2011 4X4 issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buddy has a 2011 1500, he plows snow with it and swears ever since day one there has been a problem with his 4X4. His issue is (only when snow is on the ground) when he is in 4-lock when he hits the gas either in drive or reverse the 4x4 doesn't engage and it bangs into lock position after he is already moving.
He took it to dodge and they told him the truck is supposed to do that..... I cant remember exactly what is different but supposedly from the 11's to the 12's the transfer case is different....
can anybody shed some light on this...

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got an 11, 1500 and it doesn't bang into gear after I'm rolling in 4x4. Something isn't right... Is he putting the truck into neutral to shift into 4 low or is he hitting the neutral button under the 4 wheel switch?

OP
OP
Tbomb

Tbomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got an 11, 1500 and it doesn't bang into gear after I'm rolling in 4x4. Something isn't right... Is he putting the truck into neutral to shift into 4 low or is he hitting the neutral button under the 4 wheel switch?

He is putting it into neutral from the gear shifter... yeah its deffinately not right when you stand outside the truck you can see the rear wheels spin like its in 2 wheel drive and then you can hear the front go bang when the fronts engage....

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
He is putting it into neutral from the gear shifter... yeah its deffinately not right when you stand outside the truck you can see the rear wheels spin like its in 2 wheel drive and then you can hear the front go bang when the fronts engage....

Do you have to put it into neutral to switch into 4wd? Can you do it while in gear? Or in park?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Tbomb

Tbomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it will change while in park or in gear but i am in the habit of putting it in neutral, on my old dakota i used to change it while still rolling at slow speeds but i also used to beat on that poor truck

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
it will change while in park or in gear but i am in the habit of putting it in neutral, on my old dakota i used to change it while still rolling at slow speeds but i also used to beat on that poor truck

I wonder if it wouldn't give that clunk noise if you didn't it in gear.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
May be a dumb question but is he waiting until the 4x4 light is no longer flashing before pressing the gas? If not, rear could be spinning on the snow faster than the front.

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
May be a dumb question but is he waiting until the 4x4 light is no longer flashing before pressing the gas? If not, rear could be spinning on the snow faster than the front.

That's a good question

OP
OP
Tbomb

Tbomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah he waits, it even happens every time he goes from forward to reverse, remember he is plowing snow

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most guys I know that plow, don't plow in 4x4 unless absolutely necessary. I'm not sure what's goin on though, might be time to take it in...

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He has already had warranty work done, plus he has exhaust and an intake on the truck.

That's irrelevant, the intake and exhaust have nothing to do with anything. Have to prove the plow caused the problem to void the powertrain warranty though.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I feel bad but plowing with a 1500 is just a matter of time I would think 2 years max without issues. The front end is not made to plow plain and simple. Hopefully they can help him out though. Not normal to have rough engagement should be smooth.

$miley

OP
OP
Tbomb

Tbomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is at dodge, they are rebuilding his transfer case