2014 2500 6.4 crank/no start and other electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy_harrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had my '14 6.4 since February and I'm at 2800 miles.
8 times I have bumped the key to start, the engine cranks for 10 seconds and doesn't start. It has always started on the second try, but not as well as when it starts on the first try. Most recently it said "Service Electronic Braking System" when it failed to start, but the message went away when it started. No check engine light.

Hooked to a little lawn mower trailer that had a marker lamp wire shorted out and I popped fuse "F29" the manual says fuse F29 is a 20a yellow cartridge fuse, but it a 20a blue cartridge of some kind, Smaller than a low profile cartridge. I pulled the trailer backup lamp fuse (f28) and installed it in the marker location (also miss identified in the manual as a yellow)

This new truck has 3 different styles of fuse, so when you are gathering spares you will need several

If anyone knows of a part number of even a name for the cartridge fuse, it would be greatly appreciated.
Tommy

HorseManAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Ram 2500
Have u checked the wiring harness connections under the driver side dash. Couple of big ones under there that are known to come loose or be partially plugged in. Read about it over on cummins forum. I'll try to find it.

OP
OP
T

tommy_harrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I check Cummins forum every few days, but haven't ran across this problem. Might need to start looking at the powertrain section.

Local Napa is still working on the fuse, pulled the 20a trailer reverse fuse to replace the 20a trailer marker

Tommy

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are talking about that tiny 20a fuse, The part number for my truck (2014 2500 CTD) is this:

20a MCASE FUSE 6820 2896 AA

Edit: I see you have a 2500 as well so that should be it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tommy_harrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Napa said they couldn't get them, O'Reilly had no clue. Dealer I purchased the truck didn't have any, so they pulled a fuse from a truck on the lot. Couldn't get them to turn lose of a spare.

Truck hasn't not started recently. Still looking for the harness thread on cf

Tommy

OP
OP
T

tommy_harrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was fully seated and latched. Hasn't done it for several days, must have out grown it