2013 RAM 1500 321 > 392 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nforkram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Got all of the parts, front, rear, LSD, mostly from Moe's and MOPAR One, all OEM, for a 3.92 / LSD Upgrade.

When I bought the truck, I got the lifetime care, after driving, decided I wanted to upgrade the gear ratio, and add the LSD. I can cancel the warranty within 60 days, have local driveline shop do the the install, and get all of my warranty money back.

Or, Chrysler Warranties Direct, said, if I had a RAM dealer do the install, then I would not void the warranty. Anybody ever had a dealer to this? Not sure if they can.

I know it is going to cost more, but with all of the electronics and all, would like to keep the warranty if I can.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly if you spent a lot of money for something for your Ram i say let the Guys who know something about Rams (at least i hope they know) do it and enjoy the fact that you still have your warranty :favorites13:

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Do you have a V6 or a Hemi?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mike905

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7L
Got all of the parts, front, rear, LSD, mostly from Moe's and MOPAR One, all OEM, for a 3.92 / LSD Upgrade.

When I bought the truck, I got the lifetime care, after driving, decided I wanted to upgrade the gear ratio, and add the LSD. I can cancel the warranty within 60 days, have local driveline shop do the the install, and get all of my warranty money back.

Or, Chrysler Warranties Direct, said, if I had a RAM dealer do the install, then I would not void the warranty. Anybody ever had a dealer to this? Not sure if they can.

I know it is going to cost more, but with all of the electronics and all, would like to keep the warranty if I can.

How much did all the parts cost? and what was your quote on install? Are you in the US or canada? also interested in doing this.

Trexterra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought my truck used and had the dealer coordinate for a gear swap done by four wheel parts. They quoted me 3.92 or 4.10 gears installed with a 3 year/36000 mile warranty for just over 2k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

H3MI UP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What all is needed to do this swap. Do I need to change the front diff?

OP
OP
N

nforkram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I do have the Hemi and in US (northern VA). From Moe's got the rear OEM R&P, OEM LSD, Install Kit and Mag-Tec Rear Cover. Got the front differential from MOPAR One.

I have about $2,000 in parts, still waiting on dealer install estimate, part of the problem, they don't like that I already bought everything, though everything is Chrysler OEM, except for the rear cover and Moe's Install Kit.

YES do have to change the front diff, no R&P (welded to the carrier) swap for the front. MOPAR One had the best price on that.

You would not be able to install 4.10 in the front, that front diff is only available in 3.21, 3.55, and 3.92s. You can do 4.10 in the rear, 2wd only.

6" Lift, 35s and 3.21s !? You need 3.92s! You would need 1) OEM Front Diff, 2) OEM Rear R&P, Moe's Rear Install Kit, Rear OEM LSD (if not there already), and good diff cover (extra fluid and heat dissipation), about $2,000 for all, plus install, for me anyway.

Trexterra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have the Hemi and in US (northern VA). From Moe's got the rear OEM R&P, OEM LSD, Install Kit and Mag-Tec Rear Cover. Got the front differential from MOPAR One.

I have about $2,000 in parts, still waiting on dealer install estimate, part of the problem, they don't like that I already bought everything, though everything is Chrysler OEM, except for the rear cover and Moe's Install Kit.

YES do have to change the front diff, no R&P (welded to the carrier) swap for the front. MOPAR One had the best price on that.

You would not be able to install 4.10 in the front, that front diff is only available in 3.21, 3.55, and 3.92s. You can do 4.10 in the rear, 2wd only.

6" Lift, 35s and 3.21s !? You need 3.92s! You would need 1) OEM Front Diff, 2) OEM Rear R&P, Moe's Rear Install Kit, Rear OEM LSD (if not there already), and good diff cover (extra fluid and heat dissipation), about $2,000 for all, plus install, for me anyway.
Weird, they didn't quote anything but ring and pinion for the front. Hopefully it doesn't turn in to a **** show when I take it in for the swap. I'm brand new to the Ram scene but I did figure 3.92 would make for an easier swap than 4.10 so I went with that. Better daily driving mpg as well. Anyways yeah what's so special about the front diff? Got more info on it?

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
When I had my 3.92 installed I called the dealer and they wanted twice as much for everything to install it, parts and labor..

mike905

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7L
When I had my 3.92 installed I called the dealer and they wanted twice as much for everything to install it, parts and labor..

