2014 Ram 1500 HF 91 shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7V8 with the 8 speed (3.92 rear). I have been running HF 89/91 octane rev B tune for a couple of weeks now (ran 91_race tune before that for over a month but shifts were too harsh for a daily driver) and I am starting to get a shudder in the transmission when it shifts from 2-3 and 3-4 under light acceleration. If I get after it then I don't feel the shudder but this is my daily driver and live in the city so can't get after it a lot without getting a ticket.....

I just reverted the truck back to stock and don't feel the shudder since the torque management is not altered like the HF tunes. I was told this was normal when torque management was reduced but I also don't want to screw up my transmission!

I have a service appointment schedules for this next Monday to get the transmission looked over and also check for updates to the software. The truck has always shifted slow from 2-3 than any other gear which drives me nuts! I am hoping there is a software update that will fix this.

Any help is much appreciated!!

OP
OP
West27

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took the truck into dodge and there was a software update for the transmission. Truck shifts great without the tune but still shudders at light throttle with the tune.

Has anyone else has issues with shifting using HF tune? I was told this was a common issue with HF tune but still not sure why my truck is doing it now after running 2+ months with the tune. Truck is a daily driver so I don't drive it hard.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
My initial HF tune had the Trans shifting firmer but a little too harsh for my liking. Issue was resolved with a follow up tune.

I'd suggest have the dealer do a quick learn & drive cycle. Or data log & email HF for a revised tune.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i would get with sean and get him to retune it or change tuners

tuned by Jay Greene

Last edited:
OP
OP
West27

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I emailed Sean and he sent me a 91 street tune which he says has stock tq management and also cuts timing during shifts so I will see how that one does. It just seems weird why it is shuddering now but never has before?

I also sent an email to Jay Greene and he said this wasn't good and potentially Sean is tuning these 8 speeds that diablo sport CMR told tuners not to do. I am also following up with diablo sport also so we shall see what they say.

My next option is going to be getting a tune from Jay but don't want to spent the $175 yet since I just got the custom tunes from Sean.

Does anyone know how Jays tune handles the 8 speed?

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I emailed Sean and he sent me a 91 street tune which he says has stock tq management and also cuts timing during shifts so I will see how that one does. It just seems weird why it is shuddering now but never has before?

I also sent an email to Jay Greene and he said this wasn't good and potentially Sean is tuning these 8 speeds that diablo sport CMR told tuners not to do. I am also following up with diablo sport also so we shall see what they say.

My next option is going to be getting a tune from Jay but don't want to spent the $175 yet since I just got the custom tunes from Sean.

Does anyone know how Jays tune handles the 8 speed?

I have Jay's tune. 2016 Ram R/T 8 speed. The trans shifts great. No shutter. I highly recommend him

OP
OP
West27

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I am about to the point to pull the trigger on a tune from Jay. I tried the DS 91 tune this morning and no issues at all shifting.

Are you running a street tune from Jay and then have a race tune for the weekends if you take it to the strip?

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I don't know if my issue is the same but I'm having shifting issues as well with HF tune. I have a 2011 with the 5 speed 545rfe. Under light acceleration from 2-3 and 3-4 the throttle bounces like it doesn't know it should shift, or can't decide. Step on it a little firmer and it's fine.

Stock tune doesn't do it and canned tune I'm running now doesnt do it.

To Seans credit, he's been very responsive in trying to resolve but 3 times now and no change.

Some people have zero issues...who knows.

Thinking of trying someone else, just done want to put out more $$$ on this right now. Truck runs great and not like I'm trying to shave a few secs off my work commute... lol

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I am about to the point to pull the trigger on a tune from Jay. I tried the DS 91 tune this morning and no issues at all shifting.

Are you running a street tune from Jay and then have a race tune for the weekends if you take it to the strip?

Yea I have a street tune & a track tune.

OP
OP
West27

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if my issue is the same but I'm having shifting issues as well with HF tune. I have a 2011 with the 5 speed 545rfe. Under light acceleration from 2-3 and 3-4 the throttle bounces like it doesn't know it should shift, or can't decide. Step on it a little firmer and it's fine.

Stock tune doesn't do it and canned tune I'm running now doesnt do it.

To Seans credit, he's been very responsive in trying to resolve but 3 times now and no change.

Some people have zero issues...who knows.

Thinking of trying someone else, just done want to put out more $$$ on this right now. Truck runs great and not like I'm trying to shave a few secs off my work commute... lol

Yes that is a very similar issue I am having. I have been in contact with Sean and he has been great to work with but his tunes for some reason gives me that shudder and both stock and DS canned tunes does not. I am trying to get in contact with Diablosport to see if I can reset my i2 in maybe somehow it is corrupting the tunes.

I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes that is a very similar issue I am having. I have been in contact with Sean and he has been great to work with but his tunes for some reason gives me that shudder and both stock and DS canned tunes does not. I am trying to get in contact with Diablosport to see if I can reset my i2 in maybe somehow it is corrupting the tunes.

I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the feedback!!!

I dont think anything is corrupting several peoples tunes w/ the same issue. Look at the common denominator & go from there...

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same thing. 2009 1500 4wd 5.7 with 220k on it. HF tune does it but stock or canned tune does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
West27

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same thing. 2009 1500 4wd 5.7 with 220k on it. HF tune does it but stock or canned tune does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yicks. It is looking like a HF issue.........

RamonaRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Jay's tune. 2016 Ram R/T 8 speed. The trans shifts great. No shutter. I highly recommend him

X2. I have the same truck same tuner and have no complaints. Trucks runs great and shifts great. Very satisfied with jays tunes.

OP
OP
West27

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will I really gain much getting a tune from Jay over just using the DS 91 tune? Currently the DS 91 is shifting great and also running good. Running a 0-60 this morning was 6 seconds looking at the datalog. Best I got with the HF 91_race was 5.9 seconds so I am not far off just using the can tune. Any thoughts? I see guys posting low 5 seconds 0-60 but don't think that is possible with my heavy truck.

2014 ram 1500 CC, 3.92 with 8 speed, 6.4' box, 32 gallon tank

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes. its like night and day difference

tuned by Jay Greene

X2. Jay's tune was a HUGE difference over the canned Diablo tune. The truck is much faster, peppier than it was on the canned tune & shifts perfect

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Just thought I'd pipe up and say I run the 89/91 octane (rev B) tunes from Sean, and I do not have any shuddering.