180 tstat install and found this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pkrexer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LqEFtjT.jpg

IwZ9cUm.jpg

Wth is that? I cleaned as much of it off as I could... But I'm afraid this crap is floating around in my coolant.

I would have done a flush, but didn't have enough coolant as I was just planning the tstat change.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Coolants don't have detergents, it is likely something like silicone or something. Additives dropping out of suspension whatever it is. Run 16 ounces of RMI25, it will remove them and deposit it in the overflow tank, the tank traps that stuff. Then drain off the over flow tank. If you have the black tank you will need a flashlight to see the slime, and if you don't want to remove the tank just use a wet dry vac.

How many miles on the coolant, I assume it's HOAT? Ever changed it? Ever add water?

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Almost looks like someone used " stop leak".

OP
OP
P

pkrexer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 ram, only 41k miles. I believe it's the oat coolant, as it was purple.

This is the first time I touched the coolant, so rather baffled.

Coolants don't have detergents, it is likely something like silicone or something. Additives dropping out of suspension whatever it is. Run 16 ounces of RMI25, it will remove them and deposit it in the overflow tank, the tank traps that stuff. Then drain off the over flow tank. If you have the black tank you will need a flashlight to see the slime, and if you don't want to remove the tank just use a wet dry vac.

How many miles on the coolant, I assume it's HOAT? Ever changed it? Ever add water?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You still have power train warranty probably, have them look at it. I don't know that is not the rule or the exception. I wonder what other guys who have replaced t stats looked like.

Was it rough at all? slimey?

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wonder if that's evidence as to why they say some coolants can't be mixed. I'll be swapping out my thermo in the next few days and will post my findings

OP
OP
P

pkrexer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was rough and would flake off. I drenched it in brake cleaner and got most of it off.

You still have power train warranty probably, have them look at it. I don't know that is not the rule or the exception. I wonder what other guys who have replaced t stats looked like.

Was it rough at all? slimey?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would pose a question directed at guys who have changed their t stat and how it looked. I see it isn't rusty. I wonder what the hoses feel like on the inside. I thought they didn't use Purple to 2014, maybe you got some of the first stuff. Nobody really knows what this coolant will do long term, it is a type of dex clone.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What does your reservoir look like? Did you test the antifreeze percentage? Any chance it was topped off with wiper washer fluid?

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is the paint/corrosion resistant coating peeling off of the coolant neck. New, they are a nice gloss black color. After a while, when you remove them, the inside is bare metal. You caught yours in between. Yes there are flakes of that swimming around in your coolant, no it's not going to damage anything.

OP
OP
P

pkrexer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Makes sense to me, thanks for clearing it up.

That is the paint/corrosion resistant coating peeling off of the coolant neck. New, they are a nice gloss black color. After a while, when you remove them, the inside is bare metal. You caught yours in between. Yes there are flakes of that swimming around in your coolant, no it's not going to damage anything.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Another oem POS cheap out!!!! I replaced mine with a new Billet Technogies polished one, mine was fine though. Those flakes could cause clogging in fins or heater core...I would bring that back down to dealer and complain... it should not be flaking off like that in the cooling system. This could be something that was overlooked by Ram engineering when they switched to the newer style coolant...or you got a bad batch of coatings. I would also consider ordering a new billet style water neck made of solid metal with no coating... Matt at Moes has or you can customize directly from Billet technogies.:word:

Billet Technology Water Neck 03-up Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Didn't think of that, Hipps could be right. The fact that is was rough, could be powder coat pealing and not additives falling out of suspension. That is why I asked for if it was rough or slimey. Just doesn't look like typical coolant damage. it could be the coolant is perfect, just that they used a t stat that was powder coated. That is also why I asked for the condition of the inside of the hoses. It may be worth it to replace a section of hose, find the cheapest length, and cut that sucker open. Hipps = genius.

Coolant is made to interact with metal, not powder coat. With any coolant damage, you usually see rust as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963