2011 5.7 1500 lifter failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I have a bad lifter.

Planning to replace all 4 banks, cam and re in force the valve seats..but curious if I can delete the MDS with the non MDS lifters like I did in my charger.

What other things are needed to delete MDS? Are those lifters safe to put into the engine?

a pcm delete as well im sure.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes they are safe. I put a 2006 motor in my 2003 and it had MDS.. you can either leave the solenoids in or you can get the block plugs. But you'll have to tune them out. Added the solid lifters and a 268 cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I need to swap solenoid too?
I was just going to buy the non mds lifters and tune it out.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't need to. I did just cause I didn't have the wiring anyways. But yeah. Buy the non MDS lifters and then tune out MDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you

OP
OP
S

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay so my truck is done and back together, ready for the key to be turned.. Only issue is I'm still waiting for my handheld tuner to come in so i can get an MDS delete written in the tune.

Is there anyway temporarily to drive this sucker home from the shop? I have the solenoids in the valley "unplugged" - thinking ill just get a code thrown while driving but should be okay?

Ivr also heardmaybe putting into two%
/haul mode might be a temp fox for the 20 mile journey home.

Otherwise i have to tow the sucker :/
Anyone know??

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You can drive it without the solenoids plugged in and you'll throw codes but it'll be fine. The tow/haul was a guarantee to keep it out of MDS in older years but not 100% in the 4th gen but you can use the manual gear selection and that will stop it from going into MDS.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
stoviAZ what oil were you using and how many miles did the lifters fail if you don't mind answering? Was that hemi ticking?

OP
OP
S

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can drive it without the solenoids plugged in and you'll throw codes but it'll be fine. The tow/haul was a guarantee to keep it out of MDS in older years but not 100% in the 4th gen but you can use the manual gear selection and that will stop it from going into MDS.
Thank you!

OP
OP
S

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stoviAZ what oil were you using and how many miles did the lifters fail if you don't mind answering? Was that hemi ticking?
Hey, failure occured roughly 107k miles.
I used over the years, mobile 1, gastrol high mileage for 70k+ and more recently. I switched back to mobile 1

I guess thise lifters are supposed to only last to 90 k? My mechanic said he read that sonewhere

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well bud there is a serious pattern here, you are the 6th guy in a row, as in the last 6 lifter or cam failures, that a non molybdenum oil was used. Gastrol high mileage has no moly, read here. Also read moly basics if you haven't yet. I'm telling you bud it is a serious thing, when you fix your truck I would look at high moly oils in the future. Check out synthetic oil thread, search cam and lifter failures in the forum, it will verify what I said. Last 6 failures and all 6 non moly formulas, I think this is more then coincidence. Sorry for your troubles, Burla (aka straw man) inside jokey.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks AZ for your Feed Back!

Straw-Man beats the living **** out of Window Licker any day!

Can I get/have a nickname?

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I thought u was Sinister, not regal enough?

Reactions: SyN

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey, failure occured roughly 107k miles.
I used over the years, mobile 1, gastrol high mileage for 70k+ and more recently. I switched back to mobile 1

I guess thise lifters are supposed to only last to 90 k? My mechanic said he read that sonewhere

That is bs. I have had two Hemi's an 05 in Durango and one in 09 Ram and both have had 140k without lifter fail. I was not that long ago told my lifters were bad by the dealer and I said no way. I got a second dealer to look at it since I thought it was exhaust manifold and it was indeed exhaust manifold bolts broken by a warped manifold. I don't think 90k is even close to the normal time for a fail.

OP
OP
S

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is bs. I have had two Hemi's an 05 in Durango and one in 09 Ram and both have had 140k without lifter fail. I was not that long ago told my lifters were bad by the dealer and I said no way. I got a second dealer to look at it since I thought it was exhaust manifold and it was indeed exhaust manifold bolts broken by a warped manifold. I don't think 90k is even close to the normal time for a fail.
Both my hemis. 09 & 11 had same problem. Did yours have MDS? Was your 09 actually an eagle?

Camshaft from ram photo attached8fecd0751e9f1bb3adabe02f58c10374.jpg

OP
OP
S

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well bud there is a serious pattern here, you are the 6th guy in a row, as in the last 6 lifter or cam failures, that a non molybdenum oil was used. Gastrol high mileage has no moly, read here. Also read moly basics if you haven't yet. I'm telling you bud it is a serious thing, when you fix your truck I would look at high moly oils in the future. Check out synthetic oil thread, search cam and lifter failures in the forum, it will verify what I said. Last 6 failures and all 6 non moly formulas, I think this is more then coincidence. Sorry for your troubles, Burla (aka straw man) inside jokey.
Ill take a look . have a suggested oil?

OP
OP
S

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Read the mommy basics. Definitely something I need to read into More.

If you have a suggested oil let me know itd be appreciated

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline Oil has the most moly, so does Motul a redline clone, Penzoil Ultra Platinum has high moly made for the hemi, but only the 0w40. Most oils have some moly, but once there is a problem, some guys want more moly. I had lifter tick, I've been using redline for 5 years, lifter tick is gone. I use a royal purple synthetic filter to go with it. GL to you, B

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Both my hemis. 09 & 11 had same problem. Did yours have MDS? Was your 09 actually an eagle?

Camshaft from ram photo attached8fecd0751e9f1bb3adabe02f58c10374.jpg

I have 09 so does my Dad we both use a handful of oils. Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum in 5W-20, or 5W-30. Valvoline Syn 0W-20, 5W-20 or Amsoil XL or SS in 0W-20 or 5W-20. As for filters Mobil 1 EP twice, Mopar a few times, Bosch Distance a couple times and usually Royal Purple filters. If I can't get RP filters I'll get a Fram Ultra as they are probably the best two filters.

Anyway we have had no motor issues on his 04, 07, 09 hemis of my 05 and 09. Maybe we are lucky then but I have always felt Dodge motors are the best and expect over 200k without issue probably 300k I may also be mistaken but I intend to find out in my 09. Btw the 04, and 05 were not MDS but the 07 and 09's are. I have my 09 MDS turned off with tune he does not.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
AZ: If that is your actual cam that failed?
Do you have the actual lifter that was assigned to that cam lobe?

I would really like to see what it looked like.
Looks like the roller seized up & stopped rolling?

What would cause this?

I would really like to dig deeper to see if this is possibly a part of pour quality?

Or

A Lubrication issue? In the sense of an area that does not receive proper oil pressure or oil flow?

Or

If the rollers are getting plugged with sludge or the debris which causes the roller to quit turning?
If you look at these lifters really close the passages or oil passages are extremely tiny it would not take anything to plug these holes.

(within the SOT A year ago or so I posted pics of these lifters which you can actually see how tiny many of these orifices are on the lifters it is ridiculous and how easy they could become plug with any type of sludge your debris)

I would also be curious if most of the issues or all are coming from one side of the motor?
Or if it's sporadic and the fail lifters are actually coming from both sides of the motor?

I know myself only after researching this and reading all that I have read.
these roller cam lifters are very sophisticated with very tiny orifices that the oil has to flow through. General maintenance with oil changes & filtering cannot be neglected or taken lightly.

As for lubrication quality and filtering? That is being discussed and has been discussed with the in the SOT everyday!

I don't know maybe it all boils done to poor design & quality of the cam & lifters & Good Quality oil & filtering is just a huge band-aid.

Last edited: