4X4 front diff question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Who's running their late model auto 4X4 transfer case equipped 4th gen 4X4 with-out the front diff in place. Did you get any codes running it with-out the actuator plugged in,or any leaks from the transfer case with the front driveshaft removed.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Without the front axle disconnect you'll likely get a service 4x4 light.

You shouldn't get any leaks with the front driveshaft removed.

Any reason why you're going to be doing this?

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Without the front axle disconnect you'll likely get a service 4x4 light.

You shouldn't get any leaks with the front driveshaft removed.

Any reason why you're going to be doing this?

Thanks TT. Weight reduction.Truck never goes off road and basically lives at the track on Friday nights in the summer.I swapped to 3.55's awhile ago,and never did put the axles back in when I put the 3.55 geared front diff in,now i'm kicking my ass I didn't just leave the front diff out,lol.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The transfer case outweighs the driveshaft considerably. The driveshaft bolts onto the axle and transfer case the slip is built into the driveshaft not like the old school where it actually inserted into the transfer case. I know every pound matters but 60 pounds of drive shaft is a decent savings but unless you are running fully gutted no seats, door panels, carpet, stereo, and so on its hardly worth it. Your bigger gain would come from removing the transfer case completly and running an aluminum drive shaft to some crazy tall rear gears if its really just a track vehicle.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The transfer case outweighs the driveshaft considerably. The driveshaft bolts onto the axle and transfer case the slip is built into the driveshaft not like the old school where it actually inserted into the transfer case. I know every pound matters but 60 pounds of drive shaft is a decent savings but unless you are running fully gutted no seats, door panels, carpet, stereo, and so on its hardly worth it. Your bigger gain would come from removing the transfer case completly and running an aluminum drive shaft to some crazy tall rear gears if its really just a track vehicle.

I'm not talking about removing the T-case,just the front diff assembly,you'd have to swap tranny tailshafts and do some re-programming to remove the T-case. Front axles weigh 40lbs and they've been out since I swapped front diffs,going to drop the front diff back out and pull another 80 lbs off the front of the truck. Every 100lbs is roughly a tenth,and 40lbs of what's already removed is rotating weight,haven't weighed the front diff,but it's probably in the 70 to 80 lb category,so that should pull at least a tenth or more off the trucks times,i'm actually hoping it might take closer to 2 tenths off it's times. Done some digging and it looks like as long as the actuator stays plugged in it won't throw any codes or leak any fluid,it's only 7 bolts holding the diff in,but 3 are a ***** to get at with long tubes,so for the hour it'll take to pull it,it's coming back out,lol.