2009-2015+ Kooks Ram Long Tube Header Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well after about 14 hours I got them damn Kooks in!

Ran into a couple issues:

1) I do not have an engine hoist which is required to get the bottom bolt holding the oil dip stick to the engine block because it is so conveniently bolted behind the drivers side engine mount :suicide:

I ended up having to cut the dip stick tube with a pipe cutter, and I used a piece of fuel line to hold it back together along with some hose clamps... I will be going to a local shop to have them lift the engine and put a new dip stick tube in. so that sucks!! On the plus side, after 2 days of driving there is absolutely no sign of the fuel line melting. My headers and Y pipe are ceramic coated and I'm guessing that had a lot to do with it. I can not believe how fast these things cool down and keep the heat in.

2) I had my Corsa exhaust realigned at a muffler shop a month ago and the ******** had torqued the exhaust clamps on so tight that it was impossible to take apart the exhaust. Since you have to push back the entire exhaust from the muffler back in order to get the stock headers and Y pipe out, it made it very difficult to handle the entire muffler back in one piece, get it realigned, get all the exhaust hangers back in, and get it mounted to the new 3" back pipe from Kooks.

3) My O2 sensors were so seized that i could not get them out of the stock Y pipes. I was stupid and was working on getting the exhaust from the Y pipe back off and made it even more difficult trying to get them out. Good tip is just to unplug the O2 sensors from their harness and take the Y pipe out with the O2 sensors still bolted in and deal with them once its out from under the truck.

4) There is a transmission cable that is sitting right on the drivers side long tube header. There was some heat tape on it already from the factory, so my guess is that its damn close already from stock. I went to a local performance shop and wrapped the transmission cable with header wrap and locked it down with steel zip ties.

That was about it. I did it all on a drive way on axle stands. All in all, a little frustrating, a little swearing, no tool throwing, so not the worst I've ever done!

This thing sounds MEAN when you step on it. But just as quiet as stock on the highway, very happy with the turnout.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well after about 14 hours I got them damn Kooks in!

Ran into a couple issues:

1) I do not have an engine hoist which is required to get the bottom bolt holding the oil dip stick to the engine block because it is so conveniently bolted behind the drivers side engine mount :suicide:

I ended up having to cut the dip stick tube with a pipe cutter, and I used a piece of fuel line to hold it back together along with some hose clamps... I will be going to a local shop to have them lift the engine and put a new dip stick tube in. so that sucks!! On the plus side, after 2 days of driving there is absolutely no sign of the fuel line melting. My headers and Y pipe are ceramic coated and I'm guessing that had a lot to do with it. I can not believe how fast these things cool down and keep the heat in.

2) I had my Corsa exhaust realigned at a muffler shop a month ago and the ******** had torqued the exhaust clamps on so tight that it was impossible to take apart the exhaust. Since you have to push back the entire exhaust from the muffler back in order to get the stock headers and Y pipe out, it made it very difficult to handle the entire muffler back in one piece, get it realigned, get all the exhaust hangers back in, and get it mounted to the new 3" back pipe from Kooks.

3) My O2 sensors were so seized that i could not get them out of the stock Y pipes. I was stupid and was working on getting the exhaust from the Y pipe back off and made it even more difficult trying to get them out. Good tip is just to unplug the O2 sensors from their harness and take the Y pipe out with the O2 sensors still bolted in and deal with them once its out from under the truck.

4) There is a transmission cable that is sitting right on the drivers side long tube header. There was some heat tape on it already from the factory, so my guess is that its damn close already from stock. I went to a local performance shop and wrapped the transmission cable with header tape and locked it down with steel zip ties.

That was about it. I did it all on a drive way on axle stands. All in all, a little frustrating, a little swearing, no tool throwing, so not the worst I've ever done!

This thing sounds MEAN when you step on it. But just as quiet as stock on the highway, very happy with the turnout.

I had Lokar build me a custom flexible dipstick John,wasn't all that cheap,but sure works good,it's R&R'able with the headers in place.Are you going to the carshow in Airdrie this coming Saturday,i'd really like to look your install over,lol.Rick

FlatLandRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Curious... Any one ever run these on a 3/4 ton 5.7 hemi? A truck that larger should be able to fit them. Just dont have the heart to throw money at a set of stubbies

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had Lokar build me a custom flexible dipstick John,wasn't all that cheap,but sure works good,it's R&R'able with the headers in place.Are you going to the carshow in Airdrie this coming Saturday,i'd really like to look your install over,lol.Rick

What is the part # for the flexible dipstick? I just got off the phone with Lokar and they said they don have one for our trucks. But if you've got yours installed already well then it must work hahaha.

I probably could make it out to the show. I'll PM you with my contact info.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the part # for the flexible dipstick? I just got off the phone with Lokar and they said they don have one for our trucks. But if you've got yours installed already well then it must work hahaha.

I probably could make it out to the show. I'll PM you with my contact info.

