4th gen engine swap what years work with 09 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Massey32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with mds
Need to know what year model 5.7 hemi will work in my 2009 Ram 1500 with 5.7 mds

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends how much work you want to do. The 09-12 will swap directly iirc, but the 13+ is different.

Now depending the original motor condition, you could probably use a 13+ and swap some stuff from the original (intake, TB, power steering pump, harness...) to possibly make it work, but I have never really look into it, so there's probably other factor.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
A short block from anything '09+ will work. If you just want to direct swap the engine then get a '09-'12 but if you can reuse all your accessories and intake manifold then you can get any short block from '09 and up from a 1500.

OP
OP
M

Massey32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with mds
What happened to the engine?

I wiped a cam love on #6. It's running terrible dealership says I need a new motor but I don't have 5k just laying around. They also said the mds solenoids are different on newer motors. I just want to make sure when I buy one that it's going work and everything will plug in without any problems.

OP
OP
M

Massey32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with mds
A short block from anything '09+ will work. If you just want to direct swap the engine then get a '09-'12 but if you can reuse all your accessories and intake manifold then you can get any short block from '09 and up from a 1500.

Dealership says the mds is different. 10-12 but everything else the same so that's what's holding me up. I'd rather buy a good used motor with low miles. I've never messed around with the insides on a 5.7

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Dealership says the mds is different. 10-12 but everything else the same so that's what's holding me up. I'd rather buy a good used motor with low miles. I've never messed around with the insides on a 5.7

The MDS system is the same, my forged block came from a '11 and everything swapped over from my '09 and worked before I totally deleted it when I put the bigger blower on it. They didn't make 1 year of the new vvt block, it changed in '09 and has been the same since except for programming and external accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Massey32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi with mds
The MDS system is the same, my forged block came from a '11 and everything swapped over from my '09 and worked before I totally deleted it when I put the bigger blower on it. They didn't make 1 year of the new vvt block, it changed in '09 and has been the same since except for programming and external accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I can just drop a used motor in no problem. If so, thanks I really appreciate it. Might've saved me a ton of money.