2014 clutch fan delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toeknee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just have some questions on this.
Do I need the v6 fan, 180 tstar, and if I remove the clutch fan may I still drive the truck while I wait for hemifever tune?
Thanx gentlemen

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would wait on the tune at the very least. The factory a/c condenser fan doesn't kick in unless the truck starts reaching overheating temps around 225-230F. Plus the viscous fan clutch isn't robbing you as much power as people believe.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I agree. Get the tuner on the truck first, and then install your tstat and remove the clutch fan.

Do you already have the tuner and are just waiting for custom tuning, or do you not have a tuner at all yet? If you have the tuner, you can set the fan temps yourself which would allow you to install the 180 stat and remove the clutch fan before getting your custom tuning.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would wait on the tune at the very least. The factory a/c condenser fan doesn't kick in unless the truck starts reaching overheating temps around 225-230F. Plus the viscous fan clutch isn't robbing you as much power as people believe.

Not true. The factory A/C fan will come on anytime you have the A/C running. You'll be fine to run it before the tune. I did for a while and never had any issues. I also live in Louisiana and run the A/C all the time though, so there's that to think about. Anyway, I did the clutch fan delete and 180 Tstat mod at the same time and didn't update my tune for about a week. In that week I did a few trips from Lake Charles to Alexandria and back, little over 100 miles each way. I got stuck in traffic, drove normally, it never went above 190 once I put the Tstat in.

OP
OP
T

Toeknee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank u gentlemen, I do have a custom tune already. Have yet to get the 180 tstat. How long of a job would the clutch fan delete be???

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not true. The factory A/C fan will come on anytime you have the A/C running. You'll be fine to run it before the tune. I did for a while and never had any issues. I also live in Louisiana and run the A/C all the time though, so there's that to think about. Anyway, I did the clutch fan delete and 180 Tstat mod at the same time and didn't update my tune for about a week. In that week I did a few trips from Lake Charles to Alexandria and back, little over 100 miles each way. I got stuck in traffic, drove normally, it never went above 190 once I put the Tstat in.

That's not something I would be willing to risk. I am also not entirely sure but I think the a/c fan is a 2speed fan. I can have the a/c on in my truck in 90F weather and sit in traffic blowing as cold as ice. The engine temps will get to 197 degrees and then magically the temps come down slowly, which is the exact time the a/c fan should come on without the a/c on. Could be coincidence, just that it happens everyday... Again I wouldn't do it without a tuner to be on the safe side. Everyone has different experiences with their trucks.

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank u gentlemen, I do have a custom tune already. Have yet to get the 180 tstat. How long of a job would the clutch fan delete be???

If the clutch fan isn't stuck, then it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes and that's being generous.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...I think the a/c fan is a 2speed fan...

I'm not 100% positive, but I think you are correct about this. Seems to me I vaguely remember hearing the fan speeding up if the temp got around 210. That being said, I still never overheated even before I had the fan temps changed in the tune.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not 100% positive, but I think you are correct about this. Seems to me I vaguely remember hearing the fan speeding up if the temp got around 210. That being said, I still never overheated even before I had the fan temps changed in the tune.

I wonder if anyone can confirm this? Hell your trucks cooling system maybe better than mine! I know Louisiana can get hot like Texas.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's 2 fan relays in the fuse box,a low speed and a high speed relay,with a noticeable difference in the fan speed,depending on which relay is powered up. You can also kick the fan in with-out the A/C being on,if you put the heater controls on defrost.

OP
OP
T

Toeknee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok gentlemen just received my 180ts, is it difficult to install as in do I need to flush the system or purchase some coolant for this job?
Thanks

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok gentlemen just received my 180ts, is it difficult to install as in do I need to flush the system or purchase some coolant for this job?
Thanks
You will need to pick up a gallon of coolant. No need to flush the system just to install. Make sure the truck is cool, you don't want boiling hot coolant shooting out at you.
Easiest thermostat I have ever changed. It's just the 2 bolts, pull the hose and swap them. The thermostat has an o ring on it, so no need to worry about gaskets or silicone. Bolt it back up and refill coolant.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Toeknee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome thank u sir, will any coolant do

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's special coolant. I was able to catch all the fluid in a clean drain pan and reuse.

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would use the factory original coolant. I know the 16s use the "OAT" coolant. I believe the 14s would be the same.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Toeknee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome thank u, can I find this at any auto parts store

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I would buy only Mopar branded OAT, to be 100% honest. The wrong coolant, even one that claims to be OAT, can really screw up your cooling system, and therefore, an engine.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I would buy only Mopar branded OAT, to be 100% honest. The wrong coolant, even one that claims to be OAT, can really screw up your cooling system, and therefore, an engine.

Good advise here. I have yet to find a aftermarket coolant that is mix compatible with the current OAT stuff from FCA. Only once that come close are complete flush and replacement with the aftermarket coolant but still then is not mix compatible with the factory OAT stuff.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good advise here. I have yet to find a aftermarket coolant that is mix compatible with the current OAT stuff from FCA. Only once that come close are complete flush and replacement with the aftermarket coolant but still then is not mix compatible with the factory OAT stuff.

Which is why when I changed my thermostat I simply flushed out ALL the OEM coolant and replaced it with some normal stuff. Makes it way easier if and when I have to add more.