2014 RAM 2500 Not Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivan.m.pour

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2500 (5.7 Hemi) has not been starting intermittently. I've had the battery alternator and starter checked and they are fine. Anyone here have any idea what it could be?

I have a tail light connector that has recently come loose - could that be related?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it crank and just not start or not even crank?
I had this issue with my work truck where it will crank and crank and never start- turned out to be the "relay fuse" for the starter- now I have a spare in the glove box for the truck- you could check all the fuses and make sure they are all snug- my work truck that did this wouldn't do it all the time- but after the 3rd time is when I started playing with fuses and it seem that that fuse worked it's self loose and pulling it and shoving it back in did the trick- I just replaced it though to be safe

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Does it crank and just not start or not even crank?

Yeah, without knowing some more details it's pretty tough to say. I'm always suspicious of something electronic with these modern "marvels." I know my 2014 has had some quirks from time to time with the ignition and key - things like not being able to move the gear selector from park, a couple random messages on the DIC.

Since you've ruled out all the basic mechanical things I'd bet on something "high-tech."

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going to go out on a limb here...battery.

It may check out ok...but still be the issue. Is it the original battery? If it is...I'd put money that its the battery. Just my initial thought reading your post.

If its a recent new battery then probably not...just thinking out loud.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need to know if it is cranking or not

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it is cranking or not makes a big difference. If it is cranking, there are many possibilities: cam/crank sensor, fuel pump, security, etc... If it is cranking and not starting, the ASD (Automatic shut-down) relay is the cheapest thing to try (it is a problem, I wouldn't say common, but I have seen it many times). If you are not familiar with how to do an electrical test on it, then you can just buy a new one. You can also swap another relay in place, but some of these you cannot; the relay is difference.