2004 4.7L Coolant Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First things first I am brand new to using automotive forums, so bear with me. I bought a 2004 1500 4.7L 4x4 back in December with 110k miles on it. I have loved the truck so far besides some minor rust.

Cut to about a week ago when I am sitting in line to get some sweet sweet hangover food, and my truck starts to run a little hot. Not enough for the check gauges light to come on, but about 3/4 of the way up. I parked it and let it cool off then continued home without a hiccup while moving. I checked it out and determined I needed a new fan clutch hoping that would stop the over heating at idle, however upon starting it up and running it to hot again, it went right over the mid line and kept climbing.

While taking the fan shroud off to replace the fan clutch, I disconnected the upper radiator hose, and found there was nothing but hot, pressurized air, inside of it. My reservoir was just under the fill line and has been that way for a while. So now I start to think I have air in my system. I pop the radiator cap off and add coolant in while its running till it seems like all the air has bled out, and voila, it doesn't over heat at idle...until the next day. Upon inspection, the reservoir was now almost to the brim full and the radiator was lacking coolant again.

This is where I'm at now, trying to figure out what to check and where to go next. I know enough automotive lingo to get me by and to do most of my own work, but I am at a loss! Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!

Edit: Just realized I am in the wrong part of the forum for my year :/

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would add some rmi 25, if there is any contamination in the radiator it will remove it and put it in the over flow. I don't wager a guess on how your over fill is full and your radiator is low.

OP
OP
A

AustinsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would add some rmi 25, if there is any contamination in the radiator it will remove it and put it in the over flow. I don't wager a guess on how your over fill is full and your radiator is low.

I was planning on flushing it tonight, and trying to get any contaminants out. I forgot to mention in the post that if I am at idle and rev the engine that it will cool itself back off to normal temp, however I just put a new water pump in like 3 months ago after it failed.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Any coolant in your oil ?

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A blown head gasket can leak coolant without showing much of a trace. If you have a misfire, you might want to check that. I had a 4.7 with cooling issues. My give away was that "sloshing" sound of air in the cooling system and the misfires from two blown head gaskets.

OP
OP
A

AustinsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A blown head gasket can leak coolant without showing much of a trace. If you have a misfire, you might want to check that. I had a 4.7 with cooling issues. My give away was that "sloshing" sound of air in the cooling system and the misfires from two blown head gaskets.

No misfires, and I am not leaking any coolant is the weird part. It is all just being pushed from my radiator into my overflow. I just flushed the radiator really well and bled the system really well tonight, so maybe that will help tomorrow. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avurado