2014 ram 2500 6.4 7000 miles new torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rb40racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Went on a 1500 mile trip from idaho to montana and c.e.l light came on. Scaned it had a p0740 torque converter malfunction! Droped it off at the dealer i bought the p.u. From yesterday, they called me today and are pulling the trans and putting a new torque converter in it. Anyone else had ths prob???

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nope...I didn't have that problem.

My issue resulted in a brand new 6.4L after only 923 total miles!

Sounds like your transmission assembler didn't get the torque converter totally seated.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What part failed with less then 1000 miles?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What a waste, dang.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Oh, it's OK...I got a new engine that runs much better than the old one did. :)

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope...I didn't have that problem.

My issue resulted in a brand new 6.4L after only 923 total miles!

Sounds like your transmission assembler didn't get the torque converter totally seated.

If they didnt seat the converter fully, the truck would have never made it onto a lot. They leak if theyre not seated, and thats if you can get the bellhousing together.

A p0740 is a torque converter lockup code, meaning something is wrong with the torque converter's lockup clutch. Sometimes this is an issue with the actual TC itself, meaning problem with the clutch. Sometimes its a problem with the hydraulic circuit in the transmission that controls the clutch. In this case it sounds like the former.

OP- even if nobody else has experienced this problem, that doesnt mean its not a common issue. TC's are a complex part, and require very specific tolerances when assembled, and sometimes the manufacturer doesnt quite get all of them to spec and one slips into production. Dodge doesnt make the part, meaning their vendor for that particular part is to blame. Hope you get it back soon, make them give you a rental for your trouble.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
ahhh...good info. Yeah, I guess it would leak but if the pump was only partially engaged by not having the TC lock fully into place, would the trans still leak?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If they didnt seat the converter fully, the truck would have never made it onto a lot. They leak if theyre not seated, and thats if you can get the bellhousing together.

A p0740 is a torque converter lockup code, meaning something is wrong with the torque converter's lockup clutch. Sometimes this is an issue with the actual TC itself, meaning problem with the clutch. Sometimes its a problem with the hydraulic circuit in the transmission that controls the clutch. In this case it sounds like the former.

OP- even if nobody else has experienced this problem, that doesnt mean its not a common issue. TC's are a complex part, and require very specific tolerances when assembled, and sometimes the manufacturer doesnt quite get all of them to spec and one slips into production. Dodge doesnt make the part, meaning their vendor for that particular part is to blame. Hope you get it back soon, make them give you a rental for your trouble.

I agree, and if the tq converter wastent seated it would do damage to the front pump. Also from time to time a part will just up and fail that's why they have warrantys. I had a Trans rebuilt once brand new converter all new clutches 1 new gear set (transmission guy is a buddy) and less than 2k miles later the converter let go and it actually shelled the hole Trans again all I had left was 2nd he took it back apart and took the converter to his converter guy and they cut it open and all the everything came apart on the inside.

Last edited:

RamTanker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2004
Engine
5.9 Cummins, 5.7 Hemi
man that sucks! at least its all covered under warrenty

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ahhh...good info. Yeah, I guess it would leak but if the pump was only partially engaged by not having the TC lock fully into place, would the trans still leak?

It's not really possible to do that. There are tabs on the output shaft of the converter, and those tabs fit into notches in the front pump of the transmission. If you dont seat the converter all the way into those notches, it will cause damage. You can partially seat a converter, by sticking it in the hole but not actually seating the tabs into the notches. This usually results in you not being able to get the transmission to mate with the engine. If by some miracle you do get it in, you will be greeted by a terrible grinding noise most of the time once you start the engine. Also, without those tabs inserted, the converter doesnt really work, so you never really get proper operation of the transmission. There is no way it would ever make it off the production line/shop if that happened.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Got ya.

So basically there's no way to partially seat the TC have the vehicle would move off the assembly line or even to get the engine/trans to mate up properly.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Correct. It's a very tight space, and if its not fully seated then usually you wont get them to mate without forcing them.

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
Flagged this code today for the second time. Dropping off at dealership Friday. 21,900 miles on truck so its still under warranty. Since day one the truck has always had a slight "hesitation"( for lack of better terms) while shifting but never was undriveable.

BigChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Flagged this code today for the second time. Dropping off at dealership Friday. 21,900 miles on truck so its still under warranty. Since day one the truck has always had a slight "hesitation"( for lack of better terms) while shifting but never was undriveable.
I have some limited experience with transmissions so please bear with me, that hesitation you describe could be a symptom of a broken stator. If you had the power you were expecting come on all at once after a hesitation then that might be your lock up clutch engaging.

I have no idea what the stator/turbine relationship is like in the Ram transmissions but I have to assume it is just like the Allisons I have been around.

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
Idk alot about transmissions either, just basics. My #1 concern is that they will fight me on any warranty coverage bc of the tire size, going from the factory 33.18" to a 35" tire. Not a huge difference, especially not enough to damage the TC. Plus the fact that the first time this happened I was rolling in stock tires. Always see to occur right after I use the tow/haul mode, and thats only a small utility trailer with ATVs on it. Needless to say I'm nervous about what stance they take.

SlightlyTweaked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI VVT
Spoke with dealership today after leaving truck with them while I was away on vacation for a week. They covered everything under warranty and replaced the valve body ( that's what I was told over phone) in transmission. I will be picking it up on Monday. I'll post a better detailed answer as to what was wrong and replaced of need be.