4th gen throttle body after almost 30,000 miles and no catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well decided to clean my throttle body today thinking it would be pretty bad since it hasn't been cleaned before and I have no catch can, but it really wasn't

Front(top)
null_zps9e5c8144.jpg

Back(bottom)
null_zpsbe0bd4a4.jpg

Towels after wiping it down
null_zps5bb5c028.jpg
null_zps2d552802.jpg

So for those of all that are worried your TB will be pure black without a catch can, don't be. Although it's still a recommended mod by many

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manifold or the tube? Either way, no clue. Didn't check either of them cause I couldn't get the sensor out of the intake tube

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the pic of the back of the TB. Is that a shadow or was you gasket leaking ?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's exactly how mine looked after 10,000km.
I suspect the bulk of the crap goes through, and does not stick to the TB.
I'm not the #1 fanboy of catch-cans, but if they hold prolong the life of my truck then its $130 well spent. Better safe than sorry...

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The reason why yours wasn't too dirty is because you don't have a tuner. The guys running tuners are getting a lot more oil pumped through the PCV which is why theirs are so bad. I have installed many TB's here on truck with anywhere from 200 miles to 90k miles. The guys with tuners and no catch can always have a lot more buildup on the back of the blade.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Interesting, thanks for posting your findings garner. Good to know that most of the crap accumulates on the TB when you're running a tune. I'm thinking I'll probably still get a catch can though. Like audio1der said...better safe than sorry in my opinion.

PS...hemi450hp, I tried to shoot you a PM the other day but your inbox was full. Could you send me a PM and let me know when you've freed up some space?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
PS...hemi450hp, I tried to shoot you a PM the other day but your inbox was full. Could you send me a PM and let me know when you've freed up some space?

Sorry about that. Box is clear now.

junior81

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 crew cab sport
Engine
Surprisingly I had no build up on my stock TB and I've have been running a tuner for more than 2months. Changed out my tb to the 85mm and it still was pretty clean. Still ordered the catch can though and threw it on, It's a must have mod and i feel a lot better knowing im extending the life of my engine....thanks Moe's.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
hmm interesting. Next time I get a chance to pull mine off I'll have to check. I have been running a tuner for a while.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's funny how some guys on RF pull their catch cans off and have a ton of crap in there, and then there are instances like these when the TB isn't too horribly dirty.

I guess it must take a little time for the crap to build up even when you're running a tune.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My throttle body was pristine after 10,000 miles. I still installed a catch can and after 100 miles it had a bunch of oil in it. Oil lowers your octane rating, so I'd rather catch it than burn it.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My throttle body was pristine after 10,000 miles. I still installed a catch can and after 100 miles it had a bunch of oil in it. Oil lowers your octane rating, so I'd rather catch it than burn it.

Very good point.

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the pic of the back of the TB. Is that a shadow or was you gasket leaking ?

I'm gonna go with shadow

That's exactly how mine looked after 10,000km.
I suspect the bulk of the crap goes through, and does not stick to the TB.
I'm not the #1 fanboy of catch-cans, but if they hold prolong the life of my truck then its $130 well spent. Better safe than sorry...

Very true. I would definitely get one if I kept my truck long enough

The reason why yours wasn't too dirty is because you don't have a tuner. The guys running tuners are getting a lot more oil pumped through the PCV which is why theirs are so bad. I have installed many TB's here on truck with anywhere from 200 miles to 90k miles. The guys with tuners and no catch can always have a lot more buildup on the back of the blade.

What's the difference between tuned and untuned? Cause I know one post I believe you said the harder you drive, the more oil and I drive mine hard everyday so I figured it would have more build up on it

Interesting, thanks for posting your findings garner. Good to know that most of the crap accumulates on the TB when you're running a tune. I'm thinking I'll probably still get a catch can though. Like audio1der said...better safe than sorry in my opinion.

No problem. And I'm not denying the effectiveness of the catch can, I would get one too if I actually kept vehicles long enough till warranty ended, but just posting the results of mine without it

Surprisingly I had no build up on my stock TB and I've have been running a tuner for more than 2months. Changed out my tb to the 85mm and it still was pretty clean. Still ordered the catch can though and threw it on, It's a must have mod and i feel a lot better knowing im extending the life of my engine....thanks Moe's.

Yeah better to be safe than sorry

It's funny how some guys on RF pull their catch cans off and have a ton of crap in there, and then there are instances like these when the TB isn't too horribly dirty.

I guess it must take a little time for the crap to build up even when you're running a tune.

Yeah definitely interesting about the varying results

That's crazy. Guess it doesn't really stick to the TB, more so the intake system then maybe

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys as a comparison, here's a post I made on another forum with my R/T

Front/top of the throttle body
IMAG0118.jpg

Back/bottom of the throttle body after 15,000 miles
IMAG0117.jpg

4th gen Hemi without engine cover
IMAG0119.jpg

Air filter after 15,000 miles
IMAG0120.jpg

Synolimit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I can't see the tb getting that dirty anyways. The port coming from the pcv is under the tb. Air flows in past the tb then the port for pcv. Whether under vacuum idle or punching it, air rushing by that port shouldn't let oil back track out of the tb or on to it. A true sign of dirty should be the manifold, not the tb.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can't see the tb getting that dirty anyways. The port coming from the pcv is under the tb. Air flows in past the tb then the port for pcv. Whether under vacuum idle or punching it, air rushing by that port shouldn't let oil back track out of the tb or on to it. A true sign of dirty should be the manifold, not the tb.

They get very dirty over time as the oil is in the air as it is recirculated through the pcv and hose back into the TB. Yes the air flows through but the oil sticks to the TB and eventually restricts the flow some and can cause rough idle and less than ideal throttle response. Catch can is very functional and my guess is you would be surprised what they catch.

Plus the oil that is burned without a catch can is hard on the oxygen sensors and you will not get as good of burn trying to burn oil with gas and air.

$miley

Last edited:

Synolimit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They get very dirty over time as the oil is in the air as it is recirculated through the pcv and hose back into the TB. Yes the air flows through but the oil sticks to the TB and eventually restricts the flow some and can cause rough ideal and less than idea throttle response. Catch can is very functional and my guess is you would be surprised what they catch.

Plus the oil that is burned without a catch can is hard on the oxygen sensors and you will not get as good of burn trying to burn oil with gas and air.

$miley

Was this supposed to be a response to me? A lot of your info had nothing to do with what I said really. I have a AOS that I make so I know everything you said about a catch can. But as the OP said his was clean without one which is why I said judging the oil being let in based off the tb isn't a good idea. The manifold is a better one since again air doesn't flow backwards, it flows forwards. Unless you have some crazy turbulent air, the tb should remain somewhat clean like the OP's has for all those miles.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yes, because you are saying it should not get that dirty but many have shown that it does.
I do have a theory though I am thinking it is worse for those living where it gets colder because there is more of a difference in temps there is more moisture and the when the moisture and the oil meet they make a goo that tends to stick more. This is just a theory as I know my TB was very dirty when I did the catch can at about 50k. I don't know all the science behind it but in my case it made a big difference and I am not sure why there is so much difference between one truck and another just seems to be conditions that may make a difference. It could also be trucks that are used more for towing as I do work my truck fairly often and maybe that is a factor I am really not sure but it does seem to matter having a catch can. No I do not sell them or have a vested interest in anyone buying one.

Synolimit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, because you are saying it should not get that dirty but many have shown that it does.
I do have a theory though I am thinking it is worse for those living where it gets colder because there is more of a difference in temps there is more moisture and the when the moisture and the oil meet they make a goo that tends to stick more. This is just a theory as I know my TB was very dirty when I did the catch can at about 50k. I don't know all the science behind it but in my case it made a big difference and I am not sure why there is so much difference between one truck and another just seems to be conditions that may make a difference. It could also be trucks that are used more for towing as I do work my truck fairly often and maybe that is a factor I am really not sure but it does seem to matter having a catch can. No I do not sell them or have a vested interest in anyone buying one.

Only difference I can think of is driving style like punching it more. Someone did say the more mods or power makes more oil on the TB which kinda makes sense about what I said about turbulent air. More rpms, the more air, the more pressure in the block, the more release of that pressure and the manifold sucking the blow by out, equals more oil on the TB.

I would advocate everyone get one though. My truck has 2600 miles, I installed it at about 600 maybe 1000 and I just pulled a good 4oz of oil out of my AOS.