Windshield fogging up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I only ask this question because my 05 1500 Ram didnt do this. When I get in my truck in the AM, (this time of year between 30 and 40 degrees outside) I usually have to run the defroster. When I get in the truck, the windshield fogs up pretty quickly. Ive tried every setting on the hvac controls and the only thing that seems to work is turning on the ac, or starting the truck a few minutes before I leave the driveway and letting the interior warm up a bit. Any idea what Im doing wrong folks?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pretty sure it's the temp difference between outside air and the air inside your truck. I'm guessing most people are dealing with this during the fall and spring when temps change. Just use your defrost on warm air until it clears up.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Every vehicle with working a/c I've owned did/does this. On defrost the a/c runs to pull moisture from the air. Typically it's not enough to run out the drain tube but the little that does come out sits in there and is enough to fog over windows in the a.m. when the outside air is cooler than inside the truck :favorites13:

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get some of those silicone desiccant packs and put a few under each seat and a couple on the dash - they will absorb the moisture in the truck and reduce the fogging.

shmedley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always put a sock filled with kitty litter under the seats.
I just grab some from a friend with cats

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
My 15 did it too. Cleared up best using fresh air instead of recirc. Seemed counter intuitive to me. It's the only vehicle I've ever owned that repeatedly fogged up on a single trip.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think I'm gonna find some fog x and call it a day

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All my vehicles have always done this. Best advice I have heard is to "crack" a window overnight (if you can), and let the inside and outside normalize as the temp plummets. Or run the AC/defroster for a couple min before you roll.

I generally only get exterior "fog", so I can use the wipers to cheat a bit, but the inside, defroster. Defrost mode "should" turn the AC condensor on, to help dehumidify the air.

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Get some of those silicone desiccant packs and put a few under each seat and a couple on the dash - they will absorb the moisture in the truck and reduce the fogging.
I second this. I also sometimes shove a bandana or two down under the windshield to help dry it up.