2015 magnaflow 14 issues PLZ HELP GUYS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Greene Custom Tune Installed

Had a chance to run my truck some last night after work. My impression of the tune is very positive. Throttle response is improved, the transmission shifts are smooth and responsive. The truck pulls strong through out the power band of 6300 rpms, mid and top end power has increased as well as low end torque. I sent him another data log with the tune installed so he can see what's going on, maybe he can do a little tweaking and squeeze a little more out of it. I am very impressed with the tune.

Chase361

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500 crew cab, Laramie
Engine
HEMI
Hey so went to a well known muffler shop here in Phx, AZ. They had me listen to the 14 and the 18 gut told me 18 but ears told me 14, so did the 14. This was just a muffler swap. So I love it. HOWEVER when I'm on the freeway going 64-73 MPH it makes that noise that you get when your roll down one window and its like this wind ultrasonic thumping noise. Its on beat with the muffler but it does this with all windows sunroof and rear window closed. Its so annoying! Its not crazy loud like when you have one window down but loud enough to not be able to concentrate on music. Has anyone experienced this before? I've never done exhaust on a truck before maybe this is normal and I just fed up and should have gotten the 18. ANY RESPONSE IS WELCOMED.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably the MDS (cylinders deactivation) kicking in and causing this drone, if you have the 8 speed press on the -gear button to engage manual mode and select 8 and see if it happen again. When in "manual" set to 8 the transmission will basically work the same but MDS will not kick in.

18 would have been almost as bad.

Chase361

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
yes I do get it when the green Eco light come on so this is MDS I'm assuming.

Chase361

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
oh ok Dam so there is no way to stop this only thing is to not use MDS. Getting the 18 I'd still have the same issue?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
oh ok Dam so there is no way to stop this only thing is to not use MDS. Getting the 18 I'd still have the same issue?

ECO on doesn't equal MDS on. ECO just mean that your driving in an economical way, but if it's on, there's a good chance that MDS kick in since the load on the engine is minimal.

You can get rid of it by switching to manual mode or getting a tuner (1000$ since you also need a unlocked ECU).

It would be almost as bad with the 18.

Chase361

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
So I'm wanting to do a CAI. I really want to do the tuner cause everyone on here is saying it really makes our truck something special. I'm just having an issue with the 1K price tag.

Also I travel 40 miles one way to work so 80 miles everyday and 95% of it is freeway. If turn off MDS will that do big damage to my weekly gas bill?

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I don't see how this is the MDS. Mine does not make the sound he his describing at those speeds and I have a flowmaster. I just hear my exhaust. lol

Chase361

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Thats what I was thinking. I called the muffler shop and they said to try what BASSHEADHEMI advised about make it go to manual and turning off MDS. I get off work in a couple hours and Ill see if that fixes it.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats what I was thinking. I called the muffler shop and they said to try what BASSHEADHEMI advised about make it go to manual and turning off MDS. I get off work in a couple hours and Ill see if that fixes it.

I'm curious, was it the MDS?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm curious, was it the MDS?
Multi Displacement System , I think ?

Basically 4ea cylinders turn off when 8 cylinders are not required for the load .

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Multi Displacement System , I think ?

Basically 4ea cylinders turn off when 8 cylinders are not required for the load .
Hehe I was asking if the op problem was the mds after testing disabling it with manual shift

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see how this is the MDS. Mine does not make the sound he his describing at those speeds and I have a flowmaster. I just hear my exhaust. lol

Same here. I have the 14" Magnaflow and when my MDS kicks in on the interstate it's barely noticeable.

Fatguytony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 3 inch straight pipes on my 16 rt ram and it sounds like a helicopter landing in the bed when eco mode is on. Its horrible. I just drice in manual mode lol.