2016 Ram 1500 5.7L Programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJLowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey All,

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi truck that I just got lifted 4.5in a few weeks ago and had 35's put on too. Loving the look and the benefits of the truck thus far!! As expected, I lost some mpg in the upgrade. I was looking to start modifying my engine to gain some of that back first and foremost, but also to add some more power to it too. I was looking into simple upgrades first like a Cold Air Intake but after talking to the guy that lifted my truck, he said he'd go with a programmer first since the stock computer inside still does all its calculations thinking I have 31in tires still. That made a lot of sense to me so I am on the market for a programmer, before anything, that can hopefully be touchscreen and be mounted to the dash/windshield. Either or, not too picky there. I couldn't seem to find the option I wanted yet. Any idea if any are out yet and if so, what the links are? Any help would be much appreciated!

OP
OP
TheJLowe

TheJLowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Oh great! Thanks! I just visited their site and looks like they have quite a few options, but exactly what I was looking for. I'm not quite sure the difference between a few of them though but primarily the 2015/2016 Diablo i2 Tuner w/ PCM Exchange for $499 vs. the 2015/2016 Trinity w/ PCM Exchange for $699. Any idea by chance?

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought the whole setup from Moe's Performance because when I take it in for service I'll put the old pcm back on the truck in case they flash the pcm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought the i2 because I didn't need the other stuff. Already like the custom tune I got but I'm going to send the data back to Sean so he can tweak it a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh great! Thanks! I just visited their site and looks like they have quite a few options, but exactly what I was looking for. I'm not quite sure the difference between a few of them though but primarily the 2015/2016 Diablo i2 Tuner w/ PCM Exchange for $499 vs. the 2015/2016 Trinity w/ PCM Exchange for $699. Any idea by chance?

With the exchange, you will ship back your factory PCM and use the unlocked one they sent you. With the "unlocked" versions, you keep the unlocked PCM as well as your factory locked one.

The Trinity vs I2 just depends what you want. The Trinity is a touchscreen tuner that will give you a few more options like digital gauge for monitoring. You can still remove it if you don't want to keep it plugged in, without effecting the tune.

OP
OP
TheJLowe

TheJLowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That's good to know about the Exchange vs. Unlocked versions.
What does the i2 and Trinity have that's different from one another exactly? My goal is to get some mpg back for sure, but when I'm not worried about it, I'd like to get some more power. Also over time when I add other components for the engine, I'd like the tuner to be able to adjust with my upgrades. I really don't need a lot of functionality I don't believe either, but I am not sure what one offers vs the other.
Did you guys pay the extra $100 for the Hemifever Custom Tune too? Is that what allows them to do additional customs for you? And what do you guys have them do exactly?

Sorry, a lot of questions. Lol.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought the DiabloSport inTune for $499 plus the HemiFever for $100. Just waiting to receive the modified PCM and then I'll get started. Excited to find out about the gains. I got a 2016 1500 as well so if you'd like some more feedback on this setup, let me know and I'll be happy to give it to you when I've had a chance to get it all set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO custom tuning is the only way to go. It includes any updates to the custom tune you may need due to additional mod's you install. Matt at Moe's and Sean at Hemifever are both really good to deal with and they will answer all your questions. The Trinity has the screen and you can mount it on your dash and see 0-60 times etc., where the I2 does not have that capability. I bought the new unlocked PCM so I could keep the stock one to change out if I went back to the dealer for service. If you get an unlocked PCM and the custom tunes you'll be about $1K into it. The custom tunes will give you the best bang for the buck and you can add other mod's to enhance the performance of the tuner ie; aftermarket exhaust, CAI, 180* thermostat and on and on and on-------:naughty::naughty:
Jay

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Remember, you also need an unlocked PCM in addition to the programmer.

The I2 is a simple programmer with the tunes on it. You also use it, along with a PC, to update the programmer with custom tunes and tune updates.

The Trinity, on the other hand can do all that the I2 can do PLUS give you a real time, configurable, performance monitor. If the engine has a sensor for it, you can monitor it.

The "canned tunes" (the ones loaded on the programmers by Diablosport) aren't bad but a custom tune is the way to go.

There are, or were, several tuners for sale here on the forum.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remember, you also need an unlocked PCM in addition to the programmer.

The I2 is a simple programmer with the tunes on it. You also use it, along with a PC, to update the programmer with custom tunes and tune updates.

The Trinity, on the other hand can do all that the I2 can do PLUS give you a real time, configurable, performance monitor. If the engine has a sensor for it, you can monitor it.

The "canned tunes" (the ones loaded on the programmers by Diablosport) aren't bad but a custom tune is the way to go.

There are, or were, several tuners for sale here on the forum.

Not trying to steal the attention here but I bet OP won't mind getting some possible tips. As I mentioned I'm having the DiabloSport inTune with HemiFever put in soon. Got a Carven Progressive series kit as well, what are other mods to up my MPG (especially this) and also the power? I know CAI, but what would be the list of them in the order of how much I'll possibly gain?
Thanks in advance

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Start with intake, exhaust and a programmer. Those are the best bang for the buck mods you can do.

Mileage and Power figures are hard to determine as each truck is a bit different as is every driver and driving conditions.

I based my decision on wanting to improve throttle response, move the torque curve back towards lower end of the RPM scale and improve some of the driveability issues, such as lugging in full auto and a poor mushy shift program.

I got all those + a slight increase in hwy mileage and a really nice driving truck with instant kickdown when I stepped on the throttle. The custom WOT shift points were spot on and it was just a much better truck to drive.