2015 RAM 1500 5.7 Repeated Oil Filter Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ab4924

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey folks. I have a 2014 RAm 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab. the result of 2 of my last 3 oil changes at the dealer have been oil leaks within about 3500 miles originating from the Oil Filter. I was told my one service advisor after the first leak, they had been having quality issues with the oil filters. I just had a second incident this past week with oil leaking from the filter. I talked to the mechanic who did the work today and he said it was leaking from the filter. He said he had seen a number of them and had others complaints, but could not attribute it to anything specific.

Has anyone had similar issues with leaks from the filter on a 2012-2016 RAM 1500? Curious if its the mopar filters the dealerships are using or if anyone has heard or seen something else to explain?

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never had a leak from the filter. Have you done any investigating yourself?

Who knows what they could have screwed up with the base plate. Sounds fishy....

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a leak once and I was using a K&N filter. A few others have complained too.

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a leak with my first oil change. I just put a little extra man on it from now on. No leaks since.

Mike mcg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This just happened to me recently started noticing a oil mark in my driveway right after a oil change on my 13 big horn quad cab. At my dealership they have a express Dept. Most of the techs in there are still in school and I thought it was a matter of laziness of not tightening correctly so I went into dealership with a attitude and service advisor told me same thing that he's seen this a few times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I had couple leaks on my 14 but switched to wix and only had 1 leak after switching to wix

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
I don't get it. I've been changing my own oil for 50 years and I've never had a leak. Must have changed a couple hundred filters. All kinds of brands. I almost put a filter on without wiping the gasket surface, when I noticed the old gasket was still stuck to the surface. That's the closest I've come to a leak.

zeus2120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 or V8
I have a 2014 Bighorn Hemi and have the same problem. Oil alllll over the driveway because of the stupid filter. 33000 miles.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3 oil changes and zero leaks. Always use royal purple filters.

jgallo2448

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just had my oil changed at the dealer on Wednesday. Had a small leak before it was changed . Asked about it and they said they got bad filters in and the o rings were breaking or getting pinched. Some of them seamed to be after a couple heat cycles

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I don't get it. I've been changing my own oil for 50 years and I've never had a leak. Must have changed a couple hundred filters. All kinds of brands. I almost put a filter on without wiping the gasket surface, when I noticed the old gasket was still stuck to the surface. That's the closest I've come to a leak.

That is great you never had one leak but it still happens even to those that install them correctly. I have had two leaky filters, one was a Purolator that had a bad end seam crimp and the other a OEM Hyundai filter with a bad o-ring.

This is not the first time I have heard of the MOPAR branded filters leaking lately.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
Mine does the same thing, at About 3000 miles I usually start to get a drip and I have to craw under and tighten it. Mopsr filters

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've always changed my own oil with Wix filters until this last change to an RP, and have never had an issue. There are options out there for quality, non-OE filters which are trustworthy.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
hmm interesting. 20k miles on my truck. always do my own oil changes and always molar filter... haven't had leaks yet..... but now i i am going to check my filter right now.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll be getting my 3rd of 4 free changes on Monday. So far no leaks.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey folks. I have a 2014 RAm 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab. the result of 2 of my last 3 oil changes at the dealer have been oil leaks within about 3500 miles originating from the Oil Filter. I was told my one service advisor after the first leak, they had been having quality issues with the oil filters. I just had a second incident this past week with oil leaking from the filter. I talked to the mechanic who did the work today and he said it was leaking from the filter. He said he had seen a number of them and had others complaints, but could not attribute it to anything specific.

Has anyone had similar issues with leaks from the filter on a 2012-2016 RAM 1500? Curious if its the mopar filters the dealerships are using or if anyone has heard or seen something else to explain?

There don't seem to be any TSB's regarding this. Do you currently have your vehicle back or is the dealership still looking into things?

Bradlyr1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought my 2015 Laramie a couple weeks ago. After a month I noticed a leak. I asked my buddy if his 2013 ever did it. He said yes,it has 3 times so far. I crawled under and hand tighter my filter as tight as I could. I couldn't believe it was so lose,same situation my buddy had with his. This seems pretty ridiculous to me. I found this info on a Durango forum. Could or Rams be having the same issue and possibly use the same fix?

Chase300
Atlanta
Feb 15, 2015 · #1
Leaking Oil Filter Hemi

I posted where I had a disaster changing the oil on my new to me '14 Hemi Durango in another thread where the factory had the filter on so tight the filter gasket stayed on the truck which created a big leak when I put another filter on.
However, since discovering that and putting the filter back on with only one gasket, I have still been battling a leak.
Much smaller of course, but it was still leaking ending up with small drops in the garage and clearly wet all around the filter and underside of the truck.
I ended up replacing the filter again using Mopar 899 factory replacement filters and really cranking down on them as much as I could.
Still leaking.
No way I could have gotten back to back bad filters!
So, I decided to look at this closer before going to the dealer as 1, I have the tools and 2, I believe I'm way smarter than most of the dealer mechanics they hire.
Here is what I found and might help others if they run into this issue.

I first measured the filter opening where it screws on and wanted to know the depth it allows.
There is only about 1/2" before the Mopar 899 filter reaches a lip inside which prevents it from mounting any deeper than that.
That means the pipe which it screws onto the filter housing can't be more than 1/2" out from the mounting flange otherwise the filter won't seal properly.
When I measured the pipe which the filter mounts to it was right at 1/2" out from the flange.
In my case that meant filter the seal was probably just making contact with the flange but it could not be snug down enough to seal properly.
The mounting pipe is screwed into the filter housing using a T60 size hex head socket.
I tightened the pipe maybe a turn more in as it was sung already, but that gave me more clearance to mount the filter.

Success!!!
Filter is now snug, does not leak and doesn't have to be cranked on either.

Anyhow, if anyone runs into this issue on a Hemi the solution is to tighten down the oil pipe into the housing a bit.
The factory did not have it in far enough in my case and I'm sure my engine is not the only one out there with this issue.

Also I looked at filter designs too and noted the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter to be a better design for sealing than the factory filter.
It does not have a lip inside it so it is not limited to only a 1/2" of depth like the Mopar filter is.
Plus the mounting seal is extended about 2mm further out compared to the Mopar filter giving additional depth as well for sealing.
So an alternate solution to adjusting the filter mount pipe inward would be to fit a Mobil 1 Extended Performance Filter.