2014 ram died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Deader than dead. Pulled up on the highway and the throttle quit responding. I looked down in time to catch battery saver mode. Truck would not restart. Would crank and crank but would not fire. Had it towed to the dealership. They pulled several codes that had been stored. They've had it since Tuesday and can't get anything to respond. I bought an extended warranty but I put a tune on it so I'm a little worried about it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you pull the tune before you had it towed???

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Did you pull the tune before you had it towed???

Probably he couldn't pull the tune bc the truck was dead. Yikes, that's not good. I hope they don't make an issue out of the tune. Good luck

OP
OP
D

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could not pull the tune. The truck was 1 mile from the dealership. Tuner at home. No other way to get around.

Jayc057

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could not pull the tune. The truck was 1 mile from the dealership. Tuner at home. No other way to get around.

Oh man hope everything turns out okay and they take care of you.

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ugh. That sucks. I was always concerned about my 300 with a tune. As the car started to give me problems, I decided to put the car back to stock and never loaded the tune again just for the fear of what you are going through. I had a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on the 300 and I didn't want a tune to mess that up. You'll have to tell them there's a tune so they don't flash before you can put back to stock, or then you'll really have problems. Good luck.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did the same thing when the battery went bad. A new battery and it was up and running. The truck would not run with the bad battery. A cell went bad and the truck refused to run with it. I have a portable jump box, I disconnected the battery, and drove it to a safe place. Even running on the jump box, I could reconnect the battery and remove the jump box it would immediately die.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Mine did the same thing when the battery went bad. A new battery and it was up and running. The truck would not run with the bad battery. A cell went bad and the truck refused to run with it. I have a portable jump box, I disconnected the battery, and drove it to a safe place. Even running on the jump box, I could reconnect the battery and remove the jump box it would immediately die.

This is accurate. My 1997 ram 2500 did this once. It would crank decent, lights, horn all worked. But it would not fire and run. Bad battery.

Today's vehicles are very sensitive to battery voltage. Hopefully that's all it is

OP
OP
D

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck has given me no issue whatsoever in the three years I've had it. It was hot the day it died. It is the original battery. The only other notable thing would be I jump started someone over last weekend, but that was almost 1,000 miles ago. Truck has 51,000 on it. With it still having a tune in it, they'll flash over it if they have to and then I'll have to send in the i2 to have it unlocked/married right?

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck has given me no issue whatsoever in the three years I've had it. It was hot the day it died. It is the original battery. The only other notable thing would be I jump started someone over last weekend, but that was almost 1,000 miles ago. Truck has 51,000 on it. With it still having a tune in it, they'll flash over it if they have to and then I'll have to send in the i2 to have it unlocked/married right?

Yea if they flash over the tune you will have to have the i2 unlocked but they can do it over the phone in a few minutes. I think they charge $150 to unlock it but I've heard sometimes they will hook you up for free. Guess it all depends who you talk to.

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 1500 is just over 3 years old and the battery died in my driveway. I kind of knew to expect it but it just was dead one day. It showed absolutely no signs of the battery on its way out? I have never had this happen before. When I had it tested they said it had 7 CCA , yes I said 7! Kind of freaks me out because sometimes I am in no man's land during hunting season. Would really like some kind of sign to tell me to go get a new one before a big trip.

bdcramer1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Mine got flashed over, and I contacted them via email. They unlocked it free of charge. Great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CTD

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suggest to all who tune ur truck- keep the tuner in the truck for this exact reason. Can save ya some head ache and money. Keep us posted

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Mine got flashed over, and I contacted them via email. They unlocked it free of charge. Great customer service.

Yup, as long as you have a receipt from the dealership to prove they flashed over top of you, most (if not all) aftermarket tuner companies will unlock it for you. I know Diablo does.

I suggest to all who tune ur truck- keep the tuner in the truck for this exact reason. Can save ya some head ache and money. Keep us posted

Yup, I keep mine in the truck for the same reason. Never know when you're going to have to change it, or read a trouble code.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I wish ya the best!
I hope it is only a totally dead battery!

If not I would prepare for the worst news especially since the tune is still on.

I made a point to not jump start anyone any longer with my new Ram! To many expensive electronics!
I carry a jump & carry starter! During the winter months.

Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_zwZtzbC46PS2C

Good Luck Dean!

Last edited:

THE HEMI MAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This here is scaring me i have about 53k on 14 with plans to drive to Orlando from DC at the end of July should i just go head and change the battery?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a huge fan of the " battery tenders" with the "quick connect/ disconnect " kit - take a night and plug the truck in and let it top off - typically do this every few months.

Reactions: SyN

UPNO4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie , 2023 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8spd, 6.7 CTD
Mine is over 4 years with the original battery

Yeah have done the top off every now and then thing on other vehicles but not this one. I do that more when on my Gel cell batteries.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I bought 2 of these 3 years ago!
One for me & one for my son @ college.

I test all my batteries every 6 months!
This little $12 device has not let me down yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited: