2014 Ram 2500 Fuel Filter(s) Lifespan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kite813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have a question about the lifespan(s) of the fuel filters in a 2014 Ram 2500. I bought the truck (Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn) used with 23,000 miles on it and the fuel filters had 36% left on them. I don't recall the miles and gallons that had passed thru them but I think it was aiming for 12-15K miles when they were coming due for a change. That seemed totally reasonable.

I had them replaced at 15% and used Mopar parts. My driving is about 65% highway, 30% city and 5% pulling a 2 horse trailer. Since the change I have driven about 5600 miles and I am already down to only 20% life left :confused: on the filters.

I am sure that the counter was reset when the new filters went in and I was expecting them to last 12-15K miles, but it's looking like I will be changing them again at less than 7K. Did I get into some dirty fuel? Or are they "deteriorated" based on miles driven, or what? I will do whatever the truck needs but this frequency of change for the fuel filters surprised me.

Please share any ideas or information. Thanks in advance!

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My dealer says not to worry with the % counter, its a reminder, but that's all its good for.
Ram recommends every 15k miles, anything over that my dealer states they start seeing problems, and they recommend to always change both fuel filters.
When the dealer replaced my filters they did not reset the counter, just saying.