0441 EVAP - Check Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

serialize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
So I searched this code on this forum and not finding it.
Have listed below the ODBII descriptions from Google.
Curious if anyone has recommendation on how to trace this issue?
The code lists 8 components for failure/malfunction and seems to be pretty vague. I got the check engine light around 45,000 kilometers a year ago. It went away on its own once or twice. This year at 61,000 kilometers got it again and won't go away. My friend with ODBII reset it, but it's back again. Truck seems to run fine other then eco mode won't show up on the dash.
Looking for some help from any folks that have experience with this.
Thank you.

P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
"Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow"

Description:
This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is a generic powertrain code, which means that it applies to OBD-II equipped vehicles. Although generic, the specific repair steps may vary depending on make/model.

This indicates that a part of the EVAP control system is no longer functioning correctly. The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine.

EVAP emission canister purge is controlled by a valve which allows engine vacuum to pull stored fuel vapors from fuel tank into the engine to be burned, rather than be vented to atmosphere. A vacuum switch is used to detect when flow exists. If the PCM commands purge and sees that the switch is closed (indicating no detected purge flow) P0441 is set.

Symptoms:
Likely, no symptoms will be discernible to the driver, other than the illuminated Check Engine Light.

Causes:
A code P0441 could mean one or more of the following has happened:
•Bad vacuum switch
•Broken or damaged EVAP line or canister
•Open in PCM purge command circuit
•Open or short in Voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
•Faulty purge solenoid
•Restriction in EVAP solenoid, line or canister
•Corrosion or resistance in purge connector
•Bad PCM

Itsme71190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem right now. My eco works but my remote start doesnt. Mine is at the dealer now for the second time. Ill let you know what they say this time

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had this a couple months ago. Start with a new Mopar gas cap. Even though its not listed as a common cause, I put the new gas cap on and haven't had the code come back since.

Itsme71190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what was replaced. Light is off as of right now.

Attachments

• 20170428_183159.jpg
    20170428_183159.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
S

serialize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Thanks for the replies guys.
I put a new locking Mopar gas cap about a week ago and the light didn't go away. Also my buddy reset the code with the ODBII about 3 weeks ago and it came back about a week later (from what I've read it takes a short while for it to detect the vapor leak condition again).

I have switched to Shell 91 (low ethanol) and will run this for a couple weeks and reset the code maybe the better fuel will keep the light away).
Additionally will check the lines and replace if necessary.
If that doesn't do it then will be going to the dealer.

I'm at 63,000 kilometers and the Canadian bumper-to-bumper warranty only goes to 60,000 or 3 years. Does anyone know if the powertrain warranty that goes to 100,000 kilometers covers this?

Thanks again

Itsme71190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies guys.
I put a new locking Mopar gas cap about a week ago and the light didn't go away. Also my buddy reset the code with the ODBII about 3 weeks ago and it came back about a week later (from what I've read it takes a short while for it to detect the vapor leak condition again).

I have switched to Shell 91 (low ethanol) and will run this for a couple weeks and reset the code maybe the better fuel will keep the light away).
Additionally will check the lines and replace if necessary.
If that doesn't do it then will be going to the dealer.

I'm at 63,000 kilometers and the Canadian bumper-to-bumper warranty only goes to 60,000 or 3 years. Does anyone know if the powertrain warranty that goes to 100,000 kilometers covers this?

Thanks again

Mines Canadian also. I was told i only have 36k miles 3year

OP
OP
S

serialize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Well, turns out it is actually the bad purge solenoid (not just cap or line leak). Dealer made a great call for me on this one and said if I pay the $175 diagnosis fee they will cover the parts, labour, and software update under warranty for me (even though I'm just outside the warranty kilometers range). Thumbs up for Oakville Chrysler!!!!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Evap codes can be a nightmare to track down, glad it was a relatively simple fix and your dealer took care of you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye