2014 ram intake or cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shredwardc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hey all,

just bought a ram 1500 in october. 4th dodge truck to date. although this ram 1500 outdoorsman hemi 4x4 is my first "brand" new truck.

i know this subject has been beaten to death over 1000 times, but i would love to hear your inputs the best intake/tuner combo. best bank for buck power upgrades. i have already upgraded my exhaust to mufflex single in single out 18 inch muffler. i was looking online for the best CAI i could buy to compliment the exhuast. or whatever throttle body from moe's will work the best for me. i'm pretty sure i have a good idea, but whatever you guys have to say is amazing input.

ps i'm drunk as **** right now.....'

nightrunner066

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 8 Speed
I have the Diablo Intune with a custom tune and i love it.

As far as intake, the stock intake flows pretty well and I will just get a dry drop in filter. I decided to stay with the stock intake because I didnt want the extra noise.

Otherwise it seems as though people are happy with the Vararam.

I also have a Mopar CAI if you're interested.....I am also from WI

BogsRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like my S&B but the Vararam is a great choice also. Stick with one of those two you will be happy. Tune I would go with Diablo trinity or intune.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Ready to be slapped with some knowledge? Haha ☺

I have a Diablo Trinity t 1000 with a hemifever tune set on 91 octane. Big difference over stock!

Next I have a S&B CAI (oiled filter) and an MBRP exhaust. More air in, more air out! The CAI makes the exhaust sound a good bit louder! However the CAI is a supporting mod. I wouldn't do it unless you're going to do the exhaust and a tuner.

You'll also want an oil catch can.

These 3 will make a nice difference in power and will even boost your mpg. Not enough to ever pay for themselves, but the "smiles per gallon" will definitely make it worth it!

I can get my Crew cab on 35's up to 60 mph in only 6.34 seconds with these mods! 8 speed hemi, 3.92 gears 4x4

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as intake, I just added an oiled Green Performance filter and did the stock intake mod. I also have a 14" Mufflex exhaust. I don't plan on doing a tune, though I would like to. I'm just not comfortable with the possibility of getting any part of my warranty voided because of a tune. I know that a dealership has to prove it caused an issue, but the risks are higher with a tune....not the risk I want to take.

OP
OP
S

shredwardc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thanks for all the input fellas.

for now with the money i have to spend, (saved about 700 from NOT being put under to get my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday) i was wanting to get the S&B intake with the 87mm TB on moes website. I already have a mufflex exhaust with a resonator delete, as well a K&N drop in filter. will it be worth it to add those 2 mods right now without a tuner? should i just go with one or the other? or should i wait to install them until i get a tuner?

i would like to stay away from a tuner for now, seems as if people have warranty problems with them. decisions, decisions...

coleflo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks for all the input fellas.

for now with the money i have to spend, (saved about 700 from NOT being put under to get my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday) i was wanting to get the S&B intake with the 87mm TB on moes website. I already have a mufflex exhaust with a resonator delete, as well a K&N drop in filter. will it be worth it to add those 2 mods right now without a tuner? should i just go with one or the other? or should i wait to install them until i get a tuner?

i would like to stay away from a tuner for now, seems as if people have warranty problems with them. decisions, decisions...

I've seen a lot of people on the forums with warranty concerns when deciding on whether or not to tune, but havent seen anybody really have any warranty "problems" with one.

Not saying there aren't any, and I'm one of those with concerns too, but I see a lot of worry but not much in the way of any real issues to substantiate the worry.

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
Trinity is the tuner of choice on this thread but the bully dog is legit if you don't plan on modding the hell out of your performance parts. Vararam and s&b are the best filters by reviews in this thread. And ps. Drunk as hell too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Islander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summins 6.7
Superchips here with S&B air intake

2010 Ram 2500 Cummins 4.10s

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 True Blue Pearl Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
VARARAM and DIABLO!!!

I went from an S&B to the Vararam Air Grabber and noticed a tremendous difference over stock and a small difference (better) from the S&B to the Vararam.

While I had the S&B on this particular hill (pretty steep) every day the truck would downshift in the same spot to maintain speed. When I went to the VR no more downshifting, just smooth acceleration. This is with a lift and 35's.

Get it from Moes for quick excellent service.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen a lot of people on the forums with warranty concerns when deciding on whether or not to tune, but havent seen anybody really have any warranty "problems" with one.

Not saying there aren't any, and I'm one of those with concerns too, but I see a lot of worry but not much in the way of any real issues to substantiate the worry.

Honestly, on the RAM forums i haven't see much in warranty issues with tuners, but when i had F150 trucks, i would see threads on warranty denials blamed on tuners often. Obviously there was A LOT more activity on the F150 forums than our RAM forums.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I did a Gibson cat back on mine and a std K&N drop in filter and got a sizable increase in felt power. I am having a 3.92 posi put in this week and then I will get a tuner.
I wouldn't spend any money on a CAI the stock dodge setup is a CAI and I can't imagine the stock engine with just an exhaust system upgrade needs anything but that with a good air filter.

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Vararam and the Diablo with Jay Greene's custom tune. Also have 87mm TB and true duals on my 14 Sport

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my biggest worry is the tuner, not even with the warranty, but i lived in the world of 6.0 powerstrokes, and tuners mean blown heads and repairs...

What does this tuner do and will it hurt the engine and tranny, and if i install it can the dealer find out if i restore it to default?

Also is there a certain diablo tuner to buy?