2009-2015+ Kooks Ram Long Tube Header Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As they title says - I purchased a set of the new Kooks 1-3/4" catless headers along with a corsa exhaust for the ram.

https://www.kooksheaders.com/news/2009-2015-dodge-ram-1500-series.html

Dropped the headers off at a local coater (Top Gun Coating) here in Calgary for ceramic coating (titanium).

Looking at installing them Friday July 29th. I have not seen anyone that has run these headers on the forums.

I will update with pics from the install.

- 1-3/4" kooks long tube
- Kooks catless Y pipe
- Custom tune from HemiFever
- Corsa catback exhuast
- Using 6.1L exhaust manifold gaskets
- Kooks supplies stage 8 header bolts free of charge with their kit

Very happy with the quality of these headers!

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 459
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 394

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cool, let us know how they fit; especially the clearance around brake lines and the steering column.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm in Airdrie ,and i'm really curious how they fit to John.There's a hell'va good tuner out of DKW in Edmonton named Chris Zelinski if you're interested,he's tuned mine to corrected 12.1's at Castrol on just a 75 shot of nitrous.

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm in Airdrie ,and i'm really curious how they fit to John.There's a hell'va good tuner out of DKW in Edmonton named Chris Zelinski if you're interested,he's tuned mine to corrected 12.1's at Castrol on just a 75 shot of nitrous.

I'm really hoping that they go in without to much fuss. I was originally going to go down to Tilley to Westers Garage for my tune. But after deciding to install myself I went the route with Hemi Fever for convenience and the amount of satisfaction people seem to have with Sean.

Looking into the future, I am thinking about a set of ported heads and a cam from inertia motorsports (installation would be done by Samuel @ MMP in Morinville) I may be looking to a local tuner then, so I will keep DKW in mind.

After talking with Stu at Inertia Motorsports I would go with their big valve heads and the spartan eagle plus cam.

Also, I will be getting this truck on a dyno the first week of August for a base line run to see what kind of numbers I'm getting with the mods to date.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How much do these cost with the headers+y-pipe?

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
How much do these cost with the headers+y-pipe?

I timed it while I was down in Idaho on vacation, free shipping, no taxes when shipped to Idaho, only paid $24 CAD in duties coming back over the boarder.

Headers (35102200) - $918 USD
Y Pipe (35103100) - $438 USD
Ceramic Coating of Headers and Y Pipe - $305 CAD
Corsa Exhaust (14405BLK) - $1089 USD

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not bad, now I'm not sure to go with ARHs or these, lol. Both seem to be of equal quality though.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I see you go the route of "you get what you pay for" so congrats and enjoy once all items are installed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm really hoping that they go in without to much fuss. I was originally going to go down to Tilley to Westers Garage for my tune. But after deciding to install myself I went the route with Hemi Fever for convenience and the amount of satisfaction people seem to have with Sean.

Looking into the future, I am thinking about a set of ported heads and a cam from inertia motorsports (installation would be done by Samuel @ MMP in Morinville) I may be looking to a local tuner then, so I will keep DKW in mind.

After talking with Stu at Inertia Motorsports I would go with their big valve heads and the spartan eagle plus cam.

Also, I will be getting this truck on a dyno the first week of August for a base line run to see what kind of numbers I'm getting with the mods to date.

You should get together with Kurtis Holland(Charonblk on here) and pick his brain when you go shopping for cam and heads.I know of Samuel,haven't met him,but know his name.Another good outfit for tuning and installation is Chris and Dale at CCMR in Spruce Grove,they've worked with AJ out of New York,and are the guys tuning Ron Davids Hellcat to 10.6's at Castrol.Who's dyno are you planning on using? There's a Calgary Truck meet every Thursday,i'll probably be there this Thurs and I think Kurtis will also be there with his supercharged monster,you should make a point of coming to it.
Rick

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...Very happy with the quality of these headers!

I sure hope so. For what you paid I hope you got a handy at least. Blows my mind how much longtubes are for these trucks. Nothing like when I put them on my old '70 Chevelle.

Edit: Please post pics from underneath once the install is done. Love to see them.

