2013 5.7 misfire issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grss429

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm working on a 5.7 hemi, with a misfire on cylinder here..

truck has 85k

Heres the codes

p0303 misfire on 3

p0219A P219A - Bank 1 Air/Fuel Ratio Imbalance

Heres what i've done

Swapped coils/plugs/injectors to #1 no change in the code.

02 sensors seem to be switching, (graphed them with scanner)

I checked the injector seals all of them looked fine.

The truck will not really misfire on idle, when you put a heavy load on it, (punching it from say take off) it will misfire hardcore, and start to shudder

Now the truck seems to have a louder "tick" them the so called hemi tick, its more noticeable

So here's what i'm left with...

Do a compression test on #3

Pull valve cover

from what i've heard 2011's had a bad issue with wiping out cams due to stuck lifter..

basically i'm looking for anything I might have missed..

The kracken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the cam is ground down then the valve would be closed more so i doubt a compression check will show anything. Pulling the valve cover and rotating the motor would problably be better

Sent from a device thats sends stuff

The kracken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cam and lifter failures are not uncommon with the hemi

Sent from a device thats sends stuff

mrmagoo_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the valve springs for that cylinder.

OP
OP
G

grss429

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
didn't have alot of time today... so heres what i've done so far..

so i did compression test on cylinders 1 and 3 both came out at 240 PSI? tried 3 different gauges..

Also did a injector noid test on 1 and 3 both injectors seem to be firing, after 3 mins or a so the injector pulse gets really dim

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Next step would be to pull the valve cover or perform a leak down test.

cdog1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM
2013 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI with 93000 miles on it. Bought it new. About 2 months ago I got my first check engine light. Was P1803 I think Fuel Pressure Sensor. Well, started researching and found a lot of guys found the fuel line w/sensor on it was the problem (right beside coil pack #7). I bought the part, changed it out, haven't got the code again. Thought all was good until a week later, light came on again. P0303. Decided to change my plugs. Was a little late anyways. I've heard the are 100000 plugs but I changed them at 50000. Changed them (Plugs look great, no burn or wet). I Cleared the code ran for bit came back on. today i switched coil pack 3 with 1 hoping i would get cylinder 1 misfire, but nope, got 3 again. Also, when I'm pushing 60 i can feel the engine runnin like crap. What do you think? My biggest concern is I'm about 6500 miles from my powertrain warranty running out, & I gotta believe that would be covered.
I sure hope someone can shead some light on the situation.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
2013 Ram 1500 5.7 HEMI with 93000 miles on it. Bought it new. About 2 months ago I got my first check engine light. Was P1803 I think Fuel Pressure Sensor. Well, started researching and found a lot of guys found the fuel line w/sensor on it was the problem (right beside coil pack #7). I bought the part, changed it out, haven't got the code again. Thought all was good until a week later, light came on again. P0303. Decided to change my plugs. Was a little late anyways. I've heard the are 100000 plugs but I changed them at 50000. Changed them (Plugs look great, no burn or wet). I Cleared the code ran for bit came back on. today i switched coil pack 3 with 1 hoping i would get cylinder 1 misfire, but nope, got 3 again. Also, when I'm pushing 60 i can feel the engine runnin like crap. What do you think? My biggest concern is I'm about 6500 miles from my powertrain warranty running out, & I gotta believe that would be covered.
Exactly Same problem here, I started my new thread to document my experience with this issue. So far waiting for dealership. Yes, powertrain warranty does cover this and make sure to ask for rental as it'll take them a while...

Why are you trying to diagnose this yourself if you still have powertrain warranty? It's a complicated issue, I had another local shop try to do brief diagnostics but they won't know without tearing down the engine.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

All the more reason to get this documented by the dealership.

ahullram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hi everyone, Art here, I have a 2014 5.7 Ram with a P0306 code. Everything appears to be good mechanically, and when I checked the coil output the spark is weak causing the plugs not to fire. Any suggestions?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
hi everyone, Art here, I have a 2014 5.7 Ram with a P0306 code. Everything appears to be good mechanically, and when I checked the coil output the spark is weak causing the plugs not to fire. Any suggestions?

Should probably create your own thread so you don’t hijack OPs thread.

Start swapping components with a known good cylinder, clear the codes and see if the misfire moves. So if you swapped the coil with cylinder 8, and now you have a P0308, then you know the coil is causing the misfire.

Do that procedure with the coils,spark plugs and injector. If after swapping everything it’s still cylinder 6 it’s going to be a mechanical issue with the engine.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963