2015 Oil Filter Leaking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
12,000 miles on the 2015

Noticed today a couple puddles of oil in the driveway. Crawled under the truck and saw the oil filter and cross member covered in oil. Check level - still in the middle of the safe area. Reach up and could turn the RP (10-48) filter about 1/4". I'm hoping that is the issue.

I've changed the oil 2 times now. Had PYB in it until about 6,000 miles and now Penn Ultra. Used a Napa filter during the PYB and now a RP...no prior issues. Not sure what to do...I do my own changes and checked for the gasket on the truck/Napa filter before installing the RP.

I do have a BT oil CC installed, AEM air filter, and new magnaflow muffler just installed on Wednesday. I don't think any of the above would have done this, but who knows.

Any thoughts? I did talked to another forum member and searched other threads (2013 issues and faulty Mopar filters) but just wondering if anyone else if having any similar issues with RP filters.

Thanks!

Before I wiped it off...
picture.php

Another angle of before...
picture.php

After wipe off...
picture.php

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
you're supposed to hand tighten oil filter. To me that means as tight as you can get it by hand. I have never had an oil filter leak on me, and I've probably changed 500 of them. Oh yeah, I always dampen the new gasket with fresh oil, before I install new filter.

You caught it before any damage was done. Just a little oil mess to wipe up. Chalk it up to a good learning experience and move on.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You didn't mess up. There was an issue on these trucks that had something to do with the amount of threads for the oil filter. Mine has the same issue. I just have a filter socket that goes on my ratchet and I put it pretty snug, no leaks since.

Reactions: SyN

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just like the others have stated above.

Get the filter snug by hand--->then by hand take the filter another 3/4 of a turn.

You will need a filter wrench to remove , but there will be no leaks.

I'm sure you know all this but these are easy things to forget.
Just make sure to Always check to see if old filter still has the gasket in tact. As well as apply some new oil to the new gasket before install of new filter. I myself Always fill the new filter around 3/4 full before I install.

Sometimes owners get in a rush and forgets these few simple things.

Very easy fix!

Last edited: