'14 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 6 speed.. slipping or VVT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wicked96SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello! This truck is new to me. As I mentioned in the title it's a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi VVT MDS and 6 speed transmission. It has 20K miles on it. I've owned the truck for about a month now.

It's most noticeable in first gear, or downshifting into first. It seems to "slip" or surge a bit. I've never owned a vehicle with VVT but have had 2 with MDS from Dodge on a HEMI, so I know what that feels / sounds like. This is different.

I don't know if it's REALLY slipping or not, as the RPM doesn't jump around, and there is no code thrown. Also the fluid looks new, and smells good.

If it's normal, then it's normal and I'll stop worrying! If it's not, then I need to get it in while still under warranty! Sure I'll take a new trans!! :)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine doesn't do anything funky. And I'm not saying yours doesn't. Doesn't make sence to me. Mine has a Tuner on it tho.

OP
OP
Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the response! I've looked at the OBDII parameters and everything looks fine. Doesn't sense any slipping, no knock retard... everything is within expected parameters.

The truck also seems to want to hunt for what gear it wants to be in, but I've had this 6 speed and a Hemi (2012 Dodge Durango R/T) and it did the same thing. So, I'm not super worried about that, but thought I'd throw it out there in case it might trigger someone!

Nothing is drastic... it's pretty subtle. I always worry when I get a new (to me) truck! :)

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello! This truck is new to me. As I mentioned in the title it's a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi VVT MDS and 6 speed transmission. It has 20K miles on it. I've owned the truck for about a month now.

It's most noticeable in first gear, or downshifting into first. It seems to "slip" or surge a bit. I've never owned a vehicle with VVT but have had 2 with MDS from Dodge on a HEMI, so I know what that feels / sounds like. This is different.

I don't know if it's REALLY slipping or not, as the RPM doesn't jump around, and there is no code thrown. Also the fluid looks new, and smells good.

If it's normal, then it's normal and I'll stop worrying! If it's not, then I need to get it in while still under warranty! Sure I'll take a new trans!! :)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Is it tuned?

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a few problems with mine, started out like that with a little slippage, then a good buck here and there. Shortly thereafter bye bye tranny. Had 30k on it. Dealer took it twice and couldn't figure it out until it finally got stuck in fourth gear. Reverse or fourth. Made the tech ride with me and then they gave me a new tranny. That said it was a bad seal. No pennies to me though. I've also learned to not do WOT downshifts to fourth or second prime. So I downshift first manually and then hammer down!!!!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The VVT only makes a difference in the top end so it won't be VVT related but it could be a torque converter issue. If you're not seeing any drop in rpm then it's probably not on the engine side, it's from the flexplate back.