2012 rebuilt motor options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have every intention of keeping this truck forever, so when it needs a new motor, what are my options. I have done internet searches, and don't see a lot of aftermarket companies doing much with these motors. Not looking for crazy setups, just wondering if a factory motor is my only option.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Actually there are quite a few builders out there who take a crate motor (from MOPAR or other re-power vendors) and build the to your specified HP/torque targets. You can go completely stock, get a mild build or go a bit crazy...all as you please to do.

A2 Speed
Accurate Engines
Jasper
Powertrain Products.net
ShopHemi.com
Speedway Motors

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am just looking for a quality rebuild. Truck has 191xxx miles on it, and I drive 1000 plus miles a week in it. Just replaced whole front axle from hub to hub. Motor/tranny shows no signs of giving up on me any time soon. Just trying to plan my options ahead of time. 5200 for a factory motor is hard for me to swallow.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You said "new motor" so that's what was listed.

If you want to rebuild your current one, have you checked into local shops? The parts are all available from multiple sources.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By new motor, I meant when the old one is dead, I will need a new motor. Don't have time to rebuild one, as this is my daily driver for work. Most likely I will replace the transmission at the same time, just to save on labor down the road. Neither currently are showing any signs of letting me down, I just know as the miles continue to go up, they are gonna eventually need replaced.

southern_welder93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
THETANK, does Arrington build motors for the trucks? I glanced at them before but I thought they only did builds for the cars. I'm probably wrong. I am thing of the same thing with my truck after I rack on some more miles.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If you are not wanting to spend to coin for a MOPAR OEM crate motor, might want to start looking for a low mileage wrecker yard engine and just store it for a rainy day when you are ready.

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn Built to Serve edition
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
THETANK, does Arrington build motors for the trucks? I glanced at them before but I thought they only did builds for the cars. I'm probably wrong. I am thing of the same thing with my truck after I rack on some more miles.

Arrington specializes in Hemi engines. Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep and Ram are their specialty. They do engines and much more. It's a state of the art facility.

I'd really like to get their 468 Hemi installed in my '14 Sport. But funds are low right now so I'll have to settle with my OE 5.7L for time being. LOL!

:favorites13:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You might be surprised how long these engines last.

I'd suggest sending an oil sample out to Blackstone Laboratories. They can tell you if there's any unusual wear in your engine.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I currently have no reason to believe I have a failure in the near future. I just need to be ready for when it does. Getting a used engine and storing it will just lose whatever guarantee it had from the seller.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am at 215k right now and am getting ready to swap the trans with a used one (only 40k on it). Engine is still running strong.

Getting a used and letting it sit is fine as long as you plan on tearing it down and rebuilding before you drop it in. That’s my plan. Just have not come across that perfect deal yet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jasper was listed and we have one of their motors in one of our fords at work. Pretty good reliable company.