2009 Ram 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancelm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm new to this forum. I'm trying to find out has any one had any timing chain issues out of the 09 and up 5.7. Replaced the Cam phaser and new timing chain kit after getting a crankshaft mis alignment code. Cam phaser was faulty. Drove vehicle for a few weeks and the timing chain breaks. So I had to tear it back down and pull the heads. Bent a few valves. Sent the heads off to a machine shop. After I got everything back together atempted to start the truck. It ran for a couple of seconds then it shut off. Would not turn over. Took a wrench and tried to turn it over by hand at the crankshaft, it would not budge. Pulled the oil pan and noticed the crank is trying to turn but the cam is not moving. Pulled the valve covers also and took all of the rockers arms loose. Checked to see if I dropped a valve. Nope all 16 are still in place. Engine still won't turn over. It feels like something is binding. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
mds lifters in correct holes? did you try removing spark plugs? Are all valve stem tips all the way up and at the same height?
stupid question: are all shop rags accounted for? Don't laugh I've seen it twice, before!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lancelm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it is. Also I took note of the front and rear set of lifters. I made sure they went back from where they came.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Tuned in no problems with my 09 yet so can't help.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Did you pull the cam when you did the phaser change? It's possible you damaged a lobe or a cam bearings while reinstalling and the cam's seized, it's unlikely but a possibility. I would tear it down again and make sure that everything turns independently and replace the tensioner and slider.