I've used Lokar for custom dipsticks before and if you let them know what type of block you're going into, they'll know which end to put on the block side. The rest is just some -6 SS tubing with an end on it for a dipstick handle. You tell them how long you want the tubing to be and they'll make it. They'll send you a few adel clamps to mount it securely, and they'll give you enough extra on the dipstick itself to cut it to length.

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well my truck is in the shop currently to replace both front shocks, can't believe that the stockers are already shot! noticed the leaks when I was doing the install. Quoted me $350 to put in a new dip stick tube... scratch that just got a call and they now want $1,000. Time to go pick it up and take it to a performance shop and not at the dealer i guess!

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy catfish! Is that $1000 quote just because that one bolt behind the motor mount is that hard to get out?? Or do they just don't want to do it.

That raises the cost and trouble of installing headers quite a bit...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've used Lokar for custom dipsticks before and if you let them know what type of block you're going into, they'll know which end to put on the block side. The rest is just some -6 SS tubing with an end on it for a dipstick handle. You tell them how long you want the tubing to be and they'll make it. They'll send you a few adel clamps to mount it securely, and they'll give you enough extra on the dipstick itself to cut it to length.

That's exactly what I did,basically told them the measurements I wanted and to put the Hemi car ends on it.

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Holy catfish! Is that $1000 quote just because that one bolt behind the motor mount is that hard to get out?? Or do they just don't want to do it.

That raises the cost and trouble of installing headers quite a bit...

Well at first they were really up for it and since my truck was already in for some work why not. But then I don't know what flew up their butt and got them to call me back and jack the price up to $1k.

Maybe the mechanic just wanted to go home, it was a holiday Monday after all here LOL.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow 14 hr install. Crazy. This one is probably outside my driveway install ability.
Glad you're happy with the results!
Too bad about the dip stick. Even at $350 I think that's a rip off but $1K. Ouch!

My big question is, how do things feel from the butt dyno? You figure they made a good difference?

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wow 14 hr install. Crazy. This one is probably outside my driveway install ability.
Glad you're happy with the results!
Too bad about the dip stick. Even at $350 I think that's a rip off but $1K. Ouch!

My big question is, how do things feel from the butt dyno? You figure they made a good difference?

I have an appointment at a local performance shop and was quoted $250, so I'm getting it all fixed up this monday.

Again Davenport has let me down by telling me they don't want my business, apparently they only want to do jobs that are 12+ hr installs only.

The butt dyno can defiantly tell, it seems the more and more I'm driving the smother the truck is getting, much better than stock.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MAN, those are gorgeous headers! Wild one is a helluva guy and wouldn't steer you wrong; If I had $ to spend on mods, he'd be very busy answering questions from me as well :roflsquared:
I hope this mod turns out as well as we all think it will for you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
John and I got together this afternoon and looked at each others long tube headers,his Kooks are a way nicer set then my JBA's are.They clear the frame and steering shaft with way more room.If anybody is on the fence about buying a set of Kooks or a set of JBA's,buy the Kooks.
It was nice to meet you John,i enjoyed the visit.
Rick

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
John and I got together this afternoon and looked at each others long tube headers,his Kooks are a way nicer set then my JBA's are.They clear the frame and steering shaft with way more room.If anybody is on the fence about buying a set of Kooks or a set of JBA's,buy the Kooks.
It was nice to meet you John,i enjoyed the visit.
Rick

Just what I wanted to hear! :happy107:
After seeing how much effort it took you to get your installed properly I didn't want to go through all that.

John- after driving with them for a few weeks now, how do you find the sound coming out of them.

*Mine get installed on Monday. Couldn't be more excited
:peace:

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a7bfa1de9e52c24349b3608bc3af15d5.jpg

34b7d5aa3a10afd08d431eba6e0dcad2.jpg

Did these this weekend. Did a full custom dual pipe setup. 3" to 2 3/4" at the xpipe into hellcat resonators. Sound incredible and picked major horsepower and torque.

Header install took me a whole 2 hours [emoji12] gotta love having a lift and tools haha. And the exhaust fab took another couple of hours of cutting and fitting and welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ Do you have an Exhaust shop in McKinney?
Jay

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^ Do you have an Exhaust shop in McKinney?

Jay

Nope. I work for McKinney Dodge. I measured out all of my exhaust pipe. Had a muffler shop bend me a couple of pieces. And then I mocked it up, welded it all up and got it setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just what I wanted to hear! :happy107:
After seeing how much effort it took you to get your installed properly I didn't want to go through all that.

John- after driving with them for a few weeks now, how do you find the sound coming out of them.

*Mine get installed on Monday. Couldn't be more excited
:peace:

I'm really happy with it. I have a corsa exhaust and she barks when your on it. But im also running a catless setup.

Where are you having them installed in town? How much are they charging for the install??

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where are you having them installed in town? How much are they charging for the install??

Getting everything installed at Minute Muffler in Shawnesy. Jeff does all the work I cant do myself. Not sure the cost yet. He treats me pretty good. Was quoted $675 for install by a performance shop in town. That was also if they supplied the parts at a much higher cost than what I got them shipped to the boarder for. Saved a big chunk of cash by going and picking them up in Montana.