2011 4X4 Brake Dragging Weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can see the details of my truck in the sig below. 35,245 miles

Had the oil changed at the dealership 3 weeks ago. Drove the truck home, 9 miles. 2 days later i washed it. The truck sat for 17 days. It is, for the most part a garage queen.

Today, 20 minutes into a 40 minute drive, i smelled brakes. I pulled over. RF rotor is so hot it's beginning to smoke. I decided to limp home slowly. I stop every 5 miles or so to let the rotor cool down some. I get out and look each time l stop.

About 15 miles after the brake had begun to drag, it has stopped dragging. It's been perfect since.

I have a theory, but l want to hear what you guys think happened, befor l speak up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, l think it was the "Brake Lock" feature malfunctioning.

The Brake Lock, is when you're stuck in mud, or ice, and one tire (has to be on the same axle) has traction, and its not doing anything, while the tire with no traction is spinning. The computer senses the difference in wheel speed, and applies brake to that wheel.

I think some how, the computer decided to apply brake pressure to the Right Front wheel/tire.

I thought of this while it was going on, and decided to put the truck in AWD. Dont know if that had any effect.

So now, what do you think?

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's the thing with electronics. They never tell you exactly how is supposed to work. Unless you but a service manual for 100 bucks. Possibly 200. I know they're pricey.

I'd rather just have a full time lock like the 80s trucks. Then you know somethings broken If is not spinning and nothing electronic is "working" for you or against you.

That said I like my auto 4wd and shift on the fly when I need it. Haha.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My first guess based on my experience would be the pins on the calipers are gummed up and sticking. This kind of issue is common on vehicles that don't see a lot of road time, even a garage queen that doesn't sit outside. I would take both fronts apart, clean everything and lube it. Guess #2, the caliper is sticking and has to be replaced.

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Ave, thanks for the input.

Ive never had any reason to take the brakes of a car or truck apart. Motorcycles, yes.

This is probably a dumb question, most of mine are. Can l take take something apart, and apply grease? That is assuming that l dont have piston issues.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If its the slides are sticking, yes. If the caliper is sticking it will need to be replaced. Neither one is hard to do. A couple of You Tube videos and you'll be a pro.