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You should get together with Kurtis Holland(Charonblk on here) and pick his brain when you go shopping for cam and heads.I know of Samuel,haven't met him,but know his name.Another good outfit for tuning and installation is Chris and Dale at CCMR in Spruce Grove,they've worked with AJ out of New York,and are the guys tuning Ron Davids Hellcat to 10.6's at Castrol.Who's dyno are you planning on using? There's a Calgary Truck meet every Thursday,i'll probably be there this Thurs and I think Kurtis will also be there with his supercharged monster,you should make a point of coming to it.
Rick

Not sure where to dyno in Calgary. If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Where and when are these Thursday truck meets? I will talk with Kurtis about cams and heads. Just starting my research about who has been in the game and has proved themselves... looks like Inertia, modern muscle, HHP, arrington performance are all top notch. No bad choices there.

My only thing is this truck is my daily driver and I do not currently plan on boosting it. Trying to build a rock solid truck that hauls ass!

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in on this.
Curious about your results with the Kooks. I was originally sizing up a set of JBA's but after talking to Wild One about the instal issues he turned me off them. Just cant seem to swallow the cost of the ARH's.

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm in on this.
Curious about your results with the Kooks. I was originally sizing up a set of JBA's but after talking to Wild One about the instal issues he turned me off them. Just cant seem to swallow the cost of the ARH's.

I chose Kooks over ARH due to the fact that their quality is unreal, you will save a couple hundred bucks, and they have actually done dyno testing on these headers. I have not seen ARH or Stainless Works supply any data on their testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPyAoCTNRKU&feature=youtu.be

Picking up 32 on the dyno without a tune. With a Hemi Fever, Greene tune, whoever you choose is going to give you some damn good results.

Note that Kooks supplies stage 8 locking header bolts free of cost with these headers, which is another bonus of $100 bucks on top.

I am choosing not to use the kooks supplied gaskets and opted to purchase the 6.1L hemi gasket at an added cost. But I probably would have done the same with the ARH even though some say their gasket is of suffice quality, replacing a manifold gasket is not something I want to do in the near future after this mod.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I chose Kooks over ARH due to the fact that their quality is unreal, you will save a couple hundred bucks, and they have actually done dyno testing on these headers. I have not seen ARH or Stainless Works supply any data on their testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPyAoCTNRKU&feature=youtu.be

Picking up 32 on the dyno without a tune. With a Hemi Fever, Greene tune, whoever you choose is going to give you some damn good results.

Note that Kooks supplies stage 8 locking header bolts free of cost with these headers, which is another bonus of $100 bucks on top.

I am choosing not to use the kooks supplied gaskets and opted to purchase the 6.1L hemi gasket at an added cost. But I probably would have done the same with the ARH even though some say their gasket is of suffice quality, replacing a manifold gasket is not something I want to do in the near future after this mod.

Yeah after seeing your post yesterday I did some searching. Kooks seem to be the way I'm leaning now. The added cost for a quality item will likely save me when it comes to paying for install. The bolts being included is an added bonus. I'll probably install the 6.1 gasket too.

Any tips on where to buy these? I'm not totally against doing an MSO run for them.

I'm excited to see how they work out for you.

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah after seeing your post yesterday I did some searching. Kooks seem to be the way I'm leaning now. The added cost for a quality item will likely save me when it comes to paying for install. The bolts being included is an added bonus. I'll probably install the 6.1 gasket too.

Any tips on where to buy these? I'm not totally against doing an MSO run for them.

I'm excited to see how they work out for you.

I purchased my set from Auto Anything and had them price match Maryland Speed. Only reason I did not purchase from Maryland is that they quoted me a 8-12 week lead time for some reason.... Auto Anything had them shipped out directly from Kooks 3 days after I paid.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased my set from Auto Anything and had them price match Maryland Speed.

Huge thanks for the tip :favorites13:
Ordered the 1 3/4 long tubes and a Y pipe with Cats. Saved over $800 CAD compared to what a local shop quoted me.
I'm hoping to install close to the end of August.

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Huge thanks for the tip :favorites13:
Ordered the 1 3/4 long tubes and a Y pipe with Cats. Saved over $800 CAD compared to what a local shop quoted me.
I'm hoping to install close to the end of August.

No problem! I did a lot of shopping around before purchasing everything. I was quoted over $5k from Davenport for ARH headers and a tune. Could not believe it...