4.7 performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csuthrower04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey does anyone have any suggestions for a few simple performance upgrades I can do with my 2013 4.7? I know that it is just a little 4.7 and I am not trying to create a monster, just looking for a few projects to tinker with on my truck and maybe squeeze out a few extra hp in the process.

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
With the research I have done I have found that nobody likes our motors, and for some reason nobody wants to help make them any better.

There are tuners available for gains around 15-20,

K&N makes the only intake system I would put on my truck based on the reviews I have read on the other ones.

And then there is exhaust, which our options pretty much narrow down to just welding in a muffler that flows just as well as a rediculously over priced "full system", or pay a ton of money for a shiney exhaust that nobody is going to see and only hear.

Whatever you decide to do I don't see this motor picking up any more than about 30HP unless the aftermarket seriousley steps up there game.

I have been thinking about this for a while and for me instead of trying to add power I'm probably going to re-gear it to get the performance gains I would like to see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

csuthrower04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I threw on a magnaflow 18 this week which and I am planning to take a shot at the cold air intake in the next couple of weeks. Is there a tuner for the 4.7 that anyone recommends?

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
When I had a 4.7L in my 2002 Dakota, I did the H.O. Cams and Intake, CAI, catback exhaust and a Tuner... it moved like a ***** ape in that little truck after all those add ons... The cams and intake were a bit more intrusive than the average bolts on... lol

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7's respond better to 'canned tunes' than 5.7's,,,

Superchips Flashpaq:

Dodge-Ram-2010-4.7L

•Power Gains - + 50.0 HP & +55.0 lb-ft

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
When I had a 4.7L in my 2002 Dakota, I did the H.O. Cams and Intake, CAI, catback exhaust and a Tuner... it moved like a ***** ape in that little truck after all those add ons... The cams and intake were a bit more intrusive than the average bolts on... lol

I have heard a lot of good things about the H.O. cam but after talking with a few people that said they are hard to find anymore, I didn't even try to look.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think simple and cheap, with the "Bang for the Buck" factor would be a conservitive nitrous shot.

Is a Pro Charger out of the question?

The 4.7 is a good engine. A friend of mine has one with over 260,000 miles on it. He says it runs great, doesn't use oil, never any problems.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't bother with HO cams, they are not an upgrade from what you have currently IIRC. If you want a cam, go with a custom grind and get a custom tune. The intakes and heads on the newer 4.7Ls actually flow pretty good. The exhaust is decent but still would replace with some good JBAs or equivalent. Other than that a TB and your done... Unless you want to throw a turbo or pro charger, you really don't have a lot of options.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think simple and cheap, with the "Bang for the Buck" factor would be a conservitive nitrous shot.

The 4.7 is a good engine. A friend of mine has one with over 260,000 miles on it. He says it runs great, doesn't use oil, never any problems.

They do run good and will last awhile as long as you keep up their oil changes and NEVER get a 4.7L hot!! They will drop valve seats and you will be very upset when this happens.

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4.7's respond better to 'canned tunes' than 5.7's,,,

Superchips Flashpaq:

Dodge-Ram-2010-4.7L

•Power Gains - + 50.0 HP & +55.0 lb-ft

Gonna pull out the flag on this one :bs: no gas engine is gaining that much from a tuner. Realistically, try 15hp and 20lb-ft at most. That advertising is just like CAI's claiming 20hp and 5mpg gains, nothing but magic marketing fairy dust :crazy:

OP
OP
C

csuthrower04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Speaking of CAI's has anyone given the S&B CAI a go on a 4.7? I know that they are only sold for 5.7 engines, but the upper and lower air box is the same for both the 4.7 and 5.7. I was interested if it would be possible to drop in an S&B CAI and just keep the stock air intake hose. Any thoughts?

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

I have not found a bolt on supercharger kit as of now, I think a rear mount turbo kit would be a lot easier to fab up. It's something that I have put a lot of thought into but I just don't know if it would be worth it to just match the hemi performance.

I'm thinking a Borg Warner S366 on about 5-7 lbs would do it but again who knows how well the motor would hold up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963