2014 clutch fan delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have also been trying to remove the clutch fan from my truck with no luck. Took it to a shop and they tried to use a air hammer on it and it still won't come off. They said the only way to get it off now is to get a new water pump for it. Is it worth spending the money on a new water pump just to get the fan off??

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have also been trying to remove the clutch fan from my truck with no luck. Took it to a shop and they tried to use a air hammer on it and it still won't come off. They said the only way to get it off now is to get a new water pump for it. Is it worth spending the money on a new water pump just to get the fan off??

What year is your truck?

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea that is what I have read but mine is stuck on there good. I initially tried to get it off by using a hammer also but I was turning it counter clockwise if you are looking at the engine. The shop tried to get it off both using the air hammer spinning it clockwise and counter clockwise and still no luck.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea that is what I have read but mine is stuck on there good. I initially tried to get it off by using a hammer also but I was turning it counter clockwise if you are looking at the engine. The shop tried to get it off both using the air hammer spinning it clockwise and counter clockwise and still no luck.

Looking at the fan from the front of the truck it needs to be turned clockwise. You can do it.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i used a spanner wrench for a toyota to hold the water pump pulley and while facing motor clockwise with a wrench. i had the defective one out and new one in - in under 15 minutes...it was very easy. only bummer is that i have had 2 fan clutches in 12,000 miles. not worth going to dealer because i live way up in the mountains....hope they come up with a updated fan clutch someday.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

If you've had the engine up fairly high in the RPM band,the fan can be a real ***** to get loose. The fan as has been stated is left hand thread,so it'll consequently tighten itself on really good if you've ran the engine hard. The idea of the left hand thread is so if the fan ever does loosen up, (like that'll ever happen,lol),it'll self tighten. On my 14 the fan was a real bear to get loosened,cost me a case of beer to get a tech at the local dealership to whack the hell out of it with an air hammer,and we fought with it probably close to 1/2 an hour before we finally got it loose,both me and the tech did some cursing,lol. I swore if I was ever doing it again,i'd do it before I had the engine on the limiter a few times,as they get real tight after the engines been wound out a few times,lol