2009-2015+ Kooks Ram Long Tube Header Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
John and I got together this afternoon and looked at each others long tube headers,his Kooks are a way nicer set then my JBA's are.They clear the frame and steering shaft with way more room.If anybody is on the fence about buying a set of Kooks or a set of JBA's,buy the Kooks.
It was nice to meet you John,i enjoyed the visit.
Rick

What kind of issues did you run into installing the JBA's? If I do get long tubes I was thinking about getting them. At half the price of Kooks or ARH they seem attractive. I know they're not going to outperform the Kooks, but they'll outperform the stock cast logs. I just don't want to get them and run into some major issues trying to get them installed.

Edit: Do you have any pics of the areas where the fit is tight?

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine are pacesetter, and I've honestly never seen dyno numbers where the header out performs another header. The log manifolds on the hemi are the MOST restricting part. My Uncoated pacesetter headers cost me 175.00 shipped through Amazon. I coated them with a high temp ceramic paint and they are killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think kooks or ARH will outperform the JBA. it comes down to fit and finish. Both those companies use better stainless than JBA as well.

Dipstick area is gonna be tight along with the steering shaft.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine are pacesetter, and I've honestly never seen dyno numbers where the header out performs another header. The log manifolds on the hemi are the MOST restricting part. My Uncoated pacesetter headers cost me 175.00 shipped through Amazon. I coated them with a high temp ceramic paint and they are killer.

How was the install/fit on those? At that price it could be worth purchasing them and sending them out for Jet coating.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The install on my lift with my air tool took me maybe an hour and a half. What year is your truck?

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not. However I didn't realize this was a newer model post. My bad. I'm in a 2003. I can't imaging the fit being too different. But it would be something to look in to.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Picked up the truck yesterday from the shop. Kooks headers and Y pipe with cats install took them 6 hrs. No issues on fit. Due to a few busted bolts on my leaking stock manifolds the install was slightly higher. Just under $800 all in.

Love the sound off these things!! Marginally louder at idle. Its barely noticeable. But man oh man when you punch it they really bark.

Installed the updated Hemifever tune (Rev D) to accommodate for the headers too.
Very happy with the money spent. Looking forward to doing some data logging over the next few days to confirm there are no issues.

OP
OP
J

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Picked up the truck yesterday from the shop. Kooks headers and Y pipe with cats install took them 6 hrs. No issues on fit. Due to a few busted bolts on my leaking stock manifolds the install was slightly higher. Just under $800 all in.

Love the sound off these things!! Marginally louder at idle. Its barely noticeable. But man oh man when you punch it they really bark.

Installed the updated Hemifever tune (Rev D) to accommodate for the headers too.
Very happy with the money spent. Looking forward to doing some data logging over the next few days to confirm there are no issues.

Happy to see it did not take very long. I definitely won't be doing it again myself! lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Andrew who did your install ,you had the cheapest header install that I've heard of locally,and they sound like a shop a guy should keep in mind,lol

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Andrew who did your install ,you had the cheapest header install that I've heard of locally,and they sound like a shop a guy should keep in mind,lol

Jeff, the owner at Minute Muffler Shawnesy did the install. He's been in the hot rod game a long time and really knows his stuff. His shop is usually filled with top dollar builds. He's done most of the suspension work on my brothers drift car and a few things on my vehicles over the years. I'd trust him to work on anything i have.

Trucks going in for a re-torque on the bolts and to install the Stage 8 locking clips next week. about 1500km on the new headers and loving them more and more.

Mishalnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy catfish! Is that $1000 quote just because that one bolt behind the motor mount is that hard to get out?? Or do they just don't want to do it.

That raises the cost and trouble of installing headers quite a bit...
That sucks a shop in my town said he will install headers for 500 sr (134$) and a x pipe exhaust for 585$

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Well after about 14 hours I got them damn Kooks in!

Ran into a couple issues:

1) I do not have an engine hoist which is required to get the bottom bolt holding the oil dip stick to the engine block because it is so conveniently bolted behind the drivers side engine mount :suicide:

I ended up having to cut the dip stick tube with a pipe cutter, and I used a piece of fuel line to hold it back together along with some hose clamps... I will be going to a local shop to have them lift the engine and put a new dip stick tube in. so that sucks!! On the plus side, after 2 days of driving there is absolutely no sign of the fuel line melting. My headers and Y pipe are ceramic coated and I'm guessing that had a lot to do with it. I can not believe how fast these things cool down and keep the heat in.

2) I had my Corsa exhaust realigned at a muffler shop a month ago and the ******** had torqued the exhaust clamps on so tight that it was impossible to take apart the exhaust. Since you have to push back the entire exhaust from the muffler back in order to get the stock headers and Y pipe out, it made it very difficult to handle the entire muffler back in one piece, get it realigned, get all the exhaust hangers back in, and get it mounted to the new 3" back pipe from Kooks.

3) My O2 sensors were so seized that i could not get them out of the stock Y pipes. I was stupid and was working on getting the exhaust from the Y pipe back off and made it even more difficult trying to get them out. Good tip is just to unplug the O2 sensors from their harness and take the Y pipe out with the O2 sensors still bolted in and deal with them once its out from under the truck.

4) There is a transmission cable that is sitting right on the drivers side long tube header. There was some heat tape on it already from the factory, so my guess is that its damn close already from stock. I went to a local performance shop and wrapped the transmission cable with header wrap and locked it down with steel zip ties.

That was about it. I did it all on a drive way on axle stands. All in all, a little frustrating, a little swearing, no tool throwing, so not the worst I've ever done!

This thing sounds MEAN when you step on it. But just as quiet as stock on the highway, very happy with the turnout.

Fast forward to a year later you still liking the Kooks? Put mine in 2mweeks ago and dealing with bad leaks where the header ties into the Mid pipe. All they gave me was a Clamp; yes a clamp, and clamps don't seal. ARH and JBA both have a 3 bolt flange if I'm not mistaken. Your talking about $30 in material to make the kooks kit better with correct flanges. Not impressed with Kooks, mid pipe leaks like a civ. For the $$$$$ just go with ARH.
I Wil say the headers themselves dropped right in, I was shocked. No bending, no zip ties, no brake line issue, no trans cable Nothing, just a Perfect fit. They they F up the Mid pipe connection.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Fast forward to a year later you still liking the Kooks? Put mine in 2mweeks ago and dealing with bad leaks where the header ties into the Mid pipe. All they gave me was a Clamp; yes a clamp, and clamps don't seal. ARH and JBA both have a 3 bolt flange if I'm not mistaken. Your talking about $30 in material to make the kooks kit better with correct flanges. Not impressed with Kooks, mid pipe leaks like a civ. For the $$$$$ just go with ARH.
I Wil say the headers themselves dropped right in, I was shocked. No bending, no zip ties, no brake line issue, no trans cable Nothing, just a Perfect fit. They they F up the Mid pipe connection.

As far as I know John sold the truck awhile ago.I'm not sure if he's still checking this site out HH.I haven't seen him in awhile,but I think he still liked the Kooks when he still had the truck.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got about 15,000km on mine. No issues at all.
Very happy with the Kooks headers. Money well spent IMO.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've got about 15,000km on mine. No issues at all.
Very happy with the Kooks headers. Money well spent IMO.

Hey Andrew if you're ever out in Airdrie,let me know,i'd like to look at your Kooks if possible. Might have to drag you up to Castrol one of these days,lol
Rick

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Andrew if you're ever out in Airdrie,let me know,i'd like to look at your Kooks if possible. Might have to drag you up to Castrol one of these days,lol
Rick

No problem.
In all seriousness, I've been meaning to get to Castrol all year. I'd really like to see what this thing will do.
When is the next time you're going up? If i can I'd like to come. Never done a drag night. Would be a ton of fun I bet.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Rick

They look amazing :)

No problem.
In all seriousness, I've been meaning to get to Castrol all year. I'd really like to see what this thing will do.
When is the next time you're going up? If i can I'd like to come. Never done a drag night. Would be a ton of fun I bet.

And the performance is even better, I cant complain about the that. Low, mid to high it gained at all levels.
I need to get up to the Atlanta drag strip, really hot down here right now.

Attachments

• Headers.jpg
    Headers.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 21

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No problem.

Sunday Aug 13th,they are going to be running Street Legals all day Andrew.Usually Street Legals run every Friday night,and if i'm not racing brackets at one of the 1/8th mile airport tracks,i'm at Castrol,lol.Any Friday you want to go up,let me know,i'm planning on going up for the all day ones on the 13th,if that intigues you,lol
Rick