180 degree thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
while towing my oil temps get real high (around 250-260) would the 180 thermostat help with these high temps? Seems it would. Who's running one and are there any downsides to running it?
I could have put this in the towing section but seemed more appropriate here.
Thanks

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I think audio1der runs one. you just need to put the proper coolant back in to replace what spills out when you replace it. also may need to adjust your fan settings

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Might help alittle, biggest thing to cool oil is the oil cooler.

The 180 Tstat is really only good if you do it with a tuner and set the fan temps for the colder Tstat. Just doing the Tstat will allow the coolant to circulate sooner but the fans will still come on at the 200-210*F temp they are set at. You might run alittle cooler esp on the highway when you have enough air and the fans are useless but around town you won't see a difference without the tuner to set the fan temps.

You should look at the cost of the coolant that the 14 needs lol… its like $50+ a gallon.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I don't have a tuner so it sounds like it won't be much help.

It will still help, but idling your temps will go almost stock like.
I ran one for a while with no tuner. It kept it around 185 cruising.

but damn 250/260 oil is ***** high. At least to me.
And yes I know it's hot, I live in Louisiana. lol

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I agree with BlownGP. My temps like to stay around 185 coolant and 190 oil now and I have yet to change the fan settings with my tuner because I'm lazy. I put one in because my temps would also get that high and I'm going to see if the thermostat helps.

If not, it's staying because it helps keep the temps lower everywhere else and I will add a universal oil cooler to the truck and see what happens then.

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I love my 180. Temp stays at 185 wile cursing and oil around 201 at normal operating temps. At WOT smoking along at 100+ temps get to 190 and oil 210 max. Your temps seem high to me but I don't tow anything. I just haul ass:naughty:

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Seems high, I would even speculate a bad Tstat, I had that happen to me once 4 cars back. Sorry to ask the obvious but you check your coolant level after the switch, may need a top off.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
dont feel like making a new thread but ever since i put my 180 tstat in ive been popping a p0125 code every once in awhile.

temps never go over 190 at idle and stay 185-186 at highway speeds. I haven't seen any coolant leaking either.

any ideas?

Seraphim38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 gas
or, you could add the Derale oil cooler kit. It adds a sandwich plate that goes between the oil filter and the block. It can lower your oil temps by around 20 degrees. Cost is under $200 for the parts, and worth it if you are running oil temps of 250+

As an aside, for me I don't trust push lock oil lines. I had an oil cooler like this on another car and one of the high quality Aeroquip lines burst on the freeway and spit out all my engine oil. There is a company called PIRTEK, and they will make custom high pressure hydraulic lines (1000psi plus capable) for you. They cost me between 30 and 50 USD a piece and I redid my whole engine bay with them (on my race car...I haven't touched the truck bay yet). Bullet proof stuff.

Also, you can get a larger oil pan from Moroso or one of their competitors. That can expand your oil capacity to 6 quarts, and the oil cooler setup will use about a half a quart, so in the end you can get to 6.5 quarts + of oil capacity. After I did all that on my race car, it never got over 190 degrees even if you were to sit on the rev limiter for a prolonged period of time (and no, don't do that unless you have full race heads and valvetrain that are made for it, like mine was).

OP
OP
Jerry1984

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is fully under warranty and I don't want to be doing any mods that will void warranty. I'll have to check my window sticker but think I have the stock oil cooler. I have tow package, air ride, tow mirrors, integrated trailer brakes and 3.92 gears. Tried getting the most equipped package for towing but will have to double check on oil cooler.

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well at the very least I would increase my oil change frequency

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
if you have the Express you should have the extra engine and tranny coolers.

LilRamie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
dont feel like making a new thread but ever since i put my 180 tstat in ive been popping a p0125 code every once in awhile.

temps never go over 190 at idle and stay 185-186 at highway speeds. I haven't seen any coolant leaking either.

any ideas?
That code is for not having hot enough coolant after a certain amount of time after start. Check your temp when you get the code. Also could it be on really cold times and engine is just taking longer to warm up or does it happen other times?

OP
OP
Jerry1984

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be towing the camper about 1000 miles over the next week and a half (this coming Saturday to the next one) so I'll check the temps on this tow. Should be more manageable as it will be more of a flat tow than my normal mountain towing and I also won't be pulling the atv trailer (~1500 extra pounds) behind the camper(4500 pounds). Heading to lagoon near salt lake and then to Yellowstone.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think audio1der runs one. you just need to put the proper coolant back in to replace what spills out when you replace it. also may need to adjust your fan settings

I am genuinely happy with this mod. I was hesitant because I had heard it would cause a slight drop in MPG.
I swapped it out, topped off the coolant with factory Mopar stuff (which you can only buy by the gallon, of course) and voila! Instant lower temps. No drop in MPG at all. Our temps while towing a within a COUPLE degrees of driving empty on the highway. I'm hugely impressed. No downside at all.

**If anyone is doing this mod from Calgary, you're welcome to my jug of OEM coolant for free.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
I am genuinely happy with this mod. I was hesitant because I had heard it would cause a slight drop in MPG.
I swapped it out, topped off the coolant with factory Mopar stuff (which you can only buy by the gallon, of course) and voila! Instant lower temps. No drop in MPG at all. Our temps while towing a within a COUPLE degrees of driving empty on the highway. I'm hugely impressed. No downside at all.

**If anyone is doing this mod from Calgary, you're welcome to my jug of OEM coolant for free.

I'm curious, did you adjust the fan for the cooler temps and if so, what temp did you set it to?

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
Meridian ID, that's cool first person I have run into with a Ram on a sight, I live in Boise. You can put a 180 stat in as long as you have a tuner so you can turn on your electric fan sooner.
I am doing that even though I don't pull anything because it's so hot here and it's a climb to get out of this valley almost any direction you go.