1 year later bully dog review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bradmxz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I have my bully dog GT hemi tuner a year now and I'd like to give a review as there really isn't a whole lot of information that I can find regarding a long term review. When I got my bully dog tuner it was amazing. I could feel a big difference in power and torque. The gas mileage went up by a lot. When you first install the tune the truck seems completely different. The way it shifts is the biggest thing I notice. It has better throttle response and doesn't lag as much. Also before the tune was installed I used to notice a kind of surge when I pressed the pedal and the truck downshifted. The Rpms would jump but after a second or so they would drop by a couple hundred rpm. With tune installed this was completely gone. Now as I said this is all at the first of the install. Here comes the bad. After the tune is installed for some time the truck starts to go back towards normal. The longer it's installed the worse it gets. Even getting worse than normal. The surge I mentioned comes back. But perhaps the most troubling of all the trans shifts up so often that it even shifts up going up hill and the drivetrain develops a shutter. I have called bully dog service department and told them about this and they said they were unaware of anything. Once removing the tune this all stops. Re installing the tune and its fine until you run it for awhile again. It takes maybe a couple to three weeks for this to develop. Once again removing the tune and reinstalling. Now perhaps the biggest problem I have is the connection in which the actual bully dog unit uses. It connects with a hdmi cable to a square box which connects to the obd2 port. Well my connection has come loose on the back of the unit itself. Before I go any further I have the pillar pod and pillar adaptor for the bully dog so there has been absolutely no strain on the connection from day one of the install. At first it started randomly loosing the connection and would turn off and back on immediately. So once again I called they're service department and told them about this. Now I'm in Newfoundland and if there's anyone that's gonna read this that lives here as well I don't have to tell you there's a premium on just about everything you buy here. I paid $785 for the bully dog tuner, the pillar pod and the pillar pod mount. That's a fine chunk of money in my opinion. The service department at first said they would send me a box and for me to put said items in the box and send it back for repair. I thought this was great service and was eagerly awaiting the box in the mail. So a couple weeks went by and a box didn't arrive. I called again and the person I was talking to said that they don't do that. They gave me what they called an RA number and said I had to pack it up my self and ship it to them. Big difference from the first person I talked to. In my mind if I paid almost $800 for a product that didn't do what it's supposed to do then the company making said product should make that right. So anyway I didn't send it to them. Right now I have a bully dog unit in my truck that I paid almost $800 for and the connection has gotten so bad that it turns on. The only way I can get it to power up is to remove it from the pillar and physically hold the hdmi cable in a certain position. I have removed the tune completely as I'm afraid at some point it won't turn on at all and I'll be stuck with it in my ecu. I have to say that I don't really expect something I buy to last forever but something that I paid that much money for to not work a complete year is a little ridiculous in my opinion. Anyway it's a pretty long review. Just thought I would put it out there as not much is posted other than the initial install and a few weeks to maybe a month after that

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i made it through, tks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dyadeta