2016 Rough Idle Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the last couple weeks my 16 Ram has been pretty temperamental upon startup for about 30 seconds. It's only happening when the truck sits for longer periods of time. Anyone had this issue or have any recommendations? I plan on calling the dealership and filming it happen upon startup. That way I don't get the "we couldn't get it to replicate" answer.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a few threads on here noting similar issues. If it only does it after a long period of time, definitely video record it. A dealer isn't going to be able to recreate that particular issue in all practicality. And define "temperamental"..

OP
OP
R

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried searching but haven't found anything on brand new vehicles doing it right upon startup.

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the same issue on my 15 sport. For some reason it does that in the morning, but the rest of the day it starts normal until the next morning again. I will record a video,but until tommorow morning in 10 hours approx.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue on my 15 sport. For some reason it does that in the morning, but the rest of the day it starts normal until the next morning again. I will record a video,but until tommorow morning in 10 hours approx.

Yup, that is how mine is too. The odd thing is, I realized it does it only in certain temps...always spring/fall time.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is it now? Was it a problem that needed to be fixed, or you just let it be?

Like I just posted above, it is still doing it but only with certain temps (spring/fall usually). In one of my 18 warranty claims (literally, no joke) I brought this up and the dealership couldn't duplicate it....no surprise there. I've seen a few people start threads about this topic on this forum and other forums. None of them got a solution to the issue. I'm surprised to see 2016s with this same problem, assuming it is the same problem.

OP
OP
R

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your issue seems to be different than mine. It almost acts like its very slightly revving, but doesn't drop below the normal idle point.

Bolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn mine stared to do that too ! Every morning I leave for work it's starts like **** . 2014 ram 1500 hemi 26000 miles . Wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has done this for awhile now... 2012 Sport. Only on the first startup of the day like the other said and the video on youtube someone posted on here. I usually give it some gas and its fine.

Funny thing is... if I use the remote starter.. its fine... if I start it manually... it does the same thing as everyone else. I've just been living with it.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://vimeo.com/168033585

Yup, exactly what mine is currently doing 1st startup in the morning. Like I said before, it only seems to do this in the Fall and Spring times....makes me think it has something to do with fuel/air mixture not being right.

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This sucks. Not even my 03 yukon does this.

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
Mine does the same on cold starts but I think it's because how thin our oil is its were it seeps all the way back down and takes a bit to get lubed up again.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same on cold starts but I think it's because how thin our oil is its were it seeps all the way back down and takes a bit to get lubed up again.

I don't know about that. To me, with the way it sounds, I definitely think it's either a fuel, spark, or air issue. I don't know which one or why. I keep hoping that someone or a dealership will figure it out and post it on the forums somewhere.

rtorres51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine just started doing that in the mornings. It started after I had the dealer service my truck. Had a fuel pressure sensor going out. They replaced and did a PCM and transmission flash updates. Truck runs great, better throttle response. Just on cold start it starts rough, but after I give it gas, it goes away. Not sure what to do, hate to go back to dealer and be without truck for three days.

Bolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what they do . They take your truck for those days and beat the hell out of it drive like asholes and repair it in 3 hours with a **** job.

Bolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does not take some one to do a job on your truck for 3 days