4X4 & Fuel Induction Service DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all!
I had my truck in for some servicing today and I got a call about it being due for fuel induction service and 4X4 service or 4WD service as they called it. My questions are: can I do this myself (does it need to be done by the dealer), what is under the two servicings, is there a cost savings by doing it on my own (I would put in synthetic oils for sure, probably redline, not sure what the dealer uses), does anyone have the service provisions for these two, has anyone done this themselves and what are the experiences? Thanks in advance all.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What does the service manual for your truck say in regards to service intervals on the 4x4? Only things I could think of would be to inspect the cv joint boots, look for leaks, and to grease u-joints. Transfer case and front axle fluid would need to be changed at some point, I'm guessing at 60K or something similar?

On the fuel injection service, basically they want to charge you $150 to $200 to hook your truck up to something that flushes the fuel injection to clean it out. In other words, they want your money. If you really want to clean it, go buy two cans of seafoam, fill up the truck, and drive it. That will cost $15 bucks.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is called an upsell. Don't need it,,. Keep you dollars.

OP
OP
NOcasio7

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all. At the mileage I am, the 4x4 doesnt get serviced and the fuel treatment isnt mentioned at all. I usually use redline fuel treatment with my oil changes.

They did mention that they take the throttle body off and clean it, has anyone done this?

PaPa_Brewskey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my truck back from the dealer for a EGR replacement, and they wanted to do this same service. They wanted $250, I declined. They've been really good in taking care of the warranty items, but each visit gets a "recommended service" suggestion / upsell. I'm waiting for them to tell me I need power steering service!
In my experience, throttle body cleaning involves some carb clean and a rag. Take the TB cover off, spray some Carb clean on a rag, and carefully wipe out the inside of the TB, put it back together and be on your way. I Called the shop down the street, they'll do the fuel service for $125.
I do have to say, my off the line and acceleration performance is back to being like new, after the EGR replacement.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@PaPa_Brewskey was the EGR under warranty?

Did it throw a code?

How many miles on your engine?

I’m curious if this can/should be done as preventative maintenance.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hey OP get a catch can and stop the gunk from going in there before it goes through the pcv. Other then that, always ask the dealer what their service includes. I can say that many times they charge for a service and after inspecting do not do that service, but still collect. There is no service possible for cv boots, axles are so cheap when they go out you just swap them. In fact when I needed a cv boot because mine had a hole in it, they changed the entire axle even though it was working fine. Were they talking about changing transfer case fluid? Yes you can do it yourself, and many people think this is something we should do regularly. As for your 4x4 system, every 3 mos you should engage it and make sure it is operating correctly. The act of engaging it will also make is smoother, if you wait 5 years and then try your system, at a minimum you will hear a big ol clunk.

PaPa_Brewskey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@PaPa_Brewskey was the EGR under warranty?

Did it throw a code?

How many miles on your engine?

I’m curious if this can/should be done as preventative maintenance.

44k miles, it did throw a code, Was told it was the vacuum actuator valve not seating correctly. Was covered under the FCA extended warranty which my dealer included when I bought the truck.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info.

I’m at 52000 on my 14 HEMI 1500 and I’m looking at everyone that’s having little hiccups and issues lately, seems to be in the realm of 45-60000 miles. It appears these are easy and simple issues most any of us can fix if we don’t have the warranties.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963