Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance


Engine & Performance

2013 RAM 1500 321 > 392 Flash?


This is a discussion on 2013 RAM 1500 321 > 392 Flash? within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Just bought a used 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie, with 3.21 gears no LSD. Looking into possibly upgrading to 3.92s and ...


Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 41

Ram Year: 2013 Laramie
Engine: HEMI 5.7
Default 2013 RAM 1500 321 > 392 Flash?
Just bought a used 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie, with 3.21 gears no LSD. Looking into possibly upgrading to 3.92s and adding the LSD. If I did that, would I need to have the computer flashed?


Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
nforkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Kotta390's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas
Age: 32
Posts: 1,078

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Not at all.


__________________
2014 Express 8spd w/3.92s
Greene Racing Tuned
Kotta390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
 
Bobbo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 29
Posts: 105

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Default
Originally Posted by Kotta390 View Post
Not at all.
Really? Jeeps go into limp home mode if you don't recalibrate for the new gear ratio. Since the vehicle speed sensors don't match up with the wheel speed sensors.
I imagine the speedometer would be way off without a flash as well.
I'm curious as I just ordered my 3.92s and look to install them soon.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
 
Kotta390's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas
Age: 32
Posts: 1,078

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Really? Jeeps go into limp home mode if you don't recalibrate for the new gear ratio. Since the vehicle speed sensors don't match up with the wheel speed sensors.
I imagine the speedometer would be way off without a flash as well.
I'm curious as I just ordered my 3.92s and look to install them soon.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
I can't speak for Jeeps. On the Rams, changing the gear ratios require literally nothing more than the actual install. Been done thousands of time and there has never been in issue that I know of. I changed from 3.21 open to 3.92 LSD and have roughly 20k miles with zero issues.


__________________
2014 Express 8spd w/3.92s
Greene Racing Tuned
Kotta390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Bobbo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 29
Posts: 105

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Default
Originally Posted by Kotta390 View Post
I can't speak for Jeeps. On the Rams, changing the gear ratios require literally nothing more than the actual install. Been done thousands of time and there has never been in issue that I know of. I changed from 3.21 open to 3.92 LSD and have roughly 20k miles with zero issues.
Good to know! Makes life a lot easier if warranty work for some other issue is needed. Don't have to worry about the dealer PCM updates.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 41

Ram Year: 2013 Laramie
Engine: HEMI 5.7
Default
Thanks for the replies.

That front end is going to be a PITA. Moe's got me hooked me on (rear 3.92 R&P, install kit, got the Mag-Tech Diff Cover, OEM LSD and Bilstein shocks, w/ adj fronts for leveling) everything but the front diff, going to have to get that from MOPAR.

I bet if I ask my dealer service rep guy, he'll say yeah you need to reflash!

Kotta390 - Where did you find a front diff from? New or salvage? or something other, like maybe your truck is 2wd!
nforkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
69GWC's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Spring hill, Kansas
Age: 49
Posts: 1,876

Ram Year: 2016 Ram Express QC
Engine: 5.7 Hemi, 8sp
Default
So is the ring gear welded to the carrier ? is that the problem with the front.
Seems like the aftermarket would make a ring gear and new carrier if that's the case.


__________________
Drogon, 2016 HD 1500 Delmonico Red Express QC, 4x4, 5.7L Hemi , 8sp,
Tinted windows ,Carven Progressive, Bilsteins at 2.8 in the front, rear TTC-1211s , Bilstein shocks & Timber Grove air bags ,Husky liners, ATC- LES Topper .


2016 Harley Davidson Low Rider, 103 H.O. , PCV Tuner Rinehart exhaust.
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 35
Posts: 1,084

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
I would think your speedo will be off with the new gears, as well the shift points in the trans are based on load and rpm, seeing that you will be higher than expected rpm Im surprised it doesnt throw a fit?
WilliamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Kotta390's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Texas
Age: 32
Posts: 1,078

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by WilliamS View Post
I would think your speedo will be off with the new gears, as well the shift points in the trans are based on load and rpm, seeing that you will be higher than expected rpm Im surprised it doesnt throw a fit?
No because for the longest time the Dodge trucks have used "Speedometer" speed based on wheel speed, not ring gear/differential speed sensors. Change your tire size and the speedometer will be off. Change your differential gear set and it doesn't care. The shifting will also be the same. I have owned a 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen and changed the gears in all of them and the speedometer never once was off by anymore then it was from the factory.


__________________
2014 Express 8spd w/3.92s
Greene Racing Tuned
Kotta390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 561

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7
Default
Originally Posted by Kotta390 View Post
No because for the longest time the Dodge trucks have used "Speedometer" speed based on wheel speed, not ring gear/differential speed sensors. Change your tire size and the speedometer will be off. Change your differential gear set and it doesn't care. The shifting will also be the same. I have owned a 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen and changed the gears in all of them and the speedometer never once was off by anymore then it was from the factory.
Man, you should really start checking the gear ratio you want on the build sheet haha. Just messing with you.
dkmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ram 1500 Which flash chip works best bang for buck? gracing2000 Engine & Performance 4 12-19-2013 04:52 PM
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited to a 2013 Ram 2500 coloradan General Discussions 22 12-05-2013 10:28 PM
New 1500 - flash floods in Phoenix SDChief General Discussions 7 07-22-2013 01:11 PM
B&G PCM flash Tramotorsports Engine & Performance 5 07-11-2012 06:27 PM
Want to know your PCM's last flash? Okiespaniel General Discussion 4 02-29-2012 08:35 AM

<




GM Truck Forum
Ford Raptor Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
Chevy Cobalt Forum
Chevy Camaro Forum
Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Ford Truck Forum
88-98 GM Truck Forum
73-87 Gm Truck Forum
Ford Expedition Forum
Chevy Equinox Forum
Chevy Cruze Forum
Jeep Liberty Forum
Jeep Forum
Dodge Ram SRT10 Forum
Chrysler 200 Forum
Scion xD Forum
Scion xB Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum
SRT Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Buick Enclave Forum
Cadillac Forum
Cadillac XTS Forum