2016 Cummins lag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelz505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7L
Love my Cummins, but having to live with a big lag from dead stop. I would think with all the torque available, it should really move-it does if you are really gentle with the throttle, then lean into it. But if you just floor it, it has a terrible lag. I just feel it is more a programming torque regulating thing vs. turbo lag. Any fixes out there? Is it really turbo lag or programming?

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Love my Cummins, but having to live with a big lag from dead stop. I would think with all the torque available, it should really move-it does if you are really gentle with the throttle, then lean into it. But if you just floor it, it has a terrible lag. I just feel it is more a programming torque regulating thing vs. turbo lag. Any fixes out there? Is it really turbo lag or programming?
GET THE PEDAL COMMANDER!!! :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
There is a looooong thread on TDR about this. Torque management is definitely at play, but some have an excruciating case of dead-pedal. If you ever experience dead-pedal you will never confuse it with turbo lag. Anecdotally, the Aisin equipped trucks seem to have it the worst. Perhaps pure coincidence, but the Nissans with the V-8 Cummins and their version of the Aisin also had a ton of complaints of dead-pedal. IMHO, the bottom line is all the mfrs want to brag about HP and TQ numbers, but the rest of the truck is not up to it, so it is only available in a limited set of circumstances.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
If the Pedal Commander doesn't have one, Sprint throttle booster does

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I love RF but anyone with a Cummins needs to be on TDR as well.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
3:42 gears and turbo lag sure dont help.
Full delete and EFI Live will fix it up..
set of 3:73s would sure help.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I can tell you from experience that it is all in the programing (torque management). The VGT turbo on the new Cummins has very little lag.

I had the dead pedal in my 14 Cummins. Try to stomp the pedal and it would just sit there, ease into it and it would go. In my opinion it could be strait up dangerous in certain situations.

You can aid it some with things like the pedal commander, sprint booster, and BD Diesel Throttle Sensitivity Booster. I used the BD Diesel TSB and it helped some. Non of these will mess with your warranty.

Unfortunately to completely get rid of it you will have to tune it with something like EFI Live or MM3. After tuning mine was completely gone. I know this is not an option for a lot of people, but really is the only way to get rid of it. Hope this helped you out some.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

It really is pathetic, it fact many think it borders unsafe. I started throttling up about three seconds before I wanted to move. This isn't a result of turbo spool up time, it is likely programmed in to help achieve fleet MPGs since it prevents faster the normal starts.

Here is the perfect solution;
BD Throttle Sensitivity Booster 07-17 Cummins / 11-17 Powerstroke

This solution allows the sensitivity to be preset and the box installed up underneath the dash. They make an optional switch that allows you to make sensitivity settings on the fly. With the switch, it is a little more expensive than the pedal commander but a clean installation. This is what I run on my Cummins, perfect throttle response. I use the first setting (50%) when towing and the second setting (100%) when not towing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

michaelz505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7L
Thanks guys, all good info. But, I have the BD trottle sensitivity aid & it really helps. But the dead pedal is almost unsafe. I mean the first 10-15-20 feet the truck is a snail, then hang on. And, forget about spinning tires from a start. So, is the concensious to completely solve the problem, a tuner? Does that resolve the problem, and what is your opinion on which one. Just past one year on the warranty and have extended, but if there is a tuner that can be unplugged prior to service-I'm in.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure - I have heard good things about " EFI Live-

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys, all good info. But, I have the BD trottle sensitivity aid & it really helps. But the dead pedal is almost unsafe. I mean the first 10-15-20 feet the truck is a snail, then hang on. And, forget about spinning tires from a start. So, is the concensious to completely solve the problem, a tuner? Does that resolve the problem, and what is your opinion on which one. Just past one year on the warranty and have extended, but if there is a tuner that can be unplugged prior to service-I'm in.

You have to get a tuner and an unlocked PCM. Needless to say, this screams modded to a dealer.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yes EFI live or MM3 through a reputable tuner will completely solve the problem. Torque management will be non existent after tuning. Trust me it is like driving a whole different truck. With EFI live you will have to purchase a Bullydog Tuner to unlock the PCM before being able to tune, with MM3 it will unlock the PCM and tune with the same device. Then you have to decide weather you want emissions intact tuning or if you want to delete the emissions.

With either of these you can probably kiss your warranty goodby, unless you can find a tuner friendly dealer.

You may want to look into the edge juice with attitude. This device plugs into your injector harness and intercepts the signal. This does not write anything to the PCM and is easy to take off before going into the dealer. It also come's with one of the best monitors on the market, so you can see everything your truck is doing. It will also adjust tire size and let you know when you are in regen.

I had this on my truck because tuning was not available at the time for the 2013+ trucks and I really like it. Its has shift on the fly power levels, you can adjust low boost fueling, and torque management.

Hear is a link to it that tells a little more.

https://www.rollinsmokediesel.com/p...ts-31507-juice-with-attitude-cts2-monitor.cfm

OP
OP
M

michaelz505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7L
Thanks CDT-sounds like you a good handle on this problem. I think the Edge Juice w/attitude might fit the bill. I like the easy connect/disconnect, for if/when it goes into the Dealer and apparently does not leave a trace. Do not think I need the other tuners that might run better, but have their issues and usually need other mods to bring out the most. My truck runs really well, just that dead pedal when you floor it from a stand.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks CDT-sounds like you a good handle on this problem. I think the Edge Juice w/attitude might fit the bill. I like the easy connect/disconnect, for if/when it goes into the Dealer and apparently does not leave a trace. Do not think I need the other tuners that might run better, but have their issues and usually need other mods to bring out the most. My truck runs really well, just that dead pedal when you floor it from a stand.

The edge is just a piggy back module. It intercepts the signal coming from the PCM via the injector harness and modifies it. The edge writes nothing to the PCM and does not leave a trace. I don't know why edge calls it a tuner because it is not a true tuner. A true tuner actually installs new program mapping to the PCM, which this does not do. It takes about 45 min to install the first time and much less to take off. The install pretty much consist of unhooking and hooking some wire's. No cutting or modifying required.

I really liked the unit and would have keep it but wanted the emissions to fall off my truck and also was adding compounds and nozzles that required custom tuning. I think you will be very pleased with the unit. It really wakes the truck up, deals with some of that torque management, and goes awesome with the BD Diesel TSB.

Hopefully this helped you understand a little more about what this unit does. If you have anymore questions about it don't hesitate to ask. :favorites13: