnight startup for about the 1st 7 minutes of actual driving when under load accellerating and gradually lessens as the transmission temp approached 150 degrees. Doesn't matter if in 2WD or 4WD.
4) Started happening at around 2000 RPM for about a 200-300 RPM window and is not gear specific, happens in reverse also, but MUST be under load (not in Park or Neutral)
5) Now at over 6000 miles the RPM range of the noise happens closer to 2500 RPM and can continue all the way to RPM Redline.... but the noise can be avoided by driving with less load (accelerate slower up to redline)
6) All components driven by the serpentine belt have been ruled out by driving a short distance with the serpentine belt remove and noise still occurred.
7) Truck was recently anchored to a 3' wide tree stump and the noise occurred at about 2500 RPM (until the ECU started rev limiting it to lower than 2000 RPM). So this test ruled out any noise from differentials/CV shafts/drive shaft/brakes/wind/etc.)
8) Letting the truck warm up 15 minutes in the driveway before driving, still gets about 7 minutes of actual driving noise that can be generated. Again, seems more dependant on transmission temp than coolant and oil temps.
9) Entire instrument cluster was removed by dealership to test the possibility of "stepper motors" in the instrument cluster making the noise. The noise actually got worse.... probably due to the cluster muffling the noise.
10) Truck was warmed up for 45 minutes before driving with trans temp up to 163 degrees, 199 coolant, 192 oil and noise could not be replicated (only 1st drive of the day situation in which the noise didn't occur)
11) Truck has been used 3 times to haul a 4100 lb car on an open U-haul car hauler, for an 80 mile round trip with no problems till the tranny leak was noticed during an oil change. (so a mere 240 miles total of trailering for a truck with 3.92 rear gears and rated at 10,000 max towing per the VIN# lookup on Ram’s website)

Besides suspecting the transmission still, the only other possibilities I can think of is:

A) Possibility the brake booster or brake booster check valve could be making the noise? (might try to clamp off the vacuum line and see what happens)

B) Servo motors inside the dash ventilation system freaking out till warmed up? (but doesn't seem as likely since only happens in 1st 7 minutes or so of actual driving and 15 minute warmup didn't change the outcome)

I've been dealing with this since before Thanksgiving and just started having a more reputable dealership in Longmont, CO start looking at it in early January when the roads were clear (so not to possibly mask the noise). Coming up on a month with no truck, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks! :favorites13:

ohengineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, Dropbox's video player is effing terrible.

I actually have a very similar noise (if not the same) coming from the driver's side vent area on my '15 that I have admittedly not spent any time chasing. Haven't brought it in, either. It almost sounds like (but it's not) a small air leak or flutter.

I've never tried to see if it duplicates in Neutral or Park, but I know it's only related to throttle application and cold operation.

I'm an Engineer in an automotive-related industry, was an ASE Master Tech for a number of years -- I really have no excuse for not having chased this at all yet :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blue70SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, Dropbox's video player is effing terrible.

I actually have a very similar noise (if not the same) coming from the driver's side vent area on my '15 that I have admittedly not spent any time chasing. Haven't brought it in, either. It almost sounds like (but it's not) a small air leak or flutter.

I've never tried to see if it duplicates in Neutral or Park, but I know it's only related to throttle application and cold operation.

I'm an Engineer in an automotive-related industry, was an ASE Master Tech for a number of years -- I really have no excuse for not having chased this at all yet :p

Mine wouldn't replicate in neutral or park. Only cold from being parked overnight and in the 1st 6-7 minutes of operation under load. The technician originally thought it was an air leak too, for what it's worth.

For some reason the sound resonates only out of the drivers side vent and not even the center vents (probably has to do with the tubing being close to the firewall).

The Dodge dealer used "Chassis Ears" and was able to verify the noise was coming from the transmission. They finally dropped the transmission pan and found metal in the fluid yesterday. Keep in mind, the pan was replaced along with about 1/2 of the fluid in November 2015.... so around 50% dilution with new fluid.

New transmission is arriving today.

All I can figure is something happened when the previous dealer replaced the trans fluid pan after it had leaked all over clear back to the bumper. The noise started before I even pulled out of their lot. It's possible that it was just a coincidence since the weather had drastically changed (colder/snow), but suspicious. With the visible amount of fluid that had leaked out, you would think a sensor would report low fluid and/or the noise would have been noticed sooner.

I actually looked into paying the difference to have the 8HP70 trans replaced with the 8HP90 ... but the price difference is crazy. $3767 vs $8017 Not sure they're swappable, but $ killed the idea.

ohengineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine wouldn't replicate in neutral or park. Only cold from being parked overnight and in the 1st 6-7 minutes of operation under load. The technician originally thought it was an air leak too, for what it's worth.

For some reason the sound resonates only out of the drivers side vent and not even the center vents (probably has to do with the tubing being close to the firewall).

The Dodge dealer used "Chassis Ears" and was able to verify the noise was coming from the transmission. They finally dropped the transmission pan and found metal in the fluid yesterday. Keep in mind, the pan was replaced along with about 1/2 of the fluid in November 2015.... so around 50% dilution with new fluid.

New transmission is arriving today.

All I can figure is something happened when the previous dealer replaced the trans fluid pan after it had leaked all over clear back to the bumper. The noise started before I even pulled out of their lot. It's possible that it was just a coincidence since the weather had drastically changed (colder/snow), but suspicious. With the visible amount of fluid that had leaked out, you would think a sensor would report low fluid and/or the noise would have been noticed sooner.

I actually looked into paying the difference to have the 8HP70 trans replaced with the 8HP90 ... but the price difference is crazy. $3767 vs $8017 Not sure they're swappable, but $ killed the idea.
Wow, not quite was I was expecting. I need to bring it in for a couple of little things, anyway, I guess I'll bring it up!

Thanks!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Wow, not quite was I was expecting. I need to bring it in for a couple of little things, anyway, I guess I'll bring it up!

Thanks!

I'm very sorry to hear about this! Keep us posted on what the dealership says and please let me know if there's anything I can do to be of assistance!

OP
OP
B

Blue70SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So.... the "chassis ears" did locate the problem and the noise was coming from the transmission. Dodge ended up replacing the transmission with a new one. Lots of metal in the fluid. Had it tested by BlackStone labs and iron content was something like what would have been expected at about 60k miles...... yet had about 2k miles on the fluid and new filter.

Now I'm dealing with one of my work trucks that has an 8 speed exhibiting the same issues. It's in a 2014 Ram 1500 V6, so has the lower torque rated 45 (331 ft lbs), but same manufacturer and design. They replaced a serpentine idler pulley as a 1st step..... but no difference like before (however this did fix a noise on one of our other Ram 1500's, and one had a bad tentioner too). Next step is checking with chassis ears, as that's the only way to surely point at the transmission to really start the process to drop the tranny pan and look for excessive metal in the fluid.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Subscribed..

I noticed a clicking noise at startup the other day, crawled under the truck and isolated the general area, but I haven't thought about it or listened for it since.. Honestly it sounded like it was coming from the engine (bottom)...

I'm not 100% sure what the "Hemi tick" sounds like so it crossed my mind that it could just be that, and normal.

IMO

ToolMann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have the name of your service rep or tech? Also, do you have the work order paperwork. I have the exact same noise and problem. I've been going rounds with a dealer in Aurora for a couple months now. They said I had no metal in the pan which took them 2 months ago multiple visits to finally drop and look at the fluid. I'm loosing my mind.

OP
OP
B

Blue70SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just saw this.. did you ever get it resolved? I just had my transmission fluid changed at 55000 miles by the Longmont dealership, then a week later I heard the noise again. I had the fluid level rechecked in was only one eighth of a quart low. Blackstone labs test brand new fill for Life fluid, the fluid at 5000 Miles when the transmission was going bad, and now the fluid at 55000 Miles was also tested which is 50,000 miles on the brand new transmission. Barring any problems the plan is to change it again a 95,000 miles 5000 miles before the warranty runs out

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk