2016 ram 1500 start and stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I bought my truck a month ago and within 3 days been having trouble with it..... so it's a push button start so I press the brake and the button it will fire right up like a normal start up but as soon as it does it shuts right off back to the push button screen.... I've taken it to 2 dealerships one reset the adaptive memory.... wasn't that
The other one it wouldn't do it for them I got there and it did it for me with the tech beside me the next day did it for them..they put a flight recorder in it but didn't get good enough readings apparently I'm at a loss.. but after they talked to dodge techs they have never seen this problem before..... I tired to upload a video but won't let me

This truck is a 2016 ram 1500 with only 3500km on it please help me I wanna enjoy it not see it in the shop weekly

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I assume there are no check engine lights lit up?

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was fixing to say my 2016 has a fob you have to use like a key. Could it be the push button switch that is causing the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the evic give a brief message when this happens indicating a fault?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
... I press the brake and the button it will fire right up like a normal start up but as soon as it does it shuts right off back to the push button screen.... I've taken it to 2 dealerships one reset the adaptive memory.... wasn't that

What happens when you try to remote start it.

Intermittents can be a bear to isolate. This can be a fuel pump, filter restriction, fuel line or most likely either the TIPM connector or a TIPM issue. Could also be the PCM. Ask them if they checked the TIPM connectors (both module and wire harness side) for pushed or defective pins. They probably have checked for good grounding. Have they replaced the TIPM already? That was probably why they instrumented it and was unsuccessful. Next step, and they may be waiting for FCA approval, would likely be to start replacing modules, probably starting with the TIPM and then PCM. They may also want to check the PCM pins and harness.

Last edited:

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did this when it was low on fuel, The fuel low indicator was on. Did you have enough gas in it? It would start for about 5 sec then shut down. I put fuel in it and now no problems.

mbspark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did you ever get a solution to yours? Mine is doing it about every 5th start. Amount of fuel doesn't change anything. Dealer can't figure it out, I've been there 3 times for this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
You also have a 2010 not 2016 FYI
He mentioned twice that its a 2016. So he didnt update his profile. How about dont be an idiot and give the guy a hard time? Pretty novel idea...

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

Bagger16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone had a solution to this as mine is doing the same thing and the dealer after opening up a star case has no ideas as well and there has to be a fix for this?

mbspark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Still no update on mine. I've had it back in the shop twice since my post and the dealer isn't able to re-create the problem. They said they can keep it up to 2 weeks and basically just have someone going out twice a day and start it and see what happens, but I'm not in a position that I can be without my truck for 2 weeks. Dealer isn't able to give me a loaner car past a day. Dealer suggested I call Chrysler Customer Care and see what they can do for me. I would imagine they could care as it's an embarrassing problem, especially with passengers that are adverse to Ram / Mopar to begin with. Not a great image to own a new truck that doesn't even start.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2016 1500 is doing the same exact thing. Started out doing once, then a week later it happened again.... now its every single time I start the truck. If anyone figures this out please update!!

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that sucks Hope Ram gives you a loaner car or a Ram, Because that is like a black eye for them their own build and they cant find the problem. I think its time you went higher up the food chain to get answers, because that is not a cheap truck hope you get it running 100 percent like it should. GOOD LUCK brother:banana-mario:

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 16 with the same push button start and stall. It’s probably 1/50 starts. It starts, stalls and then I can start it up again. On the restart I usually get a slight choking sound like it’s either getting not enough or too much fuel.

it’s never happened on the remote start

mallard106

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Was there ever a solution to the start/stop issue with the 2016 ram? I am experiencing the problem now!

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s still doing it occasionally,
more often when I am switching back and forth between drive and reverse like parallel parking. It’s not cool!