2015 EcoDiesel Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie
Engine
My 2015 EcoDiesel has been a total disaster. I have had it for less than 2 weeks with less than 825 miles. It has been towed to the dealer twice with total system shutdowns. Both times I have been stranded by the side of the road in sub 10 degree weather. First the alternator was replaced but I barely got it home and it shut down again. This time they replaced a computer component but they still cannot get it running. The local dealer is trying hard, but I can't say that Chrysler has been very helpful. At the moment I own a $55k lawn ornament.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sorry bro.. we are the Guinness pigs for 1st gen issues.. this is why it is always a good idea to wait a year or two.. that sucks.. best of luck

OP
OP
M

mrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie
Engine
Thanks- that's why I waited for a 2015 rather than buying a 2014. Maybe I should have waited til 2016.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
Damn what a let down. I had a ton of confidence in that little diesel. I am sure Chrysler will make it make. They should at least.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A couple problems with one truck doesn't mean the ecodiesel is a dud. Things break but it is a bummer it has happened so soon. What did they replace after the alternator? Both times it has gone to the shop, has it been the same problem?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of guys running those little diesels and love them already. Be persistent and you'll get it fixed. Sucks to go thru it though. Talk to your salesperson and let them know about it. Sometimes they can get stuff done for you. Hopefully they'll find the problem and it will become your favorite truck soon.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Write on rams Facebook page. I always found that made things happen when I had a paint issue on my 2011

SaskHunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I have a 2014 ED with 11,000 Kms on it so far since sept 1, 2014 - mine has been flawless in operation and every aspect of mechanical reliability...lets see if it keeps it up....

SaskHunter
99.5% Bowhunter

OP
OP
M

mrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie
Engine
Both times it was a total shutdown-not even emergency flasher. First time they replaced the alternator, second time they replaced a computer module, but still can't keep it running. Of the 11 days I have owned it, it has been in the shop for 6. It doesn't mean all of the EcoDiesels are bad, but this one certainly is. I started the official process with Chrysler Customer service today to possibly get a replacement. It is their chance to do the right thing.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they should swap it out if it's been that bad and not even owned for 2 weeks. i'd ask the dealer, you should be able to just lemon law it

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they should swap it out if it's been that bad and not even owned for 2 weeks. i'd ask the dealer, you should be able to just lemon law it
This is my thinking. Unless you are crazy upside down in the rig, make them trade you out if they can't fix it. Everyone alway says "contact chrysler!" But in my experience that usually doesn't do a whole lot of good. There isn't anyone from chrysler there working on your truck

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They won't swap it out, trading it in will give you a financial beating because the only way you aren't upside down in it is because of your downpayment/trade which you will lose, and lemon law will take a lot of persistence, time, visits, and most likely an attorney to file for it.
It's a good truck that is having a problem. They just haven't found it yet.
It could be a pinched wiring harness somewhere messing up a ground, etc.
I'd just be calm and persistent and demand they make it right.
Make sure you get a receipt for every visit the truck makes to the dealer and start a file.
If it drags on, then contact an attorney.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They won't swap it out, trading it in will give you a financial beating because the only way you aren't upside down in it is because of your downpayment/trade which you will lose, and lemon law will take a lot of persistence, time, visits, and most likely an attorney to file for it.
Make sure you get a receipt for every visit the truck makes to the dealer and start a file.
Why won't they swap it with another if they sold the guy a truck that they can't fix?

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

I swear I read something here about another 2014 owner (hemi though), having similar issues and it turned out to be something like that. He kept at it and now its an official TSB I believe..thanks to a tech at that dealership.

Can't find the damn thread.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
This is my thinking. Unless you are crazy upside down in the rig, make them trade you out if they can't fix it. Everyone alway says "contact chrysler!" But in my experience that usually doesn't do a whole lot of good. There isn't anyone from chrysler there working on your truck
The reason you contact Chrysler is to get a case number, and to get on record. It does apply some pressure on them and the dealer to get serious about a repair, and it lays the foundation for lemon law proceedings, if it gets that far. I have been down that road multiple times with Ford and GM. It is a necessary step.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The reason you contact Chrysler is to get a case number, and to get on record. It does apply some pressure on them and the dealer to get serious about a repair, and it lays the foundation for lemon law proceedings, if it gets that far. I have been down that road multiple times with Ford and GM. It is a necessary step.
You have had multiple vehicles lemon lawed?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you at least have a service loaner in the meantime, or what are you driving?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why won't they swap it with another if they sold the guy a truck that they can't fix?

Because its not part of the sales contract. The warrantee is, and that's what they'll follow. They already registered the truck and it is no longer a new truck. The dealer isn't going to eat it, it will be up to Chrysler and they will follow their warrantee procedures.