4th Gen Ram long tube headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rampage57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wanting to install some long tube headers on my 2012 dodge ram reg cab. I already have true duals and a super 40 flow master installed. Haven't found any install videos, wanting to know a better/quick way. I do not have a lift, will be on the ground. So you can delete that. Anyone else have experience with installing them on a 4th gen? Help would be appreciated!

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I haven't installed headers but have fixed broken manifold studs a few times on Durangos . It makes it real easy to get to if you pop the fender well liner out and I think I took the wheel off. Their maybe othER better ways to do it though

ramittome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just as everyone said. Front tires off, inner fender liners out, and a lot of patients. I've swapped exhaust on three 4th gen rams now. It takes longer to remove and replace the manifolds/headers than it does to swap the whole rest of the exhaust.

OP
OP
R

Rampage57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alrighty, stage 8 bolts and new Mopar gaskets okay? I prefer not to use the gaskets the headers come with.

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get the gaskets for the 6.1L Hemi, it doesnt have the heat shield on it, which will save you a bit of a headache.
I also used high temperature anti-seize on the bolts

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Stage8's are the best and yes, use the Mopar gaskets, I never had any luck with the ARH gaskets that came with either of my header sets, I just trimmed the heat shield off my first set of 5.7L gaskets. A good set of extensions, u-joints, and wobble extensions are your friend for this job. Like Talon, I also use high temp anti-seize so they can be removed at a later date if required without busting bolts in the head.

OP
OP
R

Rampage57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as removing the fender liners and front wheels, is there anything else under neath I need to remove to get to them better?

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I didn't do this myself. My mechanic told me he had to loosen the starter up. I have shorties but I'm sure it's the same. I used stage 8 bolts and Percy seal for good gasket.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
No need to remove anything but the wheels and front fender liners. Starter does not get in the way of the longtube install. You will have to remove the oil dipstick tube when installing the driver side header. It is very easy to do on the 2wd trucks, but the lower bolt is tough to get to on the 4wd trucks.

Otherwise, they bolt right in.

OP
OP
R

Rampage57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure what forum I read this from, but when you say remove the oil dipstick, I saw something about a guy having to run his oildipstick up through his long tube. That sounds weird, lol.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
That is correct. The stock dipstick tube hugs the factory manifolds pretty close, so once you install the longtubes, you will need to reroute the dipstick tube in between the header primaries.

OP
OP
R

Rampage57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as the install, does the long tubes have to be welded to the pipe? Or are they bolt on? I would like for it to be bolt on, if that can happen.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I have ARH long tubes with high flow cats all bolt up. I also used mopar gaskets and stage 8 locking bolts.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
As far as the install, does the long tubes have to be welded to the pipe? Or are they bolt on? I would like for it to be bolt on, if that can happen.

They are bolted to the rest of the exhaust system, it would be very difficult to work on the vehicle if you had to unbolt the entire exhaust just to pull a head or something like that. The header will have a 2- or 3-bolt cup flange and if you're just doing headers and not a full header+mid pipe then you'll just have to have the exhaust shop spread the flange for it to fit together properly.

OP
OP
R

Rampage57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just doing headers because I had my Y pipe cut where the two pipes meet so it's true duals. I'm looking at the JBA headers and noticed a reducer pipe that comes with it.

Dimarini

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, removing the steering intermediate column (between the box and the top column) made installing the dipstick muuuuuuuuuuch easier.

OP
OP
R

Rampage57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm assuming just by buying only JBA long tube headers, they are not direct bolt on to these 4th gen trucks with the factory Y pipe, I will have to do cutting and modifications to the Y pipe?