2014 Ram hill start assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Golden cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So something has changed today with the Hill start assist on my 2014 ram 1500. In the past if I was on an incline the brakes would hold just long enough for me to transition my foot from the brake pedal to the gas. But as of this afternoon it is activating every time I stop even on completely flat ground. Has anyone had an experience like this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you or someone else shut the option off in your uconnect settings?

OP
OP
Golden cobra

Golden cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No it is still turned on but it's as if it thinks that I am always on a hill even when I'm on flat ground

tzr916

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 QC SLT 6'4"
Engine
5.7L 8spd 2WD
I'm wondering if I have this issue as well?

Yes, I currently have hill assist enabled.
No, I am not driving in the hills, just flat ground.

I just purchased my 2014 Ram 1500 SLT with 94kmi, so I don't know if it's supposed to feel like this or not... I test drove the truck at the dealer and didn't notice anything.

Now that I have driven it around town for a few days, I often feel something strange at stop lights - When taking my foot off the brake pedal, and before I press the gas, it's sort of like the front brakes are releasing but the rears don't release until a half second later. And I feel a sort of stutter in the drive train when I take off slowly.

I am worried it's a u-joint or drive line or transmission issue. But so far I ONLY feel this at stop lights when easing into the gas slowly.

I felt it very strong going to the local dump when I had the bed loaded with junk.

Guess I'm going to disable hill assist for a few days and test if I still get the same issue. I've got 30 days/1kmi warranty from the dealer (but they are NOT a Dodge dealer).

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No it is still turned on but it's as if it thinks that I am always on a hill even when I'm on flat ground

That sounds like the sensor that detects the tilt angle is bad, or perhaps just loose. Anyone know where it is? I have the system on my '14 as well, but I turned it off after about a week as just downright annoying.

-K

OP
OP
Golden cobra

Golden cobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That sounds like the sensor that detects the tilt angle is bad, or perhaps just loose. Anyone know where it is? I have the system on my '14 as well, but I turned it off after about a week as just downright annoying.

-K
Sorry I never updated what I figured out, it had to do with the Diablo tune on my truck. I was installing the tune in my driveway on a slope and somehow that was causing hill assist to be on all the time, I removed the tune, parked on flat ground then reinstalled it and it fixed everything.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I cant believe the crap they stick on these trucks, hill assistance ?

Wish I could order a truck that the only computer on it ran the fuel injection, I freaken hate all the other crap thats not needed..

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sorry I never updated what I figured out, it had to do with the Diablo tune on my truck. I was installing the tune in my driveway on a slope and somehow that was causing hill assist to be on all the time, I removed the tune, parked on flat ground then reinstalled it and it fixed everything.

Sounds like the sensor was getting calibrated during the tune flash and since the truck was on a slope...

-K

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I cant believe the crap they stick on these trucks, hill assistance ?

Works great for launching/retrieving a boat. No need to "two foot" the brake and gas on the ramp, especially since these trucks sometimes don't like it when you do.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Never have had a problem launching a boat in the 25yrs of having one. :)
JMO its just more stuff thats not needed and more stuff to break.
Reading on here its almost always the high-tech stuff that causes problems and the stuff thats not needed .

Not just arguing just stating my thoughts on it. :)