How much did it end up costing you? and was it worth it?

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I don't want to thread jack but question...

I have a 2011 with 545rfe and 3.55 rear.

Should I consider 4.10 and what stall converter for daily street driving?

Currently have intake, exhaust and hf tune.

I've recently learned that my stock setup runs much better with tow/haul full time....truck is so much better all around and gained 1 mpg. That was a nice surprise. Would love to add better low end torque and launch.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Make sure that the DEALER gets you written warranty information on if they install it. The Manufacturer warranty can't be altered by the dealer. I've been down this road, I got ****** every way imaginable. Just because the dealer SAYS, and DOES the install, does NOT mean Chrysler will warranty it. I promise you, if you don't get it in writing, you will lose, guaranteed.

OP
OP
N

nforkram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I think I would be covered, here is the reply I received from Chrysler Warranties

Direct:rom: Chrysler Warranty Direct <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM
To: North Fork

Subject: Re: Chrysler Warranty Direct

Yes, as long as done by the dealership using Mopar parts!

From me to Chrysler Warranty Direct:

Could I have my Chrysler dealer upgrade my gear ratio and LSD as well at the same time?

OP
OP
N

nforkram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
HEMI 5.7

I will be getting the dealer quote and another shop quote (that I have used in the past)

The one thing I am saving on is parts, bought everything myself, still waiting on the dealership estimate, and who knows, they might say, can't use your parts, and if they won't, then I would have to use the other shop and cancel my factory extended warranty.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Weird, they didn't quote anything but ring and pinion for the front. Hopefully it doesn't turn in to a **** show when I take it in for the swap. I'm brand new to the Ram scene but I did figure 3.92 would make for an easier swap than 4.10 so I went with that. Better daily driving mpg as well. Anyways yeah what's so special about the front diff? Got more info on it?

Someone screwed up there. The front diff has some welds in it. I don't know all the technical details, but I do know that you can't replace the ring and pinion. You have to swap the entire differential with either an earlier unit (pre-2013 I think) and install the ring/pinion, or swap the front differential with a 2013+ 3.92 equipped unit (if going to 3.92 gears). If you want 4.10s, or some other gear not offered at the factory, only option for the front diff is to swap in an older differential without the welds. Then you can upgrade to whatever is available.

This entire expense/problem is the reason I found a truck with factory 3.92 gears and factory rear LSD. I tried going down this road once with an older truck, never again.

Trexterra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someone screwed up there. The front diff has some welds in it. I don't know all the technical details, but I do know that you can't replace the ring and pinion. You have to swap the entire differential with either an earlier unit (pre-2013 I think) and install the ring/pinion, or swap the front differential with a 2013+ 3.92 equipped unit (if going to 3.92 gears). If you want 4.10s, or some other gear not offered at the factory, only option for the front diff is to swap in an older differential without the welds. Then you can upgrade to whatever is available.

This entire expense/problem is the reason I found a truck with factory 3.92 gears and factory rear LSD. I tried going down this road once with an older truck, never again.
I'll ask em about it before they start cranking wrenches on Monday I guess.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think I would be covered, here is the reply I received from Chrysler Warranties

Direct:rom: Chrysler Warranty Direct <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:50 AM
To: North Fork

Subject: Re: Chrysler Warranty Direct

Yes, as long as done by the dealership using Mopar parts!

From me to Chrysler Warranty Direct:

Could I have my Chrysler dealer upgrade my gear ratio and LSD as well at the same time?

chrysler direct is a division of a car dealership. if you have a dealer change your gear ratio, with chrysler oem parts, you would not affect your warranty. if you are using aftermarket gears, you will have warranty issues.

OP
OP
N

nforkram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Dealer said they can do it. $1,500 for diffs and LSD and $625 to install adj Bilsteins. I guess that is not too bad, it could of been worse!

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Dealer said they can do it. $1,500 for diffs and LSD and $625 to install adj Bilsteins. I guess that is not too bad, it could of been worse!

Again, not to rain on your parade, but be prepared for a phone call: "Uh, the front is more complicated than we thought, the cost has now gone up." Sounds to me like they are basing the cost on the older front differential design.

However, if they will honor that even when they discover the front cannot be changed out and has to be entirely swapped, thats a heck of a bargain (at dealership rates). I've never had a dealership replace shocks before (only other garages or did it myself), cannot comment on that cost.