2015 Oil filter leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Ok, back in August I had an issue with an oil filter leaking from oil change I did about a month or two before (yes I checked to be sure old gasket was gone before installing new filter) I used a RP 10-48 and it came loose a bit. With help of the forum, others informed me maybe I didn't completely tighten. So I tighten it more by hand and life went on without any more leaks.

I had the dealer change the next oil change (about 3k ago) and they put a mopar on and within a month I put a RP back on since I had Ultra in the motor and didn't want to change it within 3k. Today I realize I am only 1/4" on dip stick from being too low (I know it was full because the dealer slightly overfilled it and I drain a bit). So I check the air filter no oil in it and crawl under to only find the oil filter is AGAIN loose with some oil on black plastic electronic piece under filter. I tighten the filter back.

Now what to do - I'll probably put the mopar filter back on and see if it leaks...sounds crazy but I haven't had any filter on long enough except the RP and they seem to leak.

I know there is a known issue with oil filter leaking on older rams 2013/2014 but here is the thing...my Ram was made 12/14...possibility of it not getting updated with deeper thread from engine block?

I guess I will check to see if the mopar leaks after 1000 miles and if does - back to the dealership (men that don't know how to measure oil levels mind you)

Any other oil filter issues in early 2015's?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
oil filter thread

Someone give UDCentaur the threads on this, I know it's been covered. I thought we had a long one, can't find it.

OP
OP
U

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Thank you - I can use this for reference to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i read about this issue in 2010. my solution is, with a filter wrench, give it a quarter turn tighter than normal. never a leak and still comes off